Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

new yuneec pilot in San Diego

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Yuneec Typhoon Q500 today here in San Diego and looking forward to finding places here where I can actually fly it due to all the massive no fly zones. Any ideas where I can fly it in San Diego? I have the Hover app and it shows no go zones.

Reactions: Hychewright
Welcome uavpilotsd to the forum. Great pilots here and will help you anyway they can. I am sort of new myself and I have learned a lot from just reading the threads. I'm sure someone from San Diego area will help answer you question soon.

Thanks, I just finished reading all the instruction guides that came with my new Yuneec Q500 and charging all the batteries. Today I plan to do the maiden voyage in San Diego. Do you still need to calibrate the compass?

Welcome from Huntington Beach. I too have a lot of restricted areas around me, I look for little cracks where I can fly. I have driven a few hours to the desert off highway to to fly.

Speaking of restricted area, if there is a small regional airport near your home that maybe only has a few flights a day with planes the size of Cessna 172 , piper etc, is there a restriction to a certain height or not to use period

If that airport does not have a tower, who are you going to call? I use common sense in those cases. I don't know if that strictly meets the FAA rules, but again, who are you going to call. I have a few off shore oil rigs in my area. Can't find any contact numbers. What can you go. I rarely fly over 100 feet, I just don't need to . The only craft that should be that low is landing, I hope, and I stay away from landing pads and runways takeoff/landing zones.

Yeah! I'm just studying up on what you can and can't do. I loaded that app called Hover. That airport I mentioned has a huge circle around the area to the point where it's sudued in the circle but not sure if that mean you can't fly at all or if there's just some limitations. I mean this airport is not a busy metropolis. It just a small regional airport and I do believe there is a tower but it's just a small thing. My company has a King Air B200. That count never land here. It would end up in the lake

I use Hover and the FAA B4UFly app on my phone. Right now since I am just getting the hang of the new drone, I go either to La Jolla, Torrey Pines, or La Mesa to fly it and be away from airports. Once I get my drone commercial license next month then I will get the authorization from airports and Yuneec software restriction lifted to do commercial paid work.

I use Kittyhawk and B4UFly. How are you obtaining your commercial license? Are you studying a particular course? I originally registered as commercial, but re-registered as hobbyist for the time being. I'd like to go the commercial route and that's why I am interested.

I also use airnav.com and skyvector.com both are free no cost tools with AFD airport information and charts. In my case, since I already have my private pilot license, to get my commercial drone remote pilot license, all that I need to do is take the free FAA UAV online course and complete the application. No need to take a test if you are already a pilot.

Reactions: WEDWay
There's a place off of sea world dr. about 1/2 mile south of I-5. once you pass friars rd, you take a right at the next light. you can see the course from sea world dr....

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!
*User Manuals: Support Downloads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval