Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New in DFW, Can't Thank You Enough!

Fred Garvin

Holding Short
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
Greetings all,

I got my H Pro about a month ago and have been visiting this forum quite a bit. I can't thank you guys enough for all the information and help to be found here! It's amazing really. Every single question I've had, and there's been quite a few, has an answer here. In fact, its kinda become a game just to try and find something about the H, ST16, batteries, flying, anything at all really....that hasn't been covered....so far I'm not finding anything. Thought I had one processing DNG's with Lightroom looking for a camera profile to apply with chromatic removal....nope. Had that one too. I haven't posted yet 'cause, well, I haven't had anything to post. Search answers every question I've had. Every. Single. One.

I'm a professional photographer expanding my offerings with aerial imagery and video for MLS Listings, construction process photography, and just generally expanding operations with the many doors this will open. I bought a couple cheap toy drones (Syma X5 and Tello) to learn to fly.....but quickly outgrew them and started looking for a more capable unit to fly outside. I'm not ready to invest in a final platform for operations, but I did get in on the refurb H Pros at $699 before the lower priced offerings popped up, but that's okay. This H Pro will actually work for some things, like MLS Listings and such, so it's not wasted money. I think it's a great unit to take the next step with.

I'm coming into this from scratch....no background in drones and RC craft, but I do have an aviation background. I'm studying for the 107 Knowledge test.....working through ASA Test Prep video's and software now in addition to studying ASA's Droner's Manual, Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Guide and Complete Remote Pilot, plus all the FAA handbooks, AC's, etc downloaded to reference as required during studies. I think I've put down a pretty solid foundation to build on and should be ready for the test when the government shuts down. (my usual luck) I've also been using the improved H User Manual, the greatly expanded version over the factory manual. Thanks to the advice here I've established a LiPo battery care system with a balanced charger, logging and a couple new UltraX batteries for a total of 4. I'm very lucky to have 2 city parks within 2 miles of my house I can fly at.....local police recommended them as that's where "lot's of people fly drones", and I've met a few fellow pilots while flying. My suburb is in a small pocket of the DFW Metroplex where it's good to fly. The E starts at 700 and DFW's B starts at 3000 to 11,000, so I'm in G around here. I have the DFW Sectional and TAC, plus use UAV Forecast and UAV Toolbox. Still have a long way to go with only 17 hours in my logbook so far.

Again, in addition to just saying hi and introducing myself, I really can't thank you guys enough for all the effort and dedication to helping others and documenting so many issues, opinions and information here. This forum is an amazing wealth of info!

Scott
(Fred Garvin is my Internet Avatar I use on forums)

Welcome Fred! We have similar backrounds, being photographer first... adding the pilot skills later. I'm glad you have found things more easily... this was my primary goal when we started this re-organization of the forum several months ago. As I'm sure you've read, there are many users of this forum perfectly willing to give up their stores of knowledge... simply for the asking.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Welcome Fred, er Scott!

Same as Eagle... photographer first, then pilot. My hope was to reinvigorate my passion for photography by adding an untapped (for me) perspective.

I think it is safe to say: “mission accomplished!”

Welcome to your next addiction!

Jeff

P.S. Does Dan know you stole one of his personae?

Last edited:
Welcome to YuneecPilots!

My background is close you all of you, being an amateur photographer since my early teens. I love the hobby and the transition to digital is a major boon to the hobby/profession. The additional thrill of aerial photography without renting a plane and pilot is awesome.

Best of luck in the new branch of your ventures!

Greetings all,

I got my H Pro about a month ago and have been visiting this forum quite a bit. I can't thank you guys enough for all the information and help to be found here! It's amazing really. Every single question I've had, and there's been quite a few, has an answer here. In fact, its kinda become a game just to try and find something about the H, ST16, batteries, flying, anything at all really....that hasn't been covered....so far I'm not finding anything. Thought I had one processing DNG's with Lightroom looking for a camera profile to apply with chromatic removal....nope. Had that one too. I haven't posted yet 'cause, well, I haven't had anything to post. Search answers every question I've had. Every. Single. One.

I'm a professional photographer expanding my offerings with aerial imagery and video for MLS Listings, construction process photography, and just generally expanding operations with the many doors this will open. I bought a couple cheap toy drones (Syma X5 and Tello) to learn to fly.....but quickly outgrew them and started looking for a more capable unit to fly outside. I'm not ready to invest in a final platform for operations, but I did get in on the refurb H Pros at $699 before the lower priced offerings popped up, but that's okay. This H Pro will actually work for some things, like MLS Listings and such, so it's not wasted money. I think it's a great unit to take the next step with.

I'm coming into this from scratch....no background in drones and RC craft, but I do have an aviation background. I'm studying for the 107 Knowledge test.....working through ASA Test Prep video's and software now in addition to studying ASA's Droner's Manual, Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Guide and Complete Remote Pilot, plus all the FAA handbooks, AC's, etc downloaded to reference as required during studies. I think I've put down a pretty solid foundation to build on and should be ready for the test when the government shuts down. (my usual luck) I've also been using the improved H User Manual, the greatly expanded version over the factory manual. Thanks to the advice here I've established a LiPo battery care system with a balanced charger, logging and a couple new UltraX batteries for a total of 4. I'm very lucky to have 2 city parks within 2 miles of my house I can fly at.....local police recommended them as that's where "lot's of people fly drones", and I've met a few fellow pilots while flying. My suburb is in a small pocket of the DFW Metroplex where it's good to fly. The E starts at 700 and DFW's B starts at 3000 to 11,000, so I'm in G around here. I have the DFW Sectional and TAC, plus use UAV Forecast and UAV Toolbox. Still have a long way to go with only 17 hours in my logbook so far.

Again, in addition to just saying hi and introducing myself, I really can't thank you guys enough for all the effort and dedication to helping others and documenting so many issues, opinions and information here. This forum is an amazing wealth of info!

Scott
Welcome to the forum @Fred Garvin

Like many of us, I come from a background in photography, videography, and 1/4 scale RC helicopters. I know you will enjoy having added the H to your toolkit of gear. There is nothing better than the first flight of any craft, but the Hex platform is simply amazing with endless possibilities. I run two ST16's so that I can have one run the camera, and the other run the H. Well worth the investment for the second controller.

Feel free to ask any moderator for help at any time, and have fun!

Murray

Greetings all,

Scott
Glad we could be of help to you. Best of luck.

Thanks guys.....I’m having a lot of fun with it so far.

Jeff, I’ve been using Fred Garvin for about 5 years now. I haven’t encountered anyone else using it yet. (And I’d be over the Moon if Dan contacted me or commented on it!)

Glad to know there’s other togs here. I’m a Nikon shooter.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Started with the older German 35mm cameras my Dad got while he was in the Air Force in the early 50’s all manual settings, but one did have a range finder focus on it. Started developing my own B/W in 8th grade and loved working in the darkroom.

Graduated to a Minolta XD11 and doing color processing after graduating high school.

After retiring I started using Canon DSLR equipment, but am still stuck on using Adobe CS 5 and Lightroom 3. This subscription based sales method is great if you are making money in the business, but is way too much when it is just a passionate hobby on a fixed income.

Those older German optics are excellent.....you know modern Hasselblad systems are based on German aerial surveillance cameras captured during the war. An H6D is a dream camera for me. I almost pulled the trigger on an X1D system, but invested in Nikon instead after much thought and soul searching.

Although a business expense, I pay only $17.99 a month for the Photographers Bundle. I get always current Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom CC (for iPad field use), Bridge and a couple others plus 1TB storage on Creative Cloud. I justify it by telling myself that’s less than 1 pizza delivered, and just get 1 less pizza a month.

Those older German optics are excellent.....you know modern Hasselblad systems are based on German aerial surveillance cameras captured during the war. An H6D is a dream camera for me. I almost pulled the trigger on an X1D system, but invested in Nikon instead after much thought and soul searching.

Although a business expense, I pay only $17.99 a month for the Photographers Bundle. I get always current Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom CC (for iPad field use), Bridge and a couple others plus 1TB storage on Creative Cloud. I justify it by telling myself that’s less than 1 pizza delivered, and just get 1 less pizza a month.

Is premiere pro and after effects included in that bundle? Would need it for editing the 4K video. Unfortunately CS5 doesn’t handle 4K, only up to 1080p.

No, and that’s a path I have yet to really start exploring. I’ve shot video in 1920x1280/30 and made clips in iMovie, exported for online viewing....laps around the park kinda stuff mainly for my own viewing, (boring to everyone else) but real quality video I would actually provide to a paying client, haven’t gone there yet. Just not part of my skill set....yet anyway. I’m due for a technology refresh on my desktop. Was hoping for new 8th gen iMacs back in October but didn’t happen. Will get Final Cut when I do that, or Adobe since I’m already invested in that solution.

I will create and share the lens profile for typhoon h later.welcome and enjoy it!

I will create and share the lens profile for typhoon h later.welcome and enjoy it!

So it should help automatically correct for lens aberrations and such in Lightroom?

That would be great! There’s a Yuneec CGO2 profile already there and that’s the one I used....better than nothing. It was suggested in a thread here as being “close enough”, and it does save a little work.

Doom.....yeah, that’s what they do....fix up any pincushion and distortions. It’s usually a very minor adjustment, depending on the lens, but does make a difference. Plus, you can setup an import profile that automatically applies the profile (among many other things you can set) when you ingest the images

Your first post was a refreshing read Scott, welcome to the forum. Like you, I read this forum for over a month before even joining and felt like I knew everyone before they knew me.;) It is truly one of the nicest forums on the net and a wealth of knowledge for Yuneec operator's.

Thanks Ty.....yes, you get to know the ones who know their stuff and opinions you can trust. I’ve found it’s always better to get to know the place and the people before deciding to jump in....plus I had a lot of learning to do to get up to speed and like I said, ALL my questions were answered on stickies and using search. It’s amazing just how much ground has been covered and documented. (And I’m not “that guy” who asks a question for the 1000th time)

@
That would be great! There’s a Yuneec CGO2 profile already there and that’s the one I used....better than nothing. It was suggested in a thread here as being “close enough”, and it does save a little work.

Doom.....yeah, that’s what they do....fix up any pincushion and distortions. It’s usually a very minor adjustment, depending on the lens, but does make a difference. Plus, you can setup an import profile that automatically applies the profile (among many other things you can set) when you ingest the images
Sorry for the delay since I met some problem when do the profile calibration. Will share it once done.

No rush.....the CGO2 profile is better than nothing. Thanks for your efforts!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio