Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Night mode

Reaction score
So seen this posted a while back by AeroJ so tonight I thought I would try it and here was the results not bad at all set camera to night mode and set iso to highest so thanks AeroJ for sharing YUN00039.jpegYUN00040.jpegYUN00042.jpeg

Hmmm. Great that you tried it, and good to know what it does, but I'd hoped it would be less noisy than that. If you turn ISO down to combat it I bet it's not bright enough.

How much performance should we expect from a fixed aperture, fixed focal length, micro sensor camera?

How much performance should we expect from a fixed aperture, fixed focal length, micro sensor camera?
More than I'm seeing here, considering how much they charge for it ! I'd hoped that if there was a dedicated 'Night mode', it might actually be helpful in getting night footage in some way, perhaps by being a specifically designed 'low-noise' mode or something... but apparently not. What it seems to give us instead is so much noise you can't get a usable result ! The noise reduction algorithms in our favourite image editors are going to struggle to rescue that...

Last edited:
I think the original CGO3 on the Q500 is a better night camera. That’s my night flyer still or my Autel AMAX. The Anafi takes better night photos as you’ve got more shutter control and can lower Iso and go super slow on speed for photos. Also, it’s “noise” is good looking. The Yuneec cameras are always grainy with ISO values over 200 and they choices are stuck in larger increments so you can’t find the sweet spot often without ND filters during daylight even. It’s a camera that requires some experience of flying and then studying on an accurate monitor to understand what’s really going on with your settings. I used to log my different settings of filter relative to shutter speed so I could understand what works best for me. I just took my first challenging sunset photos with the Plus to see what that 1” sensor does with DNGs.

I’m not sold on the high quality for the price thing. What we pay for an entire camera and gimbal with the CGO-3 is less than a good DSLR wide angle lens. As long as we use what is in essence a cheap 4k security cam we should accept image quality equal to higher quality, higher priced cameras isn’t gonna happen.

I’m not sold on the high quality for the price thing. What we pay for an entire camera and gimbal with the CGO-3 is less than a good DSLR wide angle lens. As long as we use what is in essence a cheap 4k security cam we should accept image quality equal to higher quality, higher priced cameras isn’t gonna happen.

Of course I do accept it's never going to be like a DSLR, but given that people like DJI can produce awesome night footage from a lens and sensor in a similar class (or at least size) as our own, and given the presence of a special mode for it, I had just hoped the results would be less awful than that ! :)

Of course I do accept it's never going to be like a DSLR, but given that people like DJI can produce awesome night footage from a lens and sensor in a similar class (or at least size) as our own, and given the presence of a special mode for it, I had just hoped the results would be less awful than that ! :)

I understand what you’re sayin but there’s a big difference in the way companies go about things. Until the E-90/C-23 Yuneec has been using cameras only slightly modified from the security cam platform they started out as. DJI started “purpose building” cameras quite some time back. Taking that a step further DJI appears to have recognized that camera design requires people that truly understand cameras so they bought Hassleblad to further expand payload design.

I’m not faulting Yuneec in their camera designs as most of what they have done had been close enough to “industry standard” to remain generally competitive. Heavy focus on night imagery is sort of counter productive as few people fly at night. Where I will fault Yuneec is in the area of forward planning, but such planning might be restricted to what can be done with available resources. DJI has a whole lotta money to throw around, which provides a great many options.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I understand what you’re sayin but there’s a big difference in the way companies go about things. Until the E-90/C-23 Yuneec has been using cameras only slightly modified from the security cam platform they started out as. DJI started “purpose building” cameras quite some time back. Taking that a step further DJI appears to have recognized that camera design requires people that truly understand cameras so they bought Hassleblad to further expand payload design.

I’m not faulting Yuneec in their camera designs as most of what they have done had been close enough to “industry standard” to remain generally competitive. Heavy focus on night imagery is sort of counter productive as few people fly at night. Where I will fault Yuneec is in the area of forward planning, but such planning might be restricted to what can be done with available resources. DJI has a whole lotta money to throw around, which provides a great many options.
These are from my pals p4 camera setting is auto when he was in Poland last month IMG-20181119-WA0068.jpegIMG-20181119-WA0058.jpeg

Here was his affie drone again auto not HD Poland but he has since sent the parrot back as it was a WiFi issue IMG-20181119-WA0034.jpegIMG-20181119-WA0018.jpeg

These Poland photos are quite better than you'd get from a CGO3+ (post #13). These are also shot in the "blue" hour not at night.

I thought the P4 had a 1" sensor which is a much better sensor than that in a CGO3+

So am very happy with my camera on my H and as that was my 1st time flying at night with it I do agree with patR regarding flying at night but I suppose for what I use mine for the camera does what it says it does

Again I prefer yuneec products over DJI I just think they are noisey and wee white blobs I prefer my drone to look different I wish they made the Q500 bigger I loved mine lol but if I get the chance I will give pat's camera setting a go at night

The Q-500 is actually a pretty good platform for some to learn on. Being more limited in speed and range it provides most all the skills and functions that need to be understood before transitioning to an H or higher platform. The Chroma was essentially a smaller and slightly faster version of the Q-500, but with an extra flight mode that made it pretty darn sporty.

Oright see I had the Q and sold that so I could upgrade to my H-pro but agree on the learning skills that's when I got my yuneec preference because it looked like a space craft unlike the DJI products but everyone is different just my preference

Again, that Q500 camera looks better at night and can fly on a 480. At least Yuneec provides compatibility between birds and cameras up till the plus line. Your night shots are as good as the ambient light so NYC can look good with most cameras but here in no streetlight Tucson ( on purpose for all our observatories around here), unless your downtown there is nothing to see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt