Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie Acknowledgements: Appreciated Accessories

Reaction score
Corvallis, Or, USA & Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
I feel that after a couple of weeks of getting significant help from this forum that it is time to summarize some items of accessory equipment that I have benefited from and might help other newbies to the Yuneec Typhoon H, H+ family of hexacopters.

1. First on the list, and for good reason, is the Transmitter Tray from @Ty Pilot and Copperdawg.com. While the H+ ST16S transmitter has a neck strap I found it to feel sloppy and insecure. For me, i definitely did not feel secure removing both hands from the ST16S. In contrast, the Transmitter Tray provides a precise, controlled orientation for the ST16S even in 'no hands' mode.

In addition, for me it provided the necessary secure foundation on which to attach an additional accessory (battery tray).
  2. Second on the list is the HD video recorder that @Ty Pilot discussed in his video

For me, a newbie not only to the Typhoon H+, but to UAVs in general, there was a lot that I wanted to pay attention to on those first flights but I also wanted to focus on learning/practicing flying without being distracted by the flight display. The HD recorder allowed me to do just that. I could 'fly the practice mission' and then later watch the video of what was happening on the controller screen during the flight, including what the camera was viewing even if I was not intentionally recording camera video. I have learned a few tidbits that I might have taken a lot longer without the recorder. For example, I wondered where, precisely, the H+ thinks the home position is located. Is it determined by the GPS location when the H+ is turned on, or ... I could find nothing in the manuals on this topic. Fortunately, the recorder captured the 1-2 second display that shows the that home location is located at power-up of the motors just before takeoff. Makes perfect sense. Wonder why it isn't mentioned in the manuals?
  3. Battery tray. This accessory, while important for me, will likely be less so for others. This tray is used to hold the 30AH PowerBank battery used to keep the ST16S battery topped off and extend total flying hours. Additonally, by using a USB to 5,5mm power plug adapter, the HD video recorder can be powered off the PowerBank rather than needing an additional battery pack.

The battery tray is a tray approximately the width of the ST16S and 7 inches in depth. Besides providing a place for the PowerBank battery, it moves the ST16S (and most importantly, the display) away from my body. Due to a hopefully short term medical situation, my vision is impaired if I have to look down. Trying to look at my feet results in significant double vision. The closer I can keep my vision to be 90 degrees from the plane of my face the better my vision. Moving the ST display 7 inches away from my body significantly improves my specific situation.
    So, for me the battery tray is a win-win: a place for the PowerBank battery AND a way to solidly move the ST away from my body for better vision. And, oh yes, the battery tray utilizes the stability of the Copperdawg transmitter tray as the attachment point to the ST16S.

Steve, yes, I understand that. I should have stated that in my post. Thanks for being crystal clear.
I was confident you were aware of that, but many people are not. It was one of many changes made with the H Plus and the H520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33