Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Member New to Drones

Reaction score
Howdy all.
I have returned to a interest of flying RC. I have been intrigued for some time in drones. I also am a amateur photographer. So the Ist of this week while at Wally World looking at Digital Antennas, I happened by a display of drones. Now I will admit I know didly about drones! No research, no hours cruising the WEB to get any ideas as to what was available for a beginner. As luck would have it, I purchased the Breeze. The last one in stock for $149.00 + tax. You bet I hit the WEB and gleened all I could find. What I read was impressive and I feel my gut instincts was correct for purchasing. Went back yesterday and bought the last two batteries in stock for $16.00 + tx. I have down loaded the App and have started the learning curve of flying this little beasty. I will say, compaired to flying winged and helos, this is just crazy cool. So any tips will be most welcomed. Am a member of the AMA and have registered with the FAA. I live just at the 5 mile limit of a small airport.
Rick

Rick,

Welcome to the YuneecPilots community!

We are a group that shares our knowledge of the hobby/business and welcome pilots of all skill levels and backgrounds. Please read the Community Rules found at the bottom of the webpage, and make use of the Forum Search (it is restricted to this forum) for any question you have before posting. Chances are that the answer is waiting for your question. That being said, please join in and share your experiences with the community.

I was in a similar boat 3 months ago. Lots of RC experience (planes and helicopters) and no drone experience. Here’s my recommendation;

1) in the help section you will find a ‘fun quiz’ - find out the answers if you don’t know. This will give you a good chance of success with the drone.

2) be aware of the NFZ’s - no fly zones. While it’s tempting to fly anywhere it leads to many issues with many people.

3) find a large open space, calibrate, and proceed slowly. KNOW what will happen when you push ANY button. Know how the software is set up for all parameters.

4) take your time. There are many where the drone just fly’s away! Many are trying to figure out the issues.

5) have fun.

Rick,

Welcome to the YuneecPilots community!

We are a group that shares our knowledge of the hobby/business and welcome pilots of all skill levels and backgrounds. Please read the Community Rules found at the bottom of the webpage, and make use of the Forum Search (it is restricted to this forum) for any question you have before posting. Chances are that the answer is waiting for your question. That being said, please join in and share your experiences with the community.
Thank you for the welcome and advice. Will do just as you have pointed out reguarding the Forum.

I was in a similar boat 3 months ago. Lots of RC experience (planes and helicopters) and no drone experience. Here’s my recommendation;

1) in the help section you will find a ‘fun quiz’ - find out the answers if you don’t know. This will give you a good chance of success with the drone.

2) be aware of the NFZ’s - no fly zones. While it’s tempting to fly anywhere it leads to many issues with many people.

3) find a large open space, calibrate, and proceed slowly. KNOW what will happen when you push ANY button. Know how the software is set up for all parameters.

4) take your time. There are many where the drone just fly’s away! Many are trying to figure out the issues.

5) have fun.
Howdy Scott, good advice my friend. Looks to be sound and well thought out. The NFZ's, I have been checking them out for my location. I will check the quiz out. Your suggestion of one taking their time to familiarize the craft and controls is most excellent. Learned this lession with my first helicopter....$600.00 down the drain in the first flight! But as we all know, reguardless of craft, there is a learning curve, and to not heed is disasters in the making. Again, thank you and I look forward to any and all advice. I do have a question? When Return to Home command is given and there is sufficient juice in the battery!
Does the Breeze return back to the same exact spot it lifted off from. Just curious, I am most impressed with the capabilities of these little flying marvels.
Rick

When RTH is initiated by you or by loss of WiFi connection it will raise itself to the RTH height set in Drone Settings if it is below that height (if at or above that height it will remain at that height). It will then fly a straight path back to the point of takeoff and land itself.

If at anytime you need to halt the RTH, just press the RTH again and the Breeze will hover in its present position.

Before you fly in an area, scan for obstructions you may encounter and set the RTH height in Drone Settings to a value about 10 feet higher than the highest obstruction in the area. Also choose a takeoff point that has nothing above it so an RTH return has a clear path to the takeoff point.

Reactions: RGHensley
When RTH is initiated by you or by loss of WiFi connection it will raise itself to the RTH height set in Drone Settings if it is below that height (if at or above that height it will remain at that height). It will then fly a straight path back to the point of takeoff and land itself.

If at anytime you need to halt the RTH, just press the RTH again and the Breeze will hover in its present position.

Before you fly in an area, scan for obstructions you may encounter and set the RTH height in Drone Settings to a value about 10 feet higher than the highest obstruction in the area. Also choose a takeoff point that has nothing above it so an RTH return has a clear path to the takeoff point.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
Rick

For me, the best experience in flying a new smart drone was after i flew it up 60 feet in the air from my backyard, I suddenly craved for coffee,, went inside the house,,, came out with a cup of hot coffee,,,, whoah! the drone still hovered in its place.

My first 60 size Ledgend helicopter was a disaster too! I took my time, learned slowly and still... crash doing autorotations. Live and learn. My newer Trex 600 (battery powered) much easier to fly and I’ve got a bit more experience now. Anyway Steve is a good moderator and will steer you right too.

You have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

I also found GPS hold very nice after flying helicopters where the collective stick (throttle) is always moving!

My first 60 size Ledgend helicopter was a disaster too! I took my time, learned slowly and still... crash doing autorotations. Live and learn. My newer Trex 600 (battery powered) much easier to fly and I’ve got a bit more experience now. Anyway Steve is a good moderator and will steer you right too.

You have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

I also found GPS hold very nice after flying helicopters where the collective stick (throttle) is always moving!
I too ended a really expensive copter on her maiden flight. Funny, my next was a Trex as well and pretty much learned to fly helos with that awsome machine (electric). I have to admitt I am pretty juiced over this little flying camera. Have taken it slow and cautiously when flying. The GPS hold is just crazy cool. Thanks for your input.
Rick

Yes, I find the GPS hold very interesting too! It’s a no-brainer but trust is required after flying helicopters. Looking away still bugs me as we’d never do that with a helicopter. Anyway, fun technology.

Reactions: RGHensley

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aicyberwatch