Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New to drones, no idea what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a disabled Veteran that is pretty much a homebody due to physical issues.

My son's friend gave me a Yuneec Typhoon G drone that needs a couple things. So the cost to me is replacing the missing items.
It is missing the charger and batteries. I ordered both and am waiting for them to arrive.

Other than those two items I think I am set to fly.

My goal is of course photo and video. The gimbal on the drone is for a GoPro. I do not have a GoPro. Apparently there is a problem with the gimbal. I was told it is broken but I don't know enough about it to figure out how or what is broken and therefore unsure if it can be repaired. There are no obvious breaks or parts hanging and no parts were given to me.

Since I am new to this I am hoping to meet someone in the Dallas area (I live on the east side of Mountain Creek Lake at Loop 12 and Illinois) that can help me figure out the gimbal issue and hopefully it can be repaired. As a disabled Veteran I make very little money so if it cannot be repaired I will be stuck because I know I cannot afford to replace it. Anyway, if there is anyone that would not mind looking at the gimbal I will bring it to you for an opinion of my options to get this fixed. Since I do not have a GoPro I would welcome any camera setup that will work on this drone if I can afford it. I know many of these come with a camera already mounted on it and I am wondering if people remove this and replace it with a GoPro or other setup. That hopefully would leave the removed gimbal and camera that someone like me could hopefully purchase.

So please contact me if you think you can assist me in my goal of getting a working camera setup on this drone.

I am currently trying to trade for a GoPro but it does not look promising.

I am not asking for a camera or gimbal for free. This is not a "poor me" post. I need the gimbal repaired and then I can work on getting a camera.

Also, can someone point me to a web site that will tell me the rules for the north Texas area as it applies to drones.
Do I need to register it? Can I fly it in a national park? This is personal entertainment only no commercial use. Just a beat up old guy trying to avoid boredom.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully I can get this thing in the air and my head out of the black hole I am usually in.

Thank you all,

Bob

Reactions: Auburnweedkiller
Hey Bob

Welcome to the forum. You have found us at exactly the right time - when you know nothing :) Here you will find a stunning wealth of information, alot of it you should be aware of BEFORE you fly. Finding us when you did while you wait for parts gives you vital reading time, and hopefully we will help get you fully prepared and aware of everything you need to know to get going.

First some bad news. You cannot fly in National Parks. And you do need to register it, but that's $5, so not much to worry about there. More importantly you need to be aware of UAV rules that apply in your area. I'm from the UK where rules are different, so I will leave it to the many US guys here to tell you what's what in that department.

Next, you should begin working your way through the posts in here paying particular attention to the pinned threads at the top, so that you begin to know every part of your craft and its control surface, such that you have a high degree of knowledge and confidence before you even turn it on. You should make a list of pre-flight safety checks that you complete every flight session. Then you should learn how to look after and charge LiPo batteries safely, which are dangerous if handled incorrectly.

When you do first turn it on you need to find yourself a big empty field, get to the middle of it and do your calibrations. Your first flights should be out in the middle of nowhere, with no people, buildings or obstacles for miles around. Place yourself in a very forgiving environment like this for your first few flights, then, as confidence grows you can find the local parks and places of interest where you can fly (making sure you are never in controlled airspace!). Finally, you are ready to fly. GPS Angle mode is where you start, and there are numerous videos on Youtube to show you what to expect in flight and what the sticks do / how to fly. It takes time and practice to be good at this, but your craft is a decent and reliable one, which is half the battle.

Hope that gets you flying in the right direction. If you have questions, you can bet they've been asked and answered before, so always search the Q500 Sections first, but if you can't find answers there, ask away, and we'll be here to help. Also check out the photos and videos section where we'd love to see yours when you start taking them.

Happy, safe flyings ! :) ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Gitup Git2 is a good camera for the Q500G and is fully compatible. You can find them on Amazon for $100. Same performance as a GoPro for a whole lot less $$.

If you're looking for a GoPro gimbal for the q500 I'll offer up a spare that's been collecting dust on my workbench along with an extra MK58 download link to transmit video. Can't vouch for whether the gimbal still works or not since it's been sitting for quite awhile. I sold off all my Q500 gear and these are leftovers. Pay for shipping and they're yours. Hit me up with a PM if your'e interested.

Reactions: Auburnweedkiller
Charlie, I'm in on that deal. Just give me time to figure out how to send a PM.

Charlie, I'm in on that deal. Just give me time to figure out how to send a PM.

Hover your mouse over this live link of → @Good time Charlie's name... it will bring up a pop-up box... at the bottom, click on "Start Conversation" ?

Welcome to the Forum. I don't know much about the Q500G, mine is a Q5004K, so I Can't help you much there, but I can guide you through the registration process. google the FAA drone zone, click on dronezone/faa.gov. That will take you to the FAA Drone Zone page. Scroll down to I fly under the Exemption for Recreational flyers and click on register my drone. The registration page will come up, followw the instructions and you'll be set to go.
I live in Northeastern Montana, so I don't have to worry about a lot of controled airspace, but you being in the Dallas area, you do. The FAA is supposed to be posting a list of registered flying parks you can fly in. I would think there would be one around close to you.
Good luck and happy flying!

Richard Barnard

Welcome to the Forum. I don't know much about the Q500G, mine is a Q5004K, so I Can't help you much there, but I can guide you through the registration process. google the FAA drone zone, click on dronezone/faa.gov. That will take you to the FAA Drone Zone page. Scroll down to I fly under the Exemption for Recreational flyers and click on register my drone. The registration page will come up, followw the instructions and you'll be set to go.
I live in Northeastern Montana, so I don't have to worry about a lot of controled airspace, but you being in the Dallas area, you do. The FAA is supposed to be posting a list of registered flying parks you can fly in. I would think there would be one around close to you.
Good luck and happy flying!

Richard Barnard
Thanks Richard.

I have the Q5004K based on the box but the drone says Q500 with a G in a different color.

I registered the drone so thanks for that help.
Take care,
Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval