Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New FAA Drone Rules coming... Things to know

I do question how the new certification process will work since they are deciding everyone who wishes to fly a drone will have something equivalent to the 107. I guess the children under 16 won’t be eligible to exam and therefore can not fly a drone even if they grow up in a family of pilots and their parents make a living with them. Could really hurt the manufacturers since the majority of drones in retail centers are market and designed for beginners and children.

I sent this video to a friend (Aviation Safety Inspector) at the FAA Orlando Flight Standards District Office, I want to see what his "opinion" is.

Last edited:
Meant to include a few additional bits....
**UPDATE - October 3rd, 2018** The bill passed the Senate overwhelmingly. It now heads to President Trump's desk who is expected to sign it. Let's hope that some sensible regulations are put forth by the FAA after all of the pilot studies and testing is completed.

Here is the full bill of H.R. 302: http://src.bna.com/B1d
Pages 247 to 348 cover UAV rules and regulations.

If you want to watch more on it, watch XJET's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcjJF...

Article from NBC about shooting down drones: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nati...

Last edited:
Thank all the people that abuse privileges for these laws. Like everything else, it boils down to maturity and common sense. Abuse it and the politicians take over

Thank all the people that abuse privileges for these laws. Like everything else, it boils down to maturity and common sense. Abuse it and the politicians take over
That does have a lot of truth, accurate in many ways! The maturity comes at all ages for some, but it does ring out to me when I see what some do with their drones and where... and it tends to be younger folks that don't feel rules or cautions applies. Directly coupled is the advancement in product... photography drones fly with practically no knowledge of controls. Prior to Drones, you didn't see a lot of RC Planes or Heli's not just due to a lack of camera but mainly due to the difficulty to fly and the expense to repair.

That said, it's also a migration of the product from a few to a larger percentage that presents the drone more readily in the eyes and social life of the general population. This has been additionally stimulated by adopting the photography drone into more occupational fields and higher density neighborhoods. Another factor, is the imaginary world of cinema. The drone has been conceptualized as a super "go-go gizmo" device that spy into windows, though walls, and hover silently filming everything in perfect video. This too has stimulated the push for more regulations & controls.

Having a test of unknown content to obtain a "clear to fly" isn't as concerning to me a other points within the new Regs. I'm pretty confident the PT107 will increase in complexity, but the general hobbyist test will probably be minimal and easily passed by a 12 year old RC Enthusiast. I'm all for a general low level test, it helps to enforce the acceptance that flying UAV's requires responsibility. But sadly, I think the collection of this certificate / authorization / license... what ever it's called will be so large that I don't think it'll be monitored by the FAA as intended, but it will provide a tool to breach privacy for local Law Enforcement to utilize and collect names, addresses, etc.

Reactions: biltno and PatR
But currently I can register a drone with the FAA under the 107 section even though there is no check to see if you passed and have certification. So for 5 bucks I get a tail number and told to fly within the established guidelines. It still seems under 400’ is our airspace in most places where other restrictions don’t override that. So is DHS going to start enforcing these new rules? We can’t even fix potholes but rogue drones will be dealt with? Maybe YouTube will help enforce it lol.

I expect to see the 400’ rule enforced in one manner or another. For big money corporations to field revenue generating long range, long duration BLOS systems, control of airspace and small system users is an absolute necessity. The most likely means of enforcing the rule is through software limitations. An eventual addition of discrete identifier broadcasting is almost a certainty, although not included in this bill.

Everything we are seeing come to pass was initiated in 2007 with the original ARC committee. It’s just required a long time to incorporate what the aerospace and large commercial players required. We should understand that process is not even close to complete, with more rules and restrictions still forthcoming. Despite all the media hysteria about rouge drones and threats to airlines we should remember the vast majority of their cries of alarm and indignation have been fabrications, with the White House lawn incursion performed by a clearance level government employee. Although safety is the stated reason for these new laws my view has safety being the least credible reason for them. It’s about a lot of money, mostly going to big businesses lobbying government, with an expansion of power and control tossed in to ice the cake.

Last edited:
I am still POed by all the regulation that does NOT separate RADIO CONTROLLED aircraft from the true autonomous drones.
I have one true drone in my fleet, and it is a fixed wing aircraft. I can program in a flight path, take off, hit a switch and off in will go on its own. For the Typhoon H series. the only time it is truly autonomous is during a RTH function. At all other times the pilot is commanding it via Radio control.

Reactions: record.play.rewind
Hobbyist flyers will be fine if you follow the rules and have been doing so all along. We have a few more rules to follow but its no big deal, the ones that will have issues are the "Screw you FAA" guys and those flyers never followed the rules anyway so time will catch up to them at some point. I see nothing at all so far (this can change) that will put an end to Hobby drone flying.

Only problem with that video is its over a month old and as it turns out things for Hobbyist are not that bad afterall
The focus was the money driven aspects. Agree not so bad now, but the Regs aren’t done... it’s evolving and most likely will increase.

Hobbyist flyers will be fine if you follow the rules and have been doing so all along. We have a few more rules to follow but its no big deal, the ones that will have issues are the "Screw you FAA" guys and those flyers never followed the rules anyway so time will catch up to them at some point. I see nothing at all so far (this can change) that will put an end to Hobby drone flying.

True, the majority of the Hobbyist rules “may’ not change, although I do feel several more limitations will be implemented that narrow the flexibility of the Hobbyist flight to be more limited, similar to Commercial. Exp: night flying.

The repeal of Sec. 336 can have an effect on the Hobbyist; that outcome is currently not fully known pending additional revisions or sections to new regulations.

Although I do wholeheartly agree that the Hobbyist won’t be so regulated that RC Flying is difficult. For the same reason’s as the new regulations... money! Too much income possibilities feeding the sport and UAV industry.

The 400’ rule for hobbyists effectively kills RC aviation where aerobatics and soaring is concerned. It also pretty much puts and end to international and national competitions. Multirotors are really only a small part of recreational RC aviation, with the majority being punished and restricted to control the minority. What’s tragic is that without RC aviation our little toys would have never achieved conception let alone the popularity they now have. All of the developments that brought about our flight controllers, autopilots, and miniature camera systems began life in fixed wing model aircraft. Most of what is used in military platforms also started in the same place.

The 400’ rule for hobbyists effectively kills RC aviation where aerobatics and soaring is concerned. It also pretty much puts and end to international and national competitions. Multirotors are really only a small part of recreational RC aviation, with the majority being punished and restricted to control the minority. What’s tragic is that without RC aviation our little toys would have never achieved conception let alone the popularity they now have. All of the developments that brought about our flight controllers, autopilots, and miniature camera systems began life in fixed wing model aircraft. Most of what is used in military platforms also started in the same place.

Very True! All great points! Nothing like watching 1/4 scale events! Yep, the drone is a descendent of the RC Planes & Heli’s... without their years of technology & RF development the drones wouldn’t even be a glow plug on the horizon.

But it is the drones that have generated all the havic in society, profits & politics. I personally find it sadly humorous that the layman doesn’t realize the difference. Had a 330 collective Heli out in driveway.... struggling to maintain a hover, some neighbors commented on it being a cool drone, they hadn’t seen one with just 1 propeller. I explained it was an RC Heli without all the stability electronics or camera... they asked why with a confused look.

The RC Planes & Heli’s basically went unnoticed by society unless you were directly involved. The drones have made an impact practically everywhere... mention the word “drone” to a 10 - 90 yr old and you’ll get a reaction.. positive or negative. Indicates how saturated drones have become, even though a small percentage have actually seen one close enough to touch.... opinions present.

Well the local news has made the word "Drone" seem like and beginning of Skynet and the way the local news reports any drone event they give the impression that the drone is always the problem but when it turns out the drone in the story is not the problem the News channel never comes back to correct it

But yes, the video above does cover the basics very well but most of the other videos covering this same topic is nothing more than a complete over reaction and say its the end of the drone world.

Well the local news has made the word "Drone" seem like and beginning of Skynet and the way the local news reports any drone event they give the impression that the drone is always the problem but when it turns out the drone in the story is not the problem the News channel never comes back to correct it
Oh totally spot on! The media has made the Drone practically a self thinking robot capable of all sorts of evil. Rarely covers the good... especially when you clearly see drone footage in every flood coverage, search rescue gathering, shooting, etc... where technically since their pilot has to be a 107, some of their shots could be questioned as appropriate/legal.

Oh... forgot, media has separate rules than whom they complain about... LoL!! :eek:

They don’t want to correct it. The story achieved the desired result. If anyone thinks there has not been a coordinated effort to demonize hobby level drones they are out of step with corporate reality. I’ve sat through aerospace meetings, reviewed Power Points, and spoken with people that participate in the ARC committee and various FAA drone groups and a common complaint is lack of control at the recreational level. We are standing at the foot of a ladder under construction, where each new rung will make it progressively more difficult for recreational and low budget operators to participate.

As for the “Skynet” aspect, that is precisely what is to transpire after the heavy iron, big money long range, long duration drones are turned loose. Their payload designs are highly developed and specialize in population surveillance and area recon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacy
Interesting Video on new FAA rules.
If you haven't been doing much reading... this is a nice crib notes video.

I actually think most points are valid and I would support them. There are so many drone pilots breaking the laws, of course, there are many pilots that do not break laws. I do not agree with confiscating someone's property without a court hearing. Maybe a warning first, not confirmation. I don't think local law enforcement is educated enough in this field to do so. FAA is another thing.

It is unlawful to shoot down ANY aircraft without FAA authorization.

Thanks fir the info and I will send out an email to my senator in Colorado immediately.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin