Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New member with a gripe.

Reaction score
The Q500 that I have only owned for 19 months is in my opinion not worth it. The battery went in the first 12months and now that I have had to purchase a new one I have found that the charger is also not working. I just sent an email to Yuneec to complain and of course I got a bump back. If a company does not stand by its product what is the company? I have had enough of spending hard earned money for no result. I will watch this forum for similar or not replies. Thanks all for letting me vent my frustration.

I think it's a case of slightly misaligned expectations. Whilst I can see how it is totally reasonable to just expect these things to work out of the box, and then continue doing so, the reality is still somewhat different to that. LiPo batteries do fail, especially if not looked after properly, and the charger Yuneec provide is really pretty horrible and just meant to get you going before you get a proper balance charger. Their instructions won't warn you of this of course, but forums like this will, so it really is a case of pre-warned is pre-armed.

The Q500 is a pretty decent machine, and can get really nice video. If I was in your place I would get a couple of new batteries, a balance charger, and the adapter leads, and restore your machine to life, where if you look after it and fly it often it should give you years of enjoyable flying...

Oh, hello, and welcome to the forum, btw ! :)

My first Q500 cost $1200 and that was almost 4 yrs ago. It used the CGO2 camera which wasn't really great and I picked up an aftermarket charger to properly maintain the battery. But at the time the Q was a fantastic upgrade from a Phantom 2. The gimbal is fantastic, it's quiet and flies very smoothly. That same machine is still flying just as well as it did then. And the warranty was for 6 mo. The batteries now have a warranty of 30 days which is similar to nearly all quadcopters.

Reactions: DCH
[QUOTE = "AeroJ, post: 158181, member: 16207"] Je pense que c'est un cas d'attentes légèrement mal alignées. Bien que je puisse voir comment il est tout à fait raisonnable de s’attendre à ce que ces choses fonctionnent immédiatement, puis de continuer à le faire, la réalité est encore quelque peu différente. Les batteries LiPo échouent, en particulier si elles ne sont pas entretenues correctement, et le chargeur fourni par Yuneec est vraiment horrible et conçu pour vous permettre de continuer avant d’obtenir un chargeur d’équilibre approprié. Leurs instructions ne vous avertiront évidemment pas de cela, mais des forums comme celui-ci le feront, il s'agit donc vraiment d'un cas de pré-averti ou de pré-armé.

Le Q500 est une machine assez décente, et peut obtenir une très belle vidéo. Si j'étais à votre place, j'aurais quelques nouvelles batteries, un chargeur de balance et l'adaptateur, puis je redonnerais vie à votre machine. Si vous la surveillez et la volez souvent, elle vous procurera des années de vol agréable. ..

Oh, bonjour, et bienvenue sur le forum, d'ailleurs! :)[/CITATION]

I had an issue with two Q500s right out of the box, had to send them both back. First one flew beautifully like @Steve Carr's, I was very impressed with it, but it developed an excessively noisy and extremely hot motor during the first flight, the other one never got off the ground. They say 3rd time's the charm, but with so much time lost over the exchanges, I decided to just get the H with it's more advance features and be done with it. No regrets so far, love the H.

I understand entirely, and I have been in similar situations with other products and brands. I have heard of the quality control and customer service issues with Yuneec. Apparently I have been lucky. I have a Typhoon G, a Typhoon Q500, a Typhoon H and I have a Tornado H920 in the box sitting in my drone lab right now. So far I have had zero issues that I didn't learn to resolve myself by being a better operator - often thanks to the members here or doing some research on my own. As my uncle used to say 'anybody can make a lemon' - basically when a company grows so big, quality control can be an issue and new users can be turned off to the brand. So don't let the experience spoil you to it, chances are you got a lemon. It's a good drone and with some practice and experience it's even a great drone. With the addition of extra batteries and a few necessary accessories you won't be able to tell the difference in your Typhoon's video and a much more expensive commercial drone. Hope Yuneec can turn it around for you. In the UK their customer service gets rave reviews, not so much here. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Chef

The Q500 that I have only owned for 19 months is in my opinion not worth it. The battery went in the first 12months and now that I have had to purchase a new one I have found that the charger is also not working. I just sent an email to Yuneec to complain and of course I got a bump back. If a company does not stand by its product what is the company? I have had enough of spending hard earned money for no result. I will watch this forum for similar or not replies. Thanks all for letting me vent my frustration.

Just because the new battery is "new", does not mean it hasn't been sitting in a warehouse for a long time. The stock Yuneec charger will display a solid red "error", and not begin charging, if the battery is already below a certain voltage. (maybe someone can add the specific voltage threshold, I don't remember.)

Couple things that might help:
1.) Does the charger show a flashing green light when first connected to the power supply (without connecting battery} ?
2.) If green light is not flashing, check the fuse on top of the charger.
3.) Do you have a way to check the actual voltage on the new battery? If so, please post the current voltage back to this thread. Again, maybe someone who knows the required voltage can comment.
4.) Do you know anyone with one of the advanced chargers that can help?

Also, there is some caution required. LIPOs are safe and effective when used properly, but they are not the same as the common batteries most of us use around the house. Please read some of the very good posts on the batteries you can find on this forum and elsewhere. And for sure, do the charging OUTSIDE, or within a fire safe enclosure inside.

Last edited:
i had a new battery go down ( one cell toast ) on the third flight . Yuneec CC said it's over thirty days old and out of warranty sorry . not what i wanted to hear but it't their policy . you think Yuneec would learn and make a smart battery . smart batteries also go bad . try a GiFi Power brand battery . i have only heard good things about GIFI batteries .
fly safe

i had a new battery go down ( one cell toast ) on the third flight . Yuneec CC said it's over thirty days old and out of warranty sorry . not what i wanted to hear but it't their policy . you think Yuneec would learn and make a smart battery . smart batteries also go bad . try a GiFi Power brand battery . i have only heard good things about GIFI batteries .
fly safe

NRRTrains,

Not sure I am understanding your post. You seem to be chastising Yuneec for not making smart batteries, then say “...smart batteries also go bad.”

I am glad we (Yuneec owners) don’t have to pay extra for so-called “smart” batteries. A search on “problems with smart batteries” might enlighten.

I would rather rely on my own logs and battery care than to have to put up with unexpected mandatory firmware updates, extra cost, and the like. Those mandatory updates, from anecdotal reports, seem to be ruled by a guy named Murphy.

Just sayin’!

Jeff

Reactions: biltno and AeroJ
the charger for the Q500 4k IS a balance charger, it first charges up and then goes thru a 2nd BALANCE phase.

of course it shows not voltages or resistance values, but then if a charger can 'just do it' then besides a 'storage' phase what else is needed (ie - let the frigging tool worry, why should we?)

I think it's a case of slightly misaligned expectations. Whilst I can see how it is totally reasonable to just expect these things to work out of the box, and then continue doing so, the reality is still somewhat different to that. LiPo batteries do fail, especially if not looked after properly, and the charger Yuneec provide is really pretty horrible and just meant to get you going before you get a proper balance charger. Their instructions won't warn you of this of course, but forums like this will, so it really is a case of pre-warned is pre-armed.

The Q500 is a pretty decent machine, and can get really nice video. If I was in your place I would get a couple of new batteries, a balance charger, and the adapter leads, and restore your machine to life, where if you look after it and fly it often it should give you years of enjoyable flying...

Oh, hello, and welcome to the forum, btw ! :)

the charger for the Q500 4k IS a balance charger, it first charges up and then goes thru a 2nd BALANCE phase.
Yeah, but not a very good one, and if you can't see the voltages you are trusting it to luck. I did the first 40 cycles of my TH on the included charger, which reported it was completing cycles fine, yet when my adapter cable finally arrived I was able to see that there was a dangerous discrepancy between cell voltages that I was previously unaware of, which could plausibly have led to a 'fall-from-sky' type event had I let it go on unchecked.

Of course you are trusting those A/D converters that you then display the voltage, which is nothing more than what could be in the yuneec charger, and which of these is correct.

otoh, if using a single A/D to measure all cells, then that at least will be a constant, but could always be either high or low if calibration is bad and if the voltage deviates from acceptable value then you know, if accurate.

it is what ppl have confidence in i guess, many like auto-magic things some like details, some not, i personally like good analog for voltages tbh, it can tell you a bit more if fluctuating (digital display can too if not filtered too much) but analog just generally can offer more intelligence, not interpreted via electronics like digital display, interpreted by human brain.

but sure an expensive quality charger is likely better, but then if yuneec got sued once or twice for causing drone to fall out of sky due to poor battery charger design/implementation, then maybe progress ?

$80 to $100 for a charger if the only thing you need it for is a single drone is pricey, but then if it can 'save' a drone from falling well worth it, but will it can it.

it appears the user needs to perform and know lots on many chargers, and same for a 'storage' level, device may not know, a real PIA !

Yeah, but not a very good one, and if you can't see the voltages you are trusting it to luck. I did the first 40 cycles of my TH on the included charger, which reported it was completing cycles fine, yet when my adapter cable finally arrived I was able to see that there was a dangerous discrepancy between cell voltages that I was previously unaware of, which could plausibly have led to a 'fall-from-sky' type event had I let it go on unchecked.

" this is for every one " if you are going to stay in hobby or any hobby that uses LI PO batteries that uses EC3 , EC5 , DEANS ENDS and all other LI PO ends or you may also have Nmh and Ni cd batteries . do your self and your batteries a favor and buy a good charger , do your home work look around , ask questions , go to your local hobby shop or go online and read about the charger you are going to buy . now if you only have one battery and don't fly that often then the Yuneec charger will do for your needs .
go to this site . it's a good read
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries
fly safe

What I think throws everyone is that what you do to maintain nicad and nimh batteries it total opposite(except for draining dead and leaving dead) from LiPOs. Most all other batteries should be kept charged whenever possible.

Also Yuneec, if not going to include smart batteries, should include warnings about draining battery too far and should force RTH before you hit 10.6 volts.

What I think throws everyone is that what you do to maintain nicad and nimh batteries it total opposite(except for draining dead and leaving dead) from LiPOs. Most all other batteries should be kept charged whenever possible.

Also Yuneec, if not going to include smart batteries, should include warnings about draining battery too far and should force RTH before you hit 10.6 volts.
for nicad batteries that you are not going to use drain after use because they have a memory and nimh batteries you can just leave charged or discharged makes no difference .
LI pi batteries should be stored at 3.80 v to 3.85 v per cell and Yuneec batteries are 3s meaning 3cells . 40 to 50 percent charged .
chart below
Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG

To save battery problems and store the battery at a safe level I invested in these:
https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_n...steur+tester+monitor+Buzzer+Alarme+indicateur
and
https://www.amazon.fr/GoolRC-Profes...4483&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=imax+b6+mini&psc=1

Now i can charge, discharge and set the battery to storage levels. The tester will show that each of the three cells is at or very near 3.8 for safe storage and no deterioration.
I also got three new batteries: 1xMorpilot 6300mAh very good and
2x GiFi Power 7500mAh feels like it doesn't want to land - stays up for ages.
Hope it helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech