Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie, what do I do with video?

Reaction score
Ok, so if anyone has read my posts, I'm a newbie and really no clue what I'm doing. That's ok by me, you don't learn how to do stuff without doing it. Now that I'm able to take cool vids, pics, etc. what do I do with them as a newbie? I have to get into editing because watching vids with no music, or incomplete 5 min vids is boring. So what do I need to use as a beginner to learn editing, etc.?

Ok, so if anyone has read my posts, I'm a newbie and really no clue what I'm doing. That's ok by me, you don't learn how to do stuff without doing it. Now that I'm able to take cool vids, pics, etc. what do I do with them as a newbie? I have to get into editing because watching vids with no music, or incomplete 5 min vids is boring. So what do I need to use as a beginner to learn editing, etc.?

Pop the card out, put it in your computer and watch what you did. Play around with resolutions and find one you like. 4K is kind of frustrating due to playback more then capture. Develop your sky eye so you learn to anticipate proper shot parameters for height, speed, angle, point of view and your own cursed shadow. Everyday there is something new to learn.

Reactions: Murray Martz
Many people new to editing have used Wondershare. They have a trial version and the learning curve isn't bad. There are tutorials on using it.

The hardest part of editing is throwing out most of your footage. The end product is best if it's only 1 to 3 minutes. Nobody watches a video longer than that.

With scenes in those 1-3 minute videos broken up into segments lasting only a few seconds to maintain interest...

Many people new to editing have used Wondershare. They have a trial version and the learning curve isn't bad. There are tutorials on using it.

The hardest part of editing is throwing out most of your footage. The end product is best if it's only 1 to 3 minutes. Nobody watches a video longer than that.
I believe Adobe photoshop elements and after effects have a trail version as well. A little more advanced but there's plenty of documentation on how to use the software.

I also have to agree with throwing out video (I save it on an external for other uses) to make a great video. I just had three hours of videos drop down to a 49 second teaser video...don't be afraid to reshoot a shot if the first one doesn't work, don't force a bad shot.

And lastly, practice, practice, practice. Practice flying, practice camera manipulation and practice editing.

It is true that there are many "free" programs out there, but free does have it's limitations.

Here are the 3 free ones I use. When combined, these offer everything you will need for video and most images. I believe that when even the seasoned members have a look at these, they will probably start to use them as well. They are pretty straight forward and each offers something Yuneec....oops meant unique.

Sony's Action Cam official site - Action Cam Movie Creator - Support
PlayMemories Home Download
GoPro Studio

I use Movavi Video Editor 12 for my business, easy to use and effective for simple projects. I think $99.

Reactions: useitorloseit

Not aimed at you, Steve. I just quoted you for background.

The trial version of Wondershare has a heavy watermark in it's rendered footage so the free version of Wondershare is only good for evaluation...you won't get anything usable out of it unless you pay for it. However, I have it and I thought it was so good that I paid for it. It was one of the easier editors to learn but still isn't a slouch in producing a good video.

yes, there are better editors out there. I've tried some of them. Some are difficult to learn, some are resource hungry so won't run properly on older computers or computers that don't have 'guts'. Wondershare offers a good compromise: You pay for it. It's not so resource hungry as some out there, not too difficult to learn, and produces pretty good results.

All that said. If you have a good 'gutsy' computer with plenty of horsepower (at least 16 Gb memory and a i7 processor and good graphics card with good memory on it), the I recommend Davinci Resolve. More difficult to learn than Wondershare but has all the things in it that you are ever likely to use.

I agree about the editing. You have to be ruthless in throwing away stuff. Anything much above 3 minutes is in danger of being repetitive. Only produce anything much longer if you feel you can hold your audience's attention...remember that what interests you may be bloody boring to someone else. As PatR says, go for shorter segments. Often, producing a good edited video is hard if you haven't got good source footage to work with. So, if you intend to edit your footage, then keep in mind what you are looking to produce from the flight: A bit of planning can go a long way to help you in the editing stage.

The longest video I've produced was 10 minutes long. Typically my videos are between 1 minutes and 4 minutes long, peaking at just over 2 minutes.

The graphics card is the big one. It's got to be real good. I've got the ram and then some, I've got the processor speed. But the graphics card falls short. Less work to buy a new computer. Desk top this time.

Reactions: useitorloseit
Davinci Resolve, very difficult to learn in my opinion. I tried it and boy just like a stubborn lady can't figure her out. Even went to YouTube for help still a pain. I've been using adobe products for over 20 years it's all a learning curve and patience. Try several different version I'm sure you will find one for your needs. I concur anywhere from 30 secs for tv spots to 3 or 4 minutes, beyond that you will loose your audience unless it's ...... fill in the blank.:eek::rolleyes:

It is true that there are many "free" programs out there, but free does have it's limitations.

Here are the 3 free ones I use. When combined, these offer everything you will need for video and most images. I believe that when even the seasoned members have a look at these, they will probably start to use them as well. They are pretty straight forward and each offers something Yuneec....oops meant unique.

Sony's Action Cam official site - Action Cam Movie Creator - Support
PlayMemories Home Download
GoPro Studio

I have GoPro Studio (as I have several GoPros....) but I've never gotten my Typhoon mp4's to import and view in GoPro Studio. Are you doing anything in particular differently to get them to work in it? I actually had to resort to using Window Movie Maker which imported and edit just fine, though I must say I don't "like" the very limited editing features of WMM. -Thanks.

Last edited:
I have GoPro Studio (as I have several GoPros....) but I've never gotten my Typhoon mp4's to import and view in GoPro Studio. Are you doing anything in particular differently to get them to work in it? I actually had to resort to using Window Movie Maker which imported and edit just fine, though I must say I don't "like" the very limited editing features of WMM. -Thanks.
The file size will determine what the H renders it as, allowing you to import the file. Most feel producing this high quality product for people on YouTube is important, but really you are only doing it so others can watch on the internet, so produce for that unless it is going to someone who is paying for high quality. The three I posted the links to give you options to make most anything between the three. 1920x1080 works fine in the GOPro Studio. I pull all my files from a folder on my PC they are saved to and work from there.

Something you're going to find out is the flying and capturing of imagery is the fun, easy part. From there on it's work.

Like most people the videos is watched once and stored on a hard drive,
I have a 80" flat screen and I just play the video from the SD card on the TV and it is amazing to watch in super size !
After that, just transfer to a external HD or delete.

Like most people the videos is watched once and stored on a hard drive,
I have a 80" flat screen and I just play the video from the SD card on the TV and it is amazing to watch in super size !
After that, just transfer to a external HD or delete.
Are you able to just plug in the SD card to the TV and it works? I have a 4K tv also, but not a 4K computer so the vid on the comp is laggy. I thought about getting a USB SD reader and plugging it directly into my TV, but someone else on here said it didn't work.

Davinci Resolve, very difficult to learn in my opinion. I tried it and boy just like a stubborn lady can't figure her out. Even went to YouTube for help still a pain. I've been using adobe products for over 20 years it's all a learning curve and patience. Try several different version I'm sure you will find one for your needs. I concur anywhere from 30 secs for tv spots to 3 or 4 minutes, beyond that you will loose your audience unless it's ...... fill in the blank.:eek::rolleyes:

I use Davinci Resolve, requires a bit of horsepower but pretty good program, and has a free to use version.

RedHat's Fedora workstation has a great flavor of it's OS tailored to video editing. All for free. Good editor, good tools, good OS. If you have a spare computer (or another hard drive in a computer you could use for dual-boot) then it's worth a look-see.
Other than this, make sure you start as a beginner... use lots of star wipes, page turn transitions, sparkly overlays, and Comic Sans for all of your CG pages. Oh, and make sure you put terrible music that appeals to only YOU as a sound track. LOL ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop