Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie, shopping around

Reaction score
Hi, first sighting so please be kind… After weeks of research and hundreds of YouTube videos, I have decided to buy a Typhoon H (possibly with RealSense if I can stretch to it as I am a novice). The built-in display is the clincher for me as I don't use a smart phone; but I was concerned to see comparison videos with a DJI Phantom 4 from a year or more ago which showed it to have a better camera lens (imho). Given than Yuneec have brought in improvements since that time, would I still feel the same? I'm able to make video improvements in post processing but focus/sharpness isn't something I like to mess with too much since digital sharpening introduces some unwanted side effects. I found a third party lens filter (PixAero) which seemed to give improved colour balance and saturation in the camera plus modestly improved image sharpness. Are there any other options - or are the current CGO3+ cameras sufficiently improved not to need any hacking? Hopefully so as I don't like the idea of voiding my warranty by messing with the factory build.

Also, do all the new ST16 controllers come with the extra long antenna? I can see plenty of places selling kits, maybe cheaper, with a single long antenna and I'm not sure what benefits are claimed for the extra antenna. Does it improve the reliability of the video link and/or the drone range (not that we're allowed to fly out of eye contact here in the UK)?

Some controllers are labelled ST16+ and I wondered if that means they have the extra antenna? If not, what is the difference between ST16 and ST16+?

Finally, I don't want to pay more than I need to and some of the best prices in the UK are on eBay, often from vendors based in Germany. Is it safe to buy on eBay? Any bad experiences? Some of the German products come with EU plugs and an adapter, which may not be ideal. I assume the Yuneec warranty applies wherever I buy from?

Definitely finally, I read on here that Yuneec were going to make a big announcement on January 1st. Has it been seen?

Thanks for any help - and I apologise for asking so many questions in a heap.

Reactions: Johnwrayton
Hi,
I am a relative Newcomer also. I did have a Blade 350 QX3 3 years ago but have been just watching and waiting. The awesome sales that are around right now encouraged me to buy 2 of these babies. I have Pro version and I am waiting for a RealSense version to be shipped from Yuneec. I cant answer a lot of your questions but I would want the newer versions if possible. Some clues to look for: The 3 antennas on the ST-16, antennas sticking down each leg. A pointing protrusion on the joint where the foot meets the legs. Mine has all this but the Firmware version was not the latest, it was 3.01 B27 which is the previous version. I imagine my RealSense version will be the most recent stock coming directly from Yuneec. There are some good deals happening in the USA right now, though they may be coming to an end. Hopefully you can find a newer version on sale over there in Europe.

Hi, first sighting so please be kind… After weeks of research and hundreds of YouTube videos, I have decided to buy a Typhoon H (possibly with RealSense if I can stretch to it as I am a novice). ...

Thanks for any help - and I apologise for asking so many questions in a heap.
Welcome YuKay :) I was in the same position just over a year ago and ended up purchasing my H from a site in Germany. I would suggest that you use some care due to language differences - the site showed a H with RS installed but the unit they were selling did not include it. Also take into account that if any problems arise, it will be more difficult talking to a shop not in UK.

Do search this forum and take on board the advice from the more experienced members. For instance, you say you are a newbie. If you haven't flown drones or any RC aircraft before, most people would suggest you get a cheap (i.e. crashable) drone to learn how to fly before trying the H. Don't get me wrong, the H is a delight to fly but why risk it whilst learning to (crash) fly?

You seem concerned about the camera. Some people will say the P4 camera is better but if you are also a newbie to air photography like me, you will discover that the camera is still better than the cameraman!!

Oh and never apologise for asking questions - how else can we get the wisdom of those with more experience?

Fly safe!

On the ST16+ check out this thread
ST16 vs ST16+

BTW the ST16 can be upgraded to the ST16+ either by a shop or if you're handy you can get the upgrade antenna kit and do it yourself. There are YouTube videos showing what needs to be done.

Ron

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Also in regards to the comparison of the image between a Typhoon H and a Phantom 4, be sure to distinguish the Phantoms properly. The standard P4P has a 12 megapixel camera that has roughly the same image quality of a TH. However the Advanced, Pro and Pro+ versions of the Phantom have a completely different camera and 1 inch sensor which produces a 20 megapixel image that is far better the TH can achieve.

Reactions: rdonson
…most people would suggest you get a cheap (i.e. crashable) drone to learn how to fly before trying the H. Don't get me wrong, the H is a delight to fly but why risk it whilst learning to (crash) fly?!
Thanks Dilly Joat - but having done my research I am impatient to climb aboard. I am also a gambler so I'll take my chances -- starting with thorough reading and understanding of the manual, tutorials and everything else I can find, and then venturing no further than my garden for a while…and maybe some indoor training on the simulator (no Mac version, **** them!) and the machine itself with IPS!

And anyway when you get to a certain age, you just need to crack on with things.

Reactions: spotondl
Thanks Dilly Joat - but having done my research I am impatient to climb aboard. I am also a gambler so I'll take my chances -- starting with thorough reading and understanding of the manual, tutorials and everything else I can find, and then venturing no further than my garden for a while…and maybe some indoor training on the simulator (no Mac version, **** them!) and the machine itself with IPS!

And anyway when you get to a certain age, you just need to crack on with things.

I stubbornly started flying 9 years ago on an Eflite T-34 Trainer, that turned out to be only a Trainer in the full scale version. I bought 2 and set out on huge local Turf farms. I shoved a stick up my but and managed to learn and become a very good pilot and I still have both T-34's. I did fly on a simulator for 3 months prior to ever going to a field. If you are smart and cautious about this you will do fine. I just ordered the Simulator and look forward to many hours of virtual stick time in the coming months. Half of the enjoyment for me is all the technical aspects of this hobby. Good luck and lets keep each other inspired.

On the ST16+ check out this thread
ST16 vs ST16+

BTW the ST16 can be upgraded to the ST16+ either by a shop or if you're handy you can get the upgrade antenna kit and do it yourself. There are YouTube videos showing what needs to be done.
Thanks Ron. Having read that thread, I'm not sure I'm fully clued up yet. According to the Yuneec UK website, the ST16+ is only supplied with the H920. The Typhoon models all ship with the ST16* albeit these do have two long antennae. So either one of the antennae is a dummy or there is some other distinguishing feature of the ST16+ which is needed for the H920 (eg for waypoint programming - or perhaps the Panasonic CGO4 camera needs it).

In other words, it looks like the current ST16 ships with two long antennae and so there must be another explanation for the ST16+ model.

*The H520 ships with a different variant, the ST16S - which I assume includes special kit to suppress signal interference from radio towers, masts, etc.

Thanks Ron. Having read that thread, I'm not sure I'm fully clued up yet. According to the Yuneec UK website, the ST16+ is only supplied with the H920. The Typhoon models all ship with the ST16 albeit these do have two long antennae. So either one of the antennae is a dummy or there is some other distinguishing feature of the ST16+ which is needed for the H920 (eg for waypoint programming - or perhaps the Panasonic CGO4 camera needs it).

In other words, it looks like the current ST16 ships with two long antennae and so there must be another explanation for the ST16+ model.

Nice clever detective work!

The ST16s has a 64 bit operating system and will only work with the H520. The only difference between the ST16's is the location of the antennas. The originals had one external stick antenna for the 2.4GHZ control signal and a mushroom for the 5.8GHz video signal. The remainder of the antennas are inside the ST16. The later versions have 2 stick antennas for 2.4GHz control and telemetry. (The telemetry antenna was moved to the outside.) The video antenna can be the mushroom (omni-directional) or the patch antenna (directional). Moving the antenna to the outside is not very difficult or expensive.

Exercise care when buying a new unit on eBay. Only the official Yuneec seller has a factory warranty. The other sellers may list a warranty but Yuneec may not honor it. You must have a receipt from an authorized seller to get warranty service.

Beware of Youtube comparisons. It is well known that DJI has a rewards program for anyone willing to promote the phantom while denigrating other brands. Keep in mind that the P4P+ is about twice the cost of the H, the batteries are something like $150 and you still need to provide your own monitor. Yuneec warranty claims and support is much better in the UK. The ability to land with 5 motors has saved perhaps thousands of H's from a crash when a pilot clipped a tree. The CGO3+ with the 98 degree lens seems to have fewer focus problems than the older 115 degree lens. Many of the issues with quality relate to getting the proper WB and exposure set. The default settings can yield less than perfect photos or video. Sadly the CGO3+ has to be adjusted each time it is powered on. The settings are not saved.

Reactions: YuKay
Also in regards to the comparison of the image between a Typhoon H and a Phantom 4, be sure to distinguish the Phantoms properly. The standard P4P has a 12 megapixel camera that has roughly the same image quality of a TH. However the Advanced, Pro and Pro+ versions of the Phantom have a completely different camera and 1 inch sensor which produces a 20 megapixel image that is far better the TH can achieve.
Thanks Ty Pilot. I do take a somewhat sceptical view of blogger comparisons since there's no way of knowing whether any coin changed hands. But the comparison I referred to was this one - which allegedly shows footage from the DJI 4k/12MP camera:

It may well be that the Typhoon wasn't properly set up or that the Phantom footage was enhanced in post (if so, it needed more work on colour balance and saturation in my view) but, at face value and imho, the Phantom video focus looks much superior - especially in the sequence starting at 1m22s. Which is why I'm hoping that the current Typhoon models/camera/lens and firmware are better than they were then. If not, I will live with it…but I might just wait for the next Yuneec announcement in case it makes me jump off a bridge.

These comparison vids are always made by 'neutral persons'.
I am very curiuous how they raise the money and time to get the hardware and learn to use it.

I am sure there are better cameras then the cgo3+, but I think it does a great job once you learnt to get the settings right (as with all cameras). Besides one can do a pretty useful lens upgrade which obviously helps.

An example of standard CGO3+, with the right manual settingsfor the job. No postprocessing done, only used a ND filter. You can click the picture for enlargement. (sorry for everyone that has seen the picture already, next time I'll upload another... :) )

View media item 652

copyright: AEROBOTIK aerial imaging

Cheers!

Reactions: rdonson
@YuKay I've seen that guy's Youtube channel - View it HERE - and all I can say is; he either has tons of cash to buy more tech gear than he could ever use in three life times or, he might be a paid reviewer. I don't no so I won't comment. I will say this, I could take a P4P standard, and do a comparison video in which the Typhoon comes out the clear winner. To my eye's it look like he has applied a 1 or 2 pixel Gaussian Blur to the TH footage in post or, maybe he got a bad camera.

Also, notice the direction of the sun in the comparison of the bicycle follow shot at 1:04; the Phantom shot was done with the sun behind but the Typhoon shot was unfortunately shooting up-sun, thereby speeding up the shutter and reducing color saturation and dynamic range making the footage crappy. A good reviewer that understood photography and video techniques would never do that and not admit the distinction.

Either way, in the 12 MP class, I believe if operated correctly, the CG03+ holds it's own pretty well.

Reactions: Dr Delta and YuKay
The CGO3+ with the 98 degree lens seems to have fewer focus problems than the older 115 degree lens. Many of the issues with quality relate to getting the proper WB and exposure set. The default settings can yield less than perfect photos or video. Sadly the CGO3+ has to be adjusted each time it is powered on. The settings are not saved.
Thanks Steve - I have previously absorbed all your comments from the research I did before coming here - and ended up deciding irrevocably to invest in the H…for reasons which override my lens focus concerns.

Can you point me to the model/s with a 98 degree lens? The Yuneec UK website specs the CGO3+ with a 115 degree FOV and I couldn't see the 98 degree version.

It may well be that the Typhoon wasn't properly set up or that the Phantom footage was enhanced in post
That video was made about the time the H was released. The video from all of my CGO3 cameras is much sharper than what is posted here. I noticed the reviewer has made lots of videos on DJI products which gives a clue to his preference.
These video comparisons are often intentionally set up to make one product look better. In the scene below notice how the Phantom was filming with the sun behind the camera and the H was filmed facing the sun. Certainly gives more clues as to the purpose of the video.

P4P_CGO3 comparison.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval