Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie-Second Flight Odd Behavior or Operator Error? Weird Telemetry Files.

Reaction score
Hello--I am new to the forum and this hobby. I bought my H with Intel RealSense the other day and spent a day prepping it, charging it, registering it, and reading all the manuals and watching video tutorials. I also updated the firmware, rebinded it the controller and calibrated everything including the compass.

My first flight was simple--in Angle Mode, OBS Avoid off--just a vertical lift of about 10-12 feet and then some left to right movement to get a feel for the H and the controller. I had 17 sats locked and overall, everything looked good and appeared to operate as I expected (based on the videos I had watched), so I landed for practice as well.

Second flight started the same--liftoff to about 12' in Angle modes, OBS Avoid off. After letting it hover for a minute or so and everything seemed stable, I started filming (to test the video in flight) and started to increase its altitude to about 60-70'. Again, all was going well--good GPS lock. Once at the new altitude, I did some camera panning and was going to fly it a little further out. Since there where some trees in that direction, I turned on the OBJ Avoid (being a newbie--I wanted the extra protection). Then, it started to "toilet bowl" in tight circles and I was not touching the controls. There are some trees in the area, probably about 30-50' from where the H was hovering. The movement was not overly dramatic or wide, but the movement startled me since it was unexpected. Having read about this in the forums, I decided to try a few things that had been suggestions in the various posts to get control back. I switched off the OBJ Avoid. That seemed to calm it down.

Now being stable, I flew it back toward where I was standing (the H still at about 75-80' altitude). Then, feeling unsure about everything, I decided to land it in angle mode. Here is where I got really confused and not really sure even now what may have been going on: I attempted to use the joy stick to descend it virtually straight down (like I had previously to land it) but instead of going downward, when I pulled the left stick back, it went up! I released the stick, it stopped ascending and hovered, and tried it again--it went higher! Now I am figuring the H is toast since instead of landing it is going higher. In a minor panic, I figured I would try the Home setting, as this is suppose to automatically bring it back and land it. When I flipped the toggle to Home, the H started to move away from me the landing area (which was where it took off from) and fearing it was going to fly off, I put it back in Angle Mode. After attempting to bring it down a few more times and it going up instead of down, it finally started to respond to the stick being pulled back and began to come down. Finally, I had it on the ground. Once on the ground, I pressed the red button to put it in idle mode and it powered up (on one side??) and it suddenly flipped over on its back. It was not damaged but here again, I am not sure what happened.

I tried afterwards to find the telemetry data to see if there is any clues in there but cannot seem to figure out how to move the file from the H to the memory card as when I copy the telemetry file, I cannot seem to find the memory card on which to copy it in the table browser mode--but maybe I am just doing this wrong.

Lastly, I noticed something odd in the telemetry files stored on the H (or controller?)--there where some file dates from July and August. Now I bought this new at Best Buy the other day so I am not sure where the other files came from. The files from my flights were dated correctly. Since I cannot figure out how to move and open them I cannot check those files out to see if the H was previously purchased, flown and returned...when I unpacked it everything seemed "new" and wrapped like it had never been opened.
Does this seem odd??

Thanks for any insights or thoughts to help me figure out my odd flight experience and the telemetry file question(s).

Ken

Another sad story of a new Typhoon H owner. Very sad this has to happen to new owners :(
Your story is not new, many have had the same experience. Contact Yuneec CS and get it sorted out.
The other Telemetry files might be from the factory when it was tested.
Good luck

Yerricl, I apologize--I am not sure what mode "2" refers to. I was in Angle mode with OBJ Avoid on when it started to "toilet bowl" and when trying to land I was in Angle mode with OBJ Avoid off although I cycled through Smart, Angle and Home until the drone seemed to calm down and respond to the controller input.

One detail I did not mention that I did not think was important is that video was recording the entire time, including when trying to land--honestly I forgot I was recording. I have read somewhere that video record needs to be off when landing--but I am not sure if that is a factor (or even why).

Yerricl, I apologize--I am not sure what mode "2" refers to. I was in Angle mode with OBJ Avoid on when it started to "toilet bowl" and when trying to land I was in Angle mode with OBJ Avoid off although I cycled through Smart, Angle and Home until the drone seemed to calm down and respond to the controller input.

One detail I did not mention that I did not think was important is that video was recording the entire time, including when trying to land--honestly I forgot I was recording. I have read somewhere that video record needs to be off when landing--but I am not sure if that is a factor (or even why).

The video off is just a reminder because if you power down the H before stopping video you can loose the last clip. The video records to the camera flash memory and dumps to the card every 5 mins. When you stop recording the last clip moves to the SD card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Using the correct terminology, mode 2 would refer to the manner the control functions were assigned to the sticks. It is the mode the H is originally shipped with. Pitch and roll on the right stick, throttle and yaw on the left stick. Other modes assign the stock control functions differently, something common to the region people fly RC. Europe is noted for using mode 1 for RC flight, Australia as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using the correct terminology, mode 2 would refer to the manner the control functions were assigned to the sticks. It is the mode the H is originally shipped with. Pitch and roll on the right stick, throttle and yaw on the left stick. Other modes assign the stock control functions differently, something common to the region people fly RC. Europe is noted for using mode 1 for RC flight, Australia as well.

I believe the control functions were assigned to mode 2 since prior to the stick loss of control, it was operating according to your description of the function assignments.
I will check it when later when I have a moment.

Reactions: yerrickl
ST-16>System Settings>Mode Select. You'll see 4 modes depicted. The one in use will be high lighted in blue.

So I spoke with customer service today and based on my description of the event including what was done pre-flight to prepare the H to fly, they did not think there was any operator error. That said he recommended that I send the H in for them to look at.

My questions are now;

-- Should I try another test flight this weekend and see if this was just a temporary glitch?

-- Should I send it to Yuneec for service/repair? (It has no damage, just the erratic behavior on its second flight.)

-- Or, I have all the packaging and could return it to the store for a refund and get another H? (I can return it until January 10th as long as it is in its original packaging and undamaged and it is OK to have been "opened".

Thoughts??

Ken

I'd try 1 more flight and if it doesn't fly right. Let the store replace it.

My experience with CS they don't know the equipment to well. They told me to send it in and I just needed to calibrate the ground station.

I would calibrate the IMU and then do a compass calibration. Make sure you are away from metal or electrical fields. Do not disturb the H while it is booting up.
On the ST16, check the hardware screen to make sure all controls are working as expected and returning to center when released. Try a test flight at low altitude in an open field. Stay in angle mode with OA off. If it still acts funny, return it for a replacement.

Reactions: yerrickl
If they offering a brand new unit I'd consider it and ask does it have the corrected modules that they wanted to investigate
under warranty. If not, send in the one you have now. You can push for a send out of the new unit upon receipt of the tracking number to them of your shipping in the defective one. That can speed it up a little... You will still most likely need to update all firmwares upon receipt of new H as it will be behind the curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Guys,
Kenneth, did you by any chance clear all previous flight data when doing the updates? I can find no reference to any one having mentioned it in the thread, however you do refer to having seen previous telemetry files which would suggest that previous flight data had not been removed.
I don't know too much about the Yuneec C/S staff in the States - but here in the UK the staff have their own 'birds' and fly them on a regular basis (certainly a chap called Omad, who I have had occasion to speak to a couple of times) - and always, always extremely helpful and pleasant! At the end of the day, when you are doing these updates you do really have to follow the instructions to the letter. Captain Drone (
) and Yuneec UK ( Firmware ) have put out instructional videos.
Good Luck Kenneth.

Hi Guys,
Kenneth, did you by any chance clear all previous flight data when doing the updates? I can find no reference to any one having mentioned it in the thread, however you do refer to having seen previous telemetry files which would suggest that previous flight data had not been removed.
I don't know too much about the Yuneec C/S staff in the States - but here in the UK the staff have their own 'birds' and fly them on a regular basis (certainly a chap called Omad, who I have had occasion to speak to a couple of times) - and always, always extremely helpful and pleasant! At the end of the day, when you are doing these updates you do really have to follow the instructions to the letter. Captain Drone (
) and Yuneec UK ( Firmware ) have put out instructional videos.
Good Luck Kenneth.
Flymac--I did not remove the previous flight data. . .in fact, I did not even know it was there until I went to look for it after the odd flight behavior. I did watch some videos on how to update the firmware and either it was not mentioned or I missed this step. Thanks for pointing this out.

How does this data corrupt the H's ability to fly properly?

As an update, I tried to fly the H yesterday in another location and it did not respond properly--it did not toilet bowl or anything, but it would not respond to the right stick and I could not bring it back toward me, so I landed it ASAP. I rebooted it, then tried a second time, and after launching it to about 14' height in Angle Mode, Avoidance off -- I was letting it hover for about a minute to confirm its operation and was not touching the controls -- it suddenly tipped forward on its own and started to move away from me. When I pulled back on the right stick it stopped moving forward but would not came to me, so I just landed it again. At the time, the H had 18 GPS and controller had 12. Once it was on the ground I prior to powering it down I did get a "Lost GPS" warning that lasted for about 30 seconds. . .

After that experience, I have lost confidence in the H or I am doing something completely wrong. Based on my previous conversations with CS, they had wanted me to send it in and did not think I was operating the H improperly (and they did not mention removing the flight data as part of the firmware update process when we talked about it too.)

Since I can at this point, I am going to return it Friday and get another H and try one more time with this unit. I will, as you mention, wipe any previous flight data when I update the firmware and see if this one will operate properly. As an aside -- how do I unregister it with the FAA?? I don't want it to be put back in service by YUNEEC and have its serial number associated with me since it will no longer be mine.

Thanks for the suggestions and experience shares all!

Ken

Flymac--I did not remove the previous flight data. . .in fact, I did not even know it was there until I went to look for it after the odd flight behavior. I did watch some videos on how to update the firmware and either it was not mentioned or I missed this step. Thanks for pointing this out.

How does this data corrupt the H's ability to fly properly?

As an update, I tried to fly the H yesterday in another location and it did not respond properly--it did not toilet bowl or anything, but it would not respond to the right stick and I could not bring it back toward me, so I landed it ASAP. I rebooted it, then tried a second time, and after launching it to about 14' height in Angle Mode, Avoidance off -- I was letting it hover for about a minute to confirm its operation and was not touching the controls -- it suddenly tipped forward on its own and started to move away from me. When I pulled back on the right stick it stopped moving forward but would not came to me, so I just landed it again. At the time, the H had 18 GPS and controller had 12. Once it was on the ground I prior to powering it down I did get a "Lost GPS" warning that lasted for about 30 seconds. . .

After that experience, I have lost confidence in the H or I am doing something completely wrong. Based on my previous conversations with CS, they had wanted me to send it in and did not think I was operating the H improperly (and they did not mention removing the flight data as part of the firmware update process when we talked about it too.)

Since I can at this point, I am going to return it Friday and get another H and try one more time with this unit. I will, as you mention, wipe any previous flight data when I update the firmware and see if this one will operate properly. As an aside -- how do I unregister it with the FAA?? I don't want it to be put back in service by YUNEEC and have its serial number associated with me since it will no longer be mine.

Thanks for the suggestions and experience shares all!

Ken
Hi Ken,
Questions - questions!!
In the first instance, I really do not know how the previous flight data - telemetry will effect the flight characteristics of the H after an update, but I am sure that there is someone around who can. I am given to understand that each H is test flown prior to shipping, so it stands to reason that the previous flight data will be present when the H is shipped to you! In the second fright (not Chinese for flight!) when the H suddenly started to come straight towards you - you say that you did not touch any controls! However, this has happened to me when I accidentally touched the right hand trim control and suddenly discovered that I had an H advancing on me. I am not sure that you are aware of this setting capability when you are in advanced mode. The right trim tabs control forward, backwards, left and right trim. (
) at about 3.20 but you might want to watch the whole video. The left trim controls the camera white balance and exposure! I can't at this point explain the 'loss of satellite warning'.
In the UK we are not as yet, required to register with the CAA UK equivalent to your FAA. However, I would think that either CS at Yuneec USA would do that for you or provide a link for you to do it yourself. Registering your new H here is the link. https://registermyuas.faa.gov In terms of cancelling the your current registration may require a brief email of enquiry.
When you get you new H and you do the updates pay absolute attention to every detail in the instructions. Things like making certain that you upload on the SD card only the up date for the equipment that you are updating ie only the ST16 update on the SD Card and insert it before you power it up and only the relevant update for the H when you update that and again make sure that you have got the SD card inserted in the camera before you power up. Clearing data etc and at the end of the updates or certainly before you fly compass, accelerometer and gimbal calibrations. Watch the videos and make notes or refer to the video's as you update the ST 16 first then the H. Good luck with your new bird - let us know how you get on.
Regards, Michael.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval