Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New member from Maumee Ohio

Reaction score
Hi all! I just joined but not new to flying.
I am a fixed wing RC model flyer and member of the Toledo Flying Tigers RC club.
I am an AMA member and a ham radio operator holding my Amature Extra class license.
I have a dozen or so airplanes up to a 30cc gas Escapade MX and a 250 FPV Quad.
I am looking to purchase a Typhoon from Horizon Hobby but thought I would get some feedback. I also am considering the DJI Mavic Pro.
I am a photography enthusiasts but beyond that not sure what I would do with the drone so I am interested in what everyone uses theirs for.

The one I am looking at is at this url:
Typhoon H RTF in Backpack with RealSense, ST16, CGO3+ | HorizonHobby

Thanks
John

Hi John,

Welcome aboard, nice to meet a fellow RC flier. I have flown both planes and helis for years but am mostly into scale flying, while it looks neat, I've never personally been into the 3D heli acrobatics other than possibly inverted. Personally I'm partial to Yuneec over DJI but I won't discourage you from DJI if that's the direction you want to head in. My biggest reason for choosing Yuneec is no forced firmware updates. By forced, I mean, DJI will eventually ground you unless you remain current. While I get their reasoning, to me it seems a little heavy handed.

So for use? Primarily aerial photography or video. BTW - If you shop around, you may find a better deal on the Pro Version with RealSense. I have nothing against HorizonHobby, I personally have a lot of their stuff, but you might find it cheaper.

BTW - Flying this computer/robot is a whole different ball game from what you've been used to. I target this last comment to another experienced flyer only. "I'm not saying it doesn't take skill or familiarity but these new drones practically fly themselves."

There's s a ton of information here, make sure to use of the search feature of this site.

Greg

I just got my first fixed wing but won't be able to fly until the weather is better. My H, however, can fly in nearly everything but rain. Even strong gusty wind has not been a problem. These machines are built as stable photo and video platforms and that's where they shine. I use it primarily for 4K videography.

Unless you really need the RealSense, you can fly just fine without it and save a lot of money. Extra batteries are more useful. The standard package is around $799.

While DJI makes some nice products, you are dependent on them for "permission" to fly. Yuneec products can be flown right out of the box with no apps, no phone and no company registration. It's a complete standalone flying system. I prefer not to be under the control of a company from China.

Reactions: Chewman
Thanks Greg and Steve for the feedback, it's just the kind of info I need. Hope to follow you around the site!
John

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec quadcopters.
Enjoy!
*User Manuals: Support Downloads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz