Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone Traffic System Announced

For the moment let’s assume that system does not differentiate between user types such as pro or amateur. They are all “drones”. The article suggests permission to fly will be required for everything.

Good Grief! So someone will be making tons of money in the pay to play scheme of the future. All in the name of Homeland Security, thanks a heap GW!

How would it communicate with the network, to send all that info?

Reactions: Russ D
How would it communicate with the network, to send all that info?

Same way transponders and ADS-B functions now. Wait until you see what that equipment will cost to retrofit...

As for “pay to play”, since it was cut out of manned aviation bills they have to suck it out of someone else. Unmanned programs were left wide open so tag, we’re it.

Same way transponders and ADS-B functions now. Wait until you see what that equipment will cost to retrofit...

As for “pay to play”, since it was cut out of manned aviation bills they have to suck it out of someone else. Unmanned programs were left wide open so tag, we’re it.
That's an awful lot bigger than what fits in an aircraft to a tiny drone? They did suggest vaguely similar here, but it's on hold at the moment.

And how are they going to know? Last I checked, ATC has enough trouble keeping track of jumbo jets, how are they going to track something as small as a TH? Or is this just a pre-cursor to requiring transponders on our drones? This is getting beyond stupid, they're all aflutter over (potentially) 7 million drones in the hands of civilians, but can't seem to do anything about 300+ million guns? Don't get me wrong, I'm a gun owner, too, I just can't seem to avoid controversial hobbies :rolleyes:. But it begs the question, just how many folks are killed by drones every year, and how much damage is done by/with them? I know there are irresponsible jerks flying these things, but this is really starting to feel like officious nonsense, they're just asking for an increase in people ignoring unreasonable rules and regulations. Anyone know/remember the origination of the term "scofflaw"? Look it up, we're heading that way IMO. I got back into this hobby to have fun, but it's starting to look like they're trying to regulate all the fun out. Okay, someone else's turn on the soapbox, later.

Dave

Reactions: Rubik
That's an awful lot bigger than what fits in an aircraft to a tiny drone? They did suggest vaguely similar here, but it's on hold at the moment.

The equipment does not need to be large. Click the link for an example. XP Transponders – Sagetech

There are a few issues with using one though. They cannot frequency conflict with our command, control, and video links or generate RMI/EMI that can interefer with our autopilots. They consume a considerable amount of electrical power. They have to be certified by the FAA prior to being used. Failure to obtain equipment certification elicits an FAA cease and desist use order. That has already happened with uncertified sUAS transponders. The installation must be performed by a certified FAA avionics technician or facility. They need to be periodically checked after installation to assure they are functionally correct and transmitting the correct ID data. The FAA can and will cite an owner/user if the equipment malfunctions and transmits incorrect info. They are not cheap.

Wow, and I thought our "Interim Regulations" from Transport Minister Marc Garneau were harsh. They will back off on June 1, even including night time flights (Subject to having lights that can be seen, which our Yuneec products do). This is really starting to clamp down. Someone is having a "Chicken Little" moment. - The sky is falling/full of drones. Hopefully, this doesn't go through for you. We have our stupid moments too. As of June 1, the only way a tourist from out of country can fly your drone is under the supervision of a Canadian certified pilot. That pretty much lets our out of country friends down. I'm rooting for you, but it only goes to show how a few bad apples can spoil our hobby for all of us.

Anyone seen the latest Farmer’s Insurance commercial with a quad slamming into a windshield?

The media blitz is on.

Great, just the media we do not need. Way to stoke everyone's fears... The ratio of accidents involving vehicles and drones has to be less than an % of 1% but, you can stoke up everyone's fears and sell more insurance. I counted 15 drones on their "board", but only about 4 of them had impact damage consistent with hitting something hard. The others either had a broken prop or prop guard. Not too hard a hit. Also, this is 15 drone strikes in how many years, compared to how many accidents?

Last edited:
Anyone seen the latest Farmer’s Insurance commercial with a quad slamming into a windshield?

The media blitz is on.

The first time I saw a "drone" crash used for an insurance commercial (State Farm) over a year ago was with Green Bay Quarterback Aaron Rodgers; in that commercial team mate Clay Matthews crashed into Rodgers truck. I just loved how the craft had made an impact crater the size of a basketball and stayed mostly intact. :rolleyes:

The media blitz is on.

@PatR,

You talking about this one - Hidden Drone - ?

Jeff

P.S. From the angle of approach, one might think the thing should have simply bounced up and over. But then, that would kinda spoil the spot, eh? ?

Reactions: PatR and Ty Pilot
That’s the latest. To me it seems to be a continuation of the 3 year old negative reporting directed at public drones. During this same period their reporting about civil drones has been completely positive.

We certainly have our share of fools and morons participating, and they do perform recklessly, however there are still no pre purchase training requirements for buyers. Nor is there any apparent active enforcement for rule violators. To obey rules people first have to be made cognizant of the rules and once aware they need to fear enforcement. Most do not obey laws out of respect for them, but do so because they fear the repercussions experienced by others through enforcement actions. Rules lacking enforcement do not elicit compliance.

While all the most recent public drone negativity has been taking place numerous police departments here and abroad have been obtaining positive publicity about their acquisition of the same drones used by the public. People need to understand the most dangerous drones are the ones operated by government agencies, be they used for weapons delivery or surveillance. Surveillance drones are actually the most dangerous as they collect information, both physical location and electronic signal broadcast, that will be used to determine later actions for control of the general population.

Last edited:
I would think so. I have had some large rocks that almost went through my windshield, but they came in with a plunging trajectory, not straight on. But, as you say, that wouldn't make a good commercial. Not scary enough.

I would like see them do a commercial with the mounted deer heads from all the road kill in Michigan every year for their insurance claims. Not to mention the deaths that occur from many of those interactions. Of course the ultra tree huggers would have it banned for animal cruelty. The deer population in lower Michigan is about 2 to 3 times what it was before Michigan gained statehood and most are corn and soy fed.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
Fellow Pilots,

FYI

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Hello people from Australia,
From where I sit it seems to me that you poor folks in the States are continually persecuted by false and malicious advertisments at your expense and without pause.
Fellow Pilots,

FYI

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
BS affles brains

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis