Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No fly nonsense

Reaction score
Ok, folks, I KNOW you guys have profound knowledge on this subject, and some of you will be annoyed with me for asking, but I'm new to this and need information, not opinions or attitude. I just bought a typhoon h. I just found out that it will not start the motors if i am in a "no fly zone". Ok. I'm really mad as ****, because I had no idea that i couldnt fly my new $1000.00 toy. Ever.
So, I did some research and the more I research the more confused I become. I live in Spring Hill, Florida. I am surrounded by tons of little grass strip "airports", as well as other D class airports. when i look at the 5 mile radius maps, there is very very very very few places I can fly this thing. I also read that no, they aren't actually "no fly" zones. I can fly if I call the local tower and ap manager. But I can call God himself and get permission, but the damned drone won't start so there's nowhere that I can fly this thing. THAT IS WHAT I IMAGINE THE CASE TO BE.
So, now that I have given you my wild guess situation. Can someone help? What is the solution (all the threads I have read on this forum on this subject are way over a year old).

It's not nonsense, you have two options. Get your part 107 and apply for the release form or find someplace that's not a NFZ.

And the Yuneec NFZ are comprised of the two largest classes of airports, Class B and Class C. So you really have no reason to be flying around airports of that size.

Go snag a DJI, their NFZ are a hundred times more restrictive even for Part 107 pilots.

And the Yuneec NFZ are comprised of the two largest classes of airports, Class B and Class C. So you really have no reason to be flying around airports of that size.

Go snag a DJI, their NFZ are a hundred times more restrictive even for Part 107 pilots.
Ahhhhhhhh, a real result. Thank you. Now, here's the real question.....where is the info that says what, exactly, yuneec considers nfz's ??

As I noted above, it is comprised of all Class B and Class C civilian airports and most towered military airports. The attached pdf document lists them by state.

It will also be worth learning how to read an FAA Sectional chart since moving forward knowing what airspace you are in determines how/where you can fly.

Yuneec will give you an unlock code if you have a Part 107 certificate.

Attachments

• YUNEEC-NFZ.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 46
Also, the "5-mile radius" thing no longer exists. It is ALL airspace driven. Grass strips are likely in Class G airspace. Class B, C, D are going to be airports with towers.

As I noted above, it is comprised of all Class B and Class C civilian airports and most towered military airports. The attached pdf document lists them by state.

It will also be worth learning how to read an FAA Sectional chart since moving forward knowing what airspace you are in determines how/where you can fly.

Yuneec will give you an unlock code if you have a Part 107 certificate.
Thank you. I am a licensed pilot. Instrument and multi engine rated, and can read sectionals quite well, which has absolutely nothing to do with the question. I simply wanted to know what "qualified" as a "NFZ" in terms of Yuneec's software restrictions. I can get a part 107, but don't need it since I will not engage in commercial use. I just want to play with my toy. The problem seems to have morphed, however. I don't live anywhere near a class c or b airspace, but the class d and other assorted airspace covers almost every inch of terrain between me and Timbuktu. My typhoon, however, will not start the motors. If, as you indicate, the rejection of the start command is NOT related to the NFZ issue, then less global issues are afoot.

Dear grumpy, your name betrays your smart assed reply. You're useless.

His reply was 100% accurate, regardless of his screen name.

You stated you are new to this stuff but the fact is NFZ’s have been around for a several years now. Yuneec’s are far less restrictive than another brand.

Although there is no legal requirement for multirotor manufacturers to incorporate NFZ software they did so anyway to protect themselves from the actions of operators who either are not aware of airspace use and restrictions or just don’t care about them.

Regardless of what we pay for our toys or how much experience we do or don’t have, the responsibility to learn, understand, and comply with rules regarding flight safety falls on the operator. To be irritated about something that helps protect both you and others from doing something unsafe is somewhat irrational as it places blame on the wrong subject. The failure on your part to become educated prior to making a purchase is not the fault of a manufacturer, or the products they sell.

As far as NFZ’s and Yuneec is concerned, they possess far fewer than some other companies. Usually they only levy them on large airports serving international operations. Small and private airports are usually not included in their software. This is both a boon and a bane as moving your operations away from a larger restricted airport can put you close to a small airport not afforded NFZ restrictions. Your bird would start and fly but if you were unaware of the airport or the rules about flight in controlled airspace you could quickly end up causing problems for yourself and others.

So take a deep breath, calm down, and begin the educational process that will help you become a safe operator. We know you’re itching to fly but depending on what’s nearby you’ll have to do it somewhere else. Even if you obtained a 107 and obtained NFZ removal software you would have to obtain clearance from ATC before flying in restricted airspace. There’s still hoops you have to jump through. As you are a licensed pilot you probably don’t want to risk losing your tickets because you were impatient, impulsive, and reckless, which is what could happen even operating recreationally. Being certificated establishes you know the rules.

Just in case, the H won’t start the motors when in Home mode. Take a moment and read both the Quick Start Guide and the user developed ops manual here in the forum.

BTW, when it comes to being grumpy, Grumpy can’t hold a candle for me to run by[emoji6]

Last edited:
Let’s keep it civil folks!

@stan perry,

You are not located in or near anything that would trigger an NFZ on your Typhoon H. If you look at the color code chart in the attached extended manual, you will find that the Main LED will flash red/white 5 times per second on start up if you are in one of Yuneec’s NFZ’s.

If you are not seeing that, then there is another reason the motors will not arm.

I have to leave for work and will be back this afternoon. In the meantime, if you remain civil and work with other members that know this system you may be able to find the cause of your troubles before I return.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-2.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 15
Thank you. I am a licensed pilot. Instrument and multi engine rated, and can read sectionals quite well, which has absolutely nothing to do with the question. I simply wanted to know what "qualified" as a "NFZ" in terms of Yuneec's software restrictions. I can get a part 107, but don't need it since I will not engage in commercial use. I just want to play with my toy. The problem seems to have morphed, however. I don't live anywhere near a class c or b airspace, but the class d and other assorted airspace covers almost every inch of terrain between me and Timbuktu. My typhoon, however, will not start the motors. If, as you indicate, the rejection of the start command is NOT related to the NFZ issue, then less global issues are afoot.
First time I attempted to fly my TH back in June 2016 my motors wouldn't start up. This at a place 14 miles away from the nearest airport and was not in a restricted area. I tried and tried to get the thing started but no joy and I finally gave up and went home. Later that day I took it out again to some green space next to my house and tried again. It worked! I couldn't take off though since it was a congested space and at that time I didn't have PfCO exemptions so I powered down and took my maiden flight a few days later at a local playing field. Never seen this problem since and to this day I have no idea why those motors wouldn't start that first day. I've since flown from that exact same place without a problem, Just one of those things?

• Wow
Reactions: KellyR
NFZs, whether you are using a Yuneec or DJI UAV for flight operations are an absolute world wide phenomena. The driver behind this is for the safety of all "air space" users. Relatively speaking, the imposition of UAV NFZs has been quick - but it had to be. The numbers of UAV aircraft being sold by Yuneec and DJI has grown exponentially in the last few years alone.
BTW. It is possible to fly in a NFZ, for example within 5kms of an uncontrolled airport. Provided you are able to demonstrate that your flying will be shielded; by buildings of a certain height, nearby power pylons, trees etc.
Whatever CAA/FAA jurisdiction you are going to operate under, look upon the exercise of gaining some sort of certificate in aviation law, plus a UAV "pilot's license" as a part of a greater experience of flying.
Work within the system, and you should experience few problems pursuing what was perhaps your original reason behind dropping a thousand bills for the enjoyment of flying a UAV. You can't legally drive a car without a DL. You certainly can't (legally) fly other types of aircraft without a PL. Take some heed of at least some of the advice being offered, instead of becoming defensive over what is being offered!
Happy flying! :cool:;)

Last edited:
Thank you. I am a licensed pilot. Instrument and multi engine rated, and can read sectionals quite well, which has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

Well, actually it did. You mentioned a "5-mile radius", which is not longer a valid rule. The new rules are entirely airspace driven. Since you know how to read sectionals then you are good to go. But I suggest you take a read through of the new rule set.

I simply wanted to know what "qualified" as a "NFZ" in terms of Yuneec's software restrictions.

I think I answered that.

Are you seeing any messages on the screen? And your first question was focused on NFZ, and not a more global issue with the motors not starting at all.

Okay Stan, if you are not getting the red/white flash on start up of the TH we have to look elsewhere for the cause of the motors not arming.

Let’s check that all the switches, buttons, and sticks are working properly. On the ST-16 select System Settings, OK, then Hardware Monitor. If all checks fine there, use the “back arrow” to return to the main screen.

The next thing to look at is Channel Settings. Things can get really messed up in this section and is not something to make changes in without knowing exactly what you are doing. We need to check one area to ensure nothing is mixed in Channel 1. So select Channel Settings and then OK. On the right side “Thr Ch1” should be selected, and on the left J1 and B1 should be selected(all others grayed out). At the bottom Center is the Final output monitor and should show 50%. As you move J1 throttle up you should see the output go to 100% +\-1 and down to 0% +\-1 when J1 is moved down (with the rate slider in full rabbit position). As you press B1 the final output should go to -25%. DO NOT alter anything here just back out to the main screen with the “back arrow”.

If both of the things above checkout fine and the motors still won’t arm, make sure the mode switch is in Angle mode and the OBS switch is off. The Main LED should be a solid purple with a white flash about every two seconds.

Let us know how you fare.

Reactions: KellyR and Phaedrus
To add to Doom...

The purple will be present when in angle mode and enough satellites have been acquired by the aircraft.

The white flash starts once the controller acquires 10 or more satellites in order to support any of the smart modes “follow-me, watch me, et al” even when not in smart mode.

As to the rant, I believe NFZ has been ruled out. Perhaps satellite acquisition, or lack thereof could be at play here, as I believe has been stated. Finding away around it ( disable gps, for example) or something just to get the motors to start is the tact.

Hopefully something will click without too much more frustration.

Good luck!

Jeff

P.S. yes, I went through this as well, with my first H480. I am also in the middle of no-where I.e. Class G airspace.

@stan perry

If you've got a smart phone you can see the NFZs using the B4UFly app from the FAA or UAV Forecast app. Both are a great help to drone pilots.

I don't know? I even PM him offered to drive over and help him. Hour and ½ drive from my house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop