Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No more no fly zones.

I don’t want to disappoint anyone but there are areas that restrict the use of submersible drones. Pretty much every federal water storage facility and many state and municipal owned reservoirs and rivers (watershed areas) prohibit their use due to “national security/critical infrastructure” rules.

Sadly, most of those locations don’t post that information where the public can see it. Instead they will come up on you while you are involved in the activity and cite you for it. If you’re lucky your citation will include reference to specific code sections that you can research for more information.

For anyone interested in initiating an exercise in exasperation, go on a snipe hunt with utilities and reservoir management agencies to coerce them into providing electronic copies of the legal references. If and when you obtain them you’ll find the agencies entered into obscure agreements with federal agencies at several levels, eventually arriving at DHS codes, to restrict any type of drone, model airplane, and full scale aviation or submersible activities.

Last edited:
It was fascinating watching it go under water and find a village submerged when a reservoir was built. Pretty much you can use around UK coasts in rock pools etc,i can imagine no problems off a boat in the open sea, you don't need a licence to fish. Wouldn't use it in a water board reservoir.

I would like to attach an additional item for the off the topic statements. I live in the Adelaide hills in South Australia. The arrival and departure corridors to Adelaide airport are not below 4000 feet above mean sea level. Okay I should be safe to fly my typhoon to my little hearts content. CASA has put out warnings for drone pilots and printed squilions of leaflets in the post and model shops for all to be clear of heights and locations we can fly. I make sure there is no one near when I fly etc. my point here is this there are a couple of general aviation pilots who fly under the controlled airspace but break the rules by flying within 500 above the ground where I live. You can see where I am going with this, last week I was at 400 feet above my house to photograph the latest renovation footprint of our place and this clown came screaming at full throttle just clearing my drone. Had he hit it at that speed it would have been good night for him and whoever his aircraft hit. I am also a pilot so know the rules, a couple of my friends and I got together and recorded this acts over a period of a month and submitted the complaint to casa. The answer, don’t fly my drone so high,,,, my fault. Has anyone else had an issue like this. It seems no matter what we do or where we fly we will always in the wrong. Sorry to moan folks but I am sick of this. How do we go forward and stay in the right.

VFR chart shows differently. I see 1.1 up to 3.3
YPPF airport has many small aircrafts so they will be flying much lower than the big boys.
I'm looking right now on line at your Airport; VFR chart, along IFR World HI and IFR World Lo.
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

I'm a pilot also, drones have to give way to aircrafts! Regardless.
We encounter the same issues here , but planes and helicopters are here for only a few seconds, it's not a big deal.
If you here a plane, you need to be looking, and I know you can here it many minutes before they come close you your drone.

North America Charts, for those that need info for flying.
Good App to study
Basically pan out and you can peruse the world.

Last edited:
There was actually an incident between a manned biplane and a large RC fixed wing some years ago at a community airport holding an “open house” event. The airport was temporarily closed to full scale for an RC demonstration, the manned biplane had departed the airport a few minutes earlier to go to another location.

During the RC demo, with the airport manager standing on the runway with a hand held 2 way radio with the RC pilot, the manned biplane returned for a high speed, very low level, smoke on pass over the runway and collided with the RC plane. High speed, low, and smoke on are indicative of an intentional airshow maneuver. The RC plane had been a few feet off the deck in a hover but moved down the runway and to the side at about 20’-30’ off the deck in a slowly ascending vertical attitude.

End result; RC plane destroyed, severe damage to the biplane’s wing. The biplane pilot stated he experienced mechanical “issues” that required an immediate return to the airport. Although it’s pretty clear the biplane pilot lied the NTSB faulted the RC pilot and airport manager, while clearing the biplane pilot. The RC plane should not have been flying at the airport and regardless, was required to give way to the biplane.

Last edited:
VFR chart shows differently. I see 1.1 up to 3.3
YPPF airport has many small aircrafts so they will be flying much lower than the big boys.
I'm looking right now on line at your Airport; VFR chart, along IFR World HI and IFR World Lo.

I'm a pilot also, drones have to give way to aircrafts! Regardless.
We encounter the same issues here , but planes and helicopters are here for only a few seconds, it's not a big deal.
If you here a plane, you need to be looking, and I know you can here it many minutes before they come close you your drone.

North America Charts, for those that need info for flying.
Good App to study
Basically pan out and you can peruse the world.
Yeah I hear what you say the vfr departure routes from Hppf ,parafield, are either via the substation north west of the airport not above 4000 ft or west via the salt pans and saint kilda, the return paths again are also via the *** wall west of the airport not above 1500 ft or outer harbour again not above 1500ft. The IFR traffic is not the problem as they are clearly defined on their flight paths and altitudes by adelaide you are on the nose it is the uncontrolled vfr traffic over my house that is they problem the other issue I face is around our house is heavily wooded so hearing an aircraft is one thing seeing him coming is definitely another. Thanks for your reply it’s nice to have someone else that gets the traffic issue. Like the other reply I also fly large scale RC aircraft but that is done well away from air traffic at our airfield and thankfully, to date, no issues have a great day.

Reactions: AH-1G
The point I was trying to illustrate is that no natter how severely full scale compromises flight safety, if an unmanned aircraft was in any way associated with the situation the unmanned operator will be held responsible, not the full scale.

If you’re flying 20’ above your own property and there’s any conflict with full scale it will be your fault. No matter how the hand is dealt the full scale will hold a royal flush.

Reactions: AH-1G
You are so right as I mentioned it is not all general aviation pilots that are the issue just the odd three that do not comply with the minimum 500 ft above houses. Oh well I guess we will just have to shuffle the deck and deal them again thanks for your reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33