Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Typhoon H GPS Loss

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I have flown a Typhoon Quad for almost 2 years and only lost my GPS once for about 2 seconds. I just purchased a brand new Typhoon H. I have not flown it yet as it is dark by the time I get home each night. Two nights ago I did stop in a parking lot on the way home to calibrate the compass and accelerometer. Well after the calibration was complete the GPS signal loss indicator was triggered for about 5 seconds as it sat on the pavement. A minute later it went of again as I was walking with the drone. Should I be concerned?

If this was the first time out, it is probably due to the fact that the GPS registry had not finished loading. Its not in the manual but; if you have a new Typhoon H or have one that hasn't flown in a while, it is a good practice to set it in the open, boot up the ST16 and turn on the aircraft (motors off); and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Hi Ty, thanks for the advice. I stopped on the way home and parked the drone in an empty parking lot well away from my truck, I had a couple of lost gps warnings, Then I brought it home and left it outside my house for a half hour, several times it lost the gps. With the drone on the ground in an idle position almost every time I put the rocker switch to Home the gps warning would go of and then correct itself.

Well, that is what should happen, because you haven't launched and you may have been too close to the aircraft with your transmitter. Your switch on the transmitter wants to be in angle mode or smart mode position, not the home position. That is a failsafe programing protocol. Maybe reread the manual and then reread it again to get comfortable. :) we all have to pay that tuition, to protect our fun.

Here's a great clip to review a few times
, take time, go slow and you'll be OK, use angle mode or smart mode to launch. If you cant launch, usually its because the switch is still in home from the previous flight. I've resembled that a few times.

Well, that is what should happen, because you haven't launched and you may have been too close to the aircraft with your transmitter. Your switch on the transmitter wants to be in angle mode or smart mode position, not the home position. That is a failsafe programing protocol. Maybe reread the manual and then reread it again to get comfortable. :) we all have to pay that tuition, to protect our fun.

Here's a great clip to review a few times
, take time, go slow and you'll be OK, use angle mode or smart mode to launch. If you cant launch, usually its because the switch is still in home from the previous flight. I've resembled that a few times.
Yes I understand those functions, as mentioned before I have a Q500, my license and have flown for nearly 2 years. I have never had to take flight with an intermittent GPS lock before. With the drone in angle mode standing any distance away from it in a huge open parking lot it will continuesly go from GPS lock to a GPS failure. The return to Home was just me messing around to see if I could cause the loss which it did nearly every time I threw the switch. I let it sit for an hour outside my home and it could not maintain a lock. That is not characteristic of a Yuneec drone, Looks like it is going back today!

You're completely right. Your Q500 GPS was healthy and your H not. It's not true that this is "what should happen" and I don't understand how anyone can say that. No healthy GPS module in the world needs 15 minutes to get a position fix. Normally they use less than a minute from a cold start. The video-link connection f.ex. can take a lot longer than the GPS in good order on the H, especially with EU firmware. Me and many others that knows what they talk about(drone and electronics enthusiasts) has had weird GPS behavior with the Typhoon H, too. It starts with not getting a position fix, even with 20 sats displayed. The absolute strangest things with mine was that if I turned off GPS in the right side menu, all GPS coordinates, speed and altitude showed up in the telemetry boxes left. But when turned on, those disappeared and it refuses to take off showing "GPS lost". It was like the software virtual "switch" was inverted. I had seen this a couple of times during a years time, and it always suddenly went back to normal after a little fumbling and maybe a reset, not returning for a long time. No biggie, I thought, but then last time this happened, it also refused to land or go lower than 3-4 meters - just a little too high to get hold of, and just enough to break a leg when it finally went out of batteries and crashed down. Still haven't heard a satisfying explanation for this behavior, if it is a glitch in the version of the app, fc or GPS module itself(wich I doubt, when it CAN show all GPS telemetry correctly once you turn GPS OFF) Still haven't gotten close enough to a real Yuneec technician to ask about it, it's too hard to get through customer service for me to even try. But I will crack this nut, hope you didn't return your H because it's a fine flying machine.

I am having a similar problem with my Typhoon H. I've followed the recalibration procedure several times. The H will turn on but the ST16 keeps reporting 'GPS lost' and 'Needs Calibration'. Even though the blades will start, the ship will not throttle up however. I'm afraid of a fly-off, if I try to launch it. Any suggestions?

The H was working for my first couple of months but I tried connecting a thermal imaging camera CGOET and nothing has worked right again.

Last edited:
@Xahama more info is needed. The GPS can not be "calibrated", is it perhaps saying that the "Compass" needs calibration? Where are you trying to take off from? What have you re-calibrated several times exactly?

Okay I just saw the last bit about the new camera. I don't use the thermal camera but hopefully someone who has experience in this area can help.

Last edited:
Have you calibrated the compass very precicely as instructions, and to the drones satisfaction ? it means it blinks a certain colour in the end, don't remember exactly, but I think white means do it again.. check the manual. You can calibrate 100 times, it won't help unless you get that right flash after the last move. (white light on the arms means right while you do it - or actually "do this axis" - so it's a little confusing it means wrong in the end, from the main LED) I could be wrong about colours, have to check the book everytime myself..

You're completely right. Your Q500 GPS was healthy and your H not. It's not true that this is "what should happen" and I don't understand how anyone can say that. No healthy GPS module in the world needs 15 minutes to get a position fix. Normally they use less than a minute from a cold start. The video-link connection f.ex. can take a lot longer than the GPS in good order on the H, especially with EU firmware. Me and many others that knows what they talk about(drone and electronics enthusiasts) has had weird GPS behavior with the Typhoon H, too. It starts with not getting a position fix, even with 20 sats displayed. The absolute strangest things with mine was that if I turned off GPS in the right side menu, all GPS coordinates, speed and altitude showed up in the telemetry boxes left. But when turned on, those disappeared and it refuses to take off showing "GPS lost". It was like the software virtual "switch" was inverted. I had seen this a couple of times during a years time, and it always suddenly went back to normal after a little fumbling and maybe a reset, not returning for a long time. No biggie, I thought, but then last time this happened, it also refused to land or go lower than 3-4 meters - just a little too high to get hold of, and just enough to break a leg when it finally went out of batteries and crashed down. Still haven't heard a satisfying explanation for this behavior, if it is a glitch in the version of the app, fc or GPS module itself(wich I doubt, when it CAN show all GPS telemetry correctly once you turn GPS OFF) Still haven't gotten close enough to a real Yuneec technician to ask about it, it's too hard to get through customer service for me to even try. But I will crack this nut, hope you didn't return your H because it's a fine flying machine.
I know this thread is super old, but I noticed that on mine I only get gps lost when using the gifi aftermarket battery, not the oem battery. Possibly they are not shielded the same? I thought of maybe wrapping it in foil tape to see if it resolves anything, but I don't want to accidentally make contact with the circuit board above the battery if I insert it off center. I've ordered the GPS relocation mount that I saw in a YouTube video, I'll see if that helps at all and report back.

I know this thread is super old, but I noticed that on mine I only get gps lost when using the gifi aftermarket battery, not the oem battery. Possibly they are not shielded the same? I thought of maybe wrapping it in foil tape to see if it resolves anything, but I don't want to accidentally make contact with the circuit board above the battery if I insert it off center. I've ordered the GPS relocation mount that I saw in a YouTube video, I'll see if that helps at all and report back.
I use 5 GiFi batteries with my Typhoon H and have no issues with GPS loss when using them.

2 are the 8050mAh for H480

2 are the 7000mAh for H480

1 is the 7900mAh for the H+/H520

I would try removing the top shell and putting some twist into the cable for the GPS board. Also ensure the copper shield for the GPS is intact on the upper shell.

I'll give it a shot, weird it only happens with the gifi though.
Yes it is odd. Which GiFi battery are you using? Where did you purchase it?

I have two of those as I said earlier. There are several different vendors, but as far as I know they are all manufactured the same by GiFi.

... I only get gps lost when using the gifi aftermarket battery, ...
The wording seems to imply you have only one GIFI. If so, the thought would come that there may be some defect in that one battery.
Have you looked at the individual cell parameters of the battery?
How long have you used the GIFI battery?
Did the GPS issue appear when you first started using it?

The wording seems to imply you have only one GIFI. If so, the thought would come that there may be some defect in that one battery.
Have you looked at the individual cell parameters of the battery?
How long have you used the GIFI battery?
Did the GPS issue appear when you first started using it?
Yes all cells good, had it since April, issue appeared with that battery. I didn't put 2 &2 together though until I saw that video on YouTube that spoke to aftermarket lipos causing issues with the GPS. I will see about replacing the battery, I have also ordered a new GPS board.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval