Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NIB Typhoon H

The H hasn’t changed physically since first release, although it’s possible improved GPS and compass modules from the original may now be in use. You cannot check those.

Turn on the ST-16 and tap the Settings icon, then tap About Controller. If the firmware for the ST-16 states “b30” it is the current version. The system does not need to be using the most recent firmware to perform correctly so there is no hurry to update if it is not current.

PatR is correct. I got my Typhoon back in March, a new update came shortly there after, I chose not to update as I wanted to see just what the new update was like before doing so. I am still flying on the original firmware and unless I see a dramatic, positive, zero failure rate - in subsequent updates, I will continue to fly as is since my bird has been flawless to date (Knocks on wood). If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: flyingkar7
Thanks for the replies, I have started unpacking. It still looks impressive. I folded up the arms and one of them is a bit stiff. It doesn't release effortlessly like the others, I have to pull up on the arm and really push the tab down hard for it to release. Anyone else have arms like this?

I am trying to stay positive but the manual really has me disturbed, pages and pages of fine print. Are they serious? I found the manual and the current firmware on their site. I see the 3.04 was release last March, I was hoping my Typhoon was up to date as it is version 3.0 which I see goes back a whole year.

Last edited:
VP, Take the Micro SD card out of the little accessory box. On it, you will find the manual in a PDF as well as some other stuff. COPY them to your hard drive.If this is your first Multi, before flying; read the manual thoroughly but also take a look at some of the "Sticky Topics" here in the Typhoon H discussion and Help threads. You will find, that the manual is okay at best, its not a strong point for Yuneec (or any other manufacturer for that matter). Take the time to read through these posts. A Boeing 747 800 series literally flies an intercontinental mission without any assistance from a pilot (unless there is weather to avoid) - but don't think for a minute that a new pilot could do that. Same with these aircraft, operating them is a lot more of a task than the manufacturer makes it seem. Most pilot errors are caused from not understanding the systems they are operating. Pay particular attention to "Flight Modes", many pilots have their first crash from not understanding the differences here. Oh, and good luck and happy flying.

Reactions: chimpax and PatR
Okay thanks. I have been flying RC for 8 years. 3 years ago I had a Blade 350 QX2 for 2 weeks and then returned it and got the QX3. Flew them for a few flights but didn't trust them and retuned them to Horizon. I am glad I did. At that time I started to follow Yuneec's progress. I am still a bit weary of committing to this. It seems like a great unit but I could use some reassuring. Can the manual be installed on the controller?

Okay thanks. I have been flying RC for 8 years. 3 years ago I had a Blade 350 QX2 for 2 weeks and then returned it and got the QX3. Flew them for a few flights but didn't trust them and retuned them to Horizon. I am glad I did. At that time I started to follow Yuneec's progress. I am still a bit weary of committing to this. It seems like a great unit but I could use some reassuring. Can the manual be installed on the controller?

Ah okay - good to know you got some air time. Not sure about the manual being installed on the controller, maybe someone that can help you better with that will respond. As for the reassurance; most people only post when the need help or have had a crash so the balance of posts on a forum like this will look slanted towards the negative. Not many pilots will make a post about another successful flight around the house but they are here.;) BTW, the user manual is only about 30 pages, I printed one off just to keep with the H so I have a paper copy I can read in the field if I need to.

One could transfer the manual to a folder in the controller Pad but the problem with that has the pad having to be open to view the file. It’s not possible to save the manual to the pad and be accessible when the system is flying the H. You can have the pad or flight control but not both at the same time. If you are flying and place the system in Pad mode the flight controls are cut off and the aircraft goes into lost comm mode and returns to the last known position of the controller and hovers until comms are re-established. Exit pad mode by tapping the Home icon to return comms and flight control should this happen.

The H is a solid bird when people operate it as it should be operated. Some run into problems when they try to do something they are not familiar with. Avoiding those moments are pretty easy, even with the shoddy manual. If you are unsure or iuneasy about trying something come back here and ask a question. We’ll help you out. Most would much rather help before a problem occurs:)

Make notes as you learn the system and expand the manual accordingly.

If anyone else is looking for deal on a TH480 here’s another good deal.

YUNEECTyphoon H Hexacopter with GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, and Backpack

Funny how things turn out. After fiddling with my stiff arm that wont click cleanly into place, I noticed the arm was twisted. Looking at the motor in relation to the opposite one I could see it was quite crooked. So after seeing this post I carefully boxed everything back up and went back to Best Buy to return it. I just placed the order with B&H. I haven't ordered from them in years, I bought a lot of telescope accessories from them in the 1990's. While I was at Best Buy I looked closely at the only Typhoon they had left, the display model in a glass case. I could see the motors were not exactly straight, not as crooked as mine but a bit off nonetheless. Has anyone seen this?

I'm pretty sure multi rotors achieve added rotation in the yaw axis from a slightly leaning thrust line in opposing motors. In the case of a hex like the Typhoon, all A motors will lean the same amount in one direction and all B motors will lean a similar amount in the other. In level flight, if you were to yaw in one direction while maintaining height, the aircraft achieves this by increasing (for instance) thrust on the A motors while decreasing the similar amount on the B motors. By doing this; overall vertical thrust (maintaining height) is kept, while the slight rotational thrust component from the A motors is increased and simultaneously decreased by the B motors and thereby rotation is achieved. While I am sure there is also a yaw component from the thrust of motors alone, the leaning thrust lines aid the rotational effect especially as the aircraft get bigger and heavier.

If you look at a four engine multi (Like a Phantom) whose motor alignment set by virtue of the design (you could't adjust it if you wanted to), you will also see a slight twist in the opposing motors because even though the opposing motor will be the same ( A or B) on the other side the thrust would lean the opposite direction when viewed from the side but the rotational effect is in the same direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430