Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

Reaction score
In 1914, one man played a major role in revolutionizing the world of photography. Many innovations later the company, whose success the developments of Oscar Barnack had made a major contribution to, stands like no other for absolute top quality and state-of-the-art camera technology „Made in Germany“: The Leica Camera AG.

In 1999, people all over the world had the dream of flying - also in China. And so the first remote-controlled electric aircraft was developed that anyone could easily launch, fly and land. Around 250 patents later, the resulting company stands for a transparent and flexible open source architecture with high security, reliability and intuitive operation of professional multicopter: Yuneec.

In 2019, Yuneec and Leica take a big, joint step together and bring the best of their respective worlds together to bring Leica photography to the skies - with the new Typhoon H3 and the ION L1 Pro camera co-engineered with Leica. For unlimited perspectives and new, creative possibilities.

YUNTYH3EU
Typhoon H3 with ION L1 Pro camera co-engineered with Leica, ST16S remote control, battery (2 pcs.), charger, neck strap for ST16S, optional patch antenna, SD card, power and USB cable

$ 2,199New Camera.jpgNew Canera 1.jpg

Attachments

• Typhoon-H3-Data-Sheet_US.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: Thecloth
Definately wasnt expecting that. Looks good, but theres quite the premium over the standard H+.

I assume H3 refers to a third generation H. However theres not much that I can see thats improved over an H+.

Also no mechanical shutter or proper waypoint survey flying.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Received 3 of those announcements this morning and almost choked on my coffee after opening the first one. A “new” model just to carry a different 20mpx, digital zoom camera?

Looking at the camera, is that a proprietary filter slot on the side? And lemme guess... this new camera will not work on the Plus or 520?

While the H3 might be similar/identical to the H+, the differences in the camera/lens might be worth noting. That is not to say that the camera is worth the extra $$$ over what comes with the H+.

Then again, it might be.

There is a saying in photography that "It's all about the glass". IE: Bodies come and go but a good lens will stay with you. Maybe the Leica designed camera will have the "glass" that stays.....

Just saying.

There is another saying in photography . . . the best camera is the one you have with you at the time ?

So let the guessing games commence. Going by what we found out was completely new and different on the Plus in comparison to it's predecessor, my guess is that the H3 will have a few pleasant surprises that will never be in Yuneec's documentation as well as a bunch of things that one would expect it to have carried forward but is dropped - hello trim pad cruise control. Well I bet that will be one of the things brought back since they mention Hyper-lapse oh; and they finally got the message and dropped the RS module.:rolleyes: It would not surprise me if they came up with a completely different battery interface too? Oh and which region is going to get them first again, EU, US or maybe both at the same time? The suspense is killing me.

Popcorn-eating-Emoji-Scared.jpg Okay, who is going to be the canary this time?

A couple of interesting tidbits from Yuneec's site

"The complete system is designed as a closed system. Due to the technical design, all communication takes place directly between the drone/camera and the ST16S remote control. Never is there a detour through a cloud solution. All of the data generated by the Typhoon H3 (photo, video and flight data) belongs exclusively to you at all times and can be saved, deleted or managed by the drone operator without any restrictions. "

"The battery system has been improved to include an additional safety mechanism that indicates whether the battery is properly engaged. "

Reactions: Steve Carr
Looks like a failure on Yuneecs side. Solidifies me not buying this. They didnt make anything new or different from the H plus.
I agree the only people this is likely to attract are the current crop of potential Plus buyers who may hold off to get one of these.

A couple of interesting tidbits from Yuneec's site

"The complete system is designed as a closed system. Due to the technical design, all communication takes place directly between the drone/camera and the ST16S remote control. Never is there a detour through a cloud solution. All of the data generated by the Typhoon H3 (photo, video and flight data) belongs exclusively to you at all times and can be saved, deleted or managed by the drone operator without any restrictions. "

"The battery system has been improved to include an additional safety mechanism that indicates whether the battery is properly engaged. "
No more battery detachment threads!?

Well they've dropped the RS and it even looks like the case and packpack are optional now.

"The complete system and its accessories can be transported in a hand luggage-sized backpack or in a protective case (both of which are optionally available)."

Well they've dropped the RS and it even looks like the case and packpack are optional now.

"The complete system and its accessories can be transported in a hand luggage-sized backpack or in a protective case (both of which are optionally available)."
Dunno why they bothered with RS in the first place. Oh, wait, I do. To generate more revenue from punters.

To me, RS was just a gimmick that I, for one, could easily do without.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Jpeg hyperlapse and a fixed aperture is not acceptable for a $2200 drone. They arent targeting professionals, they are targeting instagram users. If the camera is not usuable on either the 520 or H plus, they will lose the fan base of those who did spend 2k already for a "professional" drone.

This is why DJI owns the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430