Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Now I understand the "Fly Away"

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
So I've had my H since they first came out in May with only a couple of small issues. ST-16 lost calibration a few times, an easy fix, and a firmware update issue that was resolved without having to send anything back to Yuneec. I've held off on the last firmware update due to the 400' altitude cap. Since everything worked fine there was no reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

So it's like a winter wonderland here and thought it might be nice to do a second flight to capture what the are looks like right now. The first flight was last weekend to test out a new camera. It was pretty cold at about 25* then but aside from what I thought were some frame rate issues causing a little chop in the video it all worked pretty good. This morning was a new story. About 22*, thin overcast but otherwise no precipitation, lots of snow, 16.7v on the H battery, full charge on the ST-16, plenty of satellites and no indications of a problem. I was well more than far enough away so elected to launch in Smart mode. No problems. Raised the gear and started to move further away at about 75' of altitude and suddenly the aft red light illuminates and compass error is depicted on the -16. The H is now moving like a raped ape from right to left and before I can flip to Angle mode. Line of sight with the H is quickly obscured by a tall tree. After getting into Angle and reducing throttle to descend while trying to get clear of the visual obstruction it's still flying but I've lost sight of it. The plan was to fly out in front of me and remain well clear or anything that could limit a clear view of the H since I don't fly FPV, ever. Best laid plans and all that....

Next thing I know I'm getting both a compass and a 5 rotor warning and the video is not changing image. It's not flying any more. Still have a video link so i consider driving and tromping around the neighborhood in a foot and a half of snow to look for it. Took me a minute to figure out the telemetry was still working and to look at the GPS location on the -16 screen but I could not get the constantly cycling warnings to clear the screen while it was still linked to the H. Shutting down the -16 and re-starting it didn't help because it linked to the H again. It's very difficult to see the small GPS location numbers with warnings that can't be cleared. Yuneec, you folks need to set the warnings up where they can be acknowledged and cleared by the user.

Took a bit but managed to finally note the GPS location and perform a Google Earth search. It appears the GPS data is pretty accurate. It said it was 292' away and at 46' of altitude. Looking at the overhead view on Google Earth and I was able to track it down. Unfortunately that 46' is close to accurate. It's up in a tree that I have no hope of recovering it from.

No clue why things suddenly went from good to bad unless the temperature was lower than the H could handle. Perhaps the new camera had something going on within. Who knows. Now to figure out what to do next. I'll have to wait for the H battery to run down and self destruct before I can get into the -16 pad and pull the telemetry. What's really irritating is the H had the new camera on it, and I can see the **** thing but can't get there from here.

Sorry to hear/read this... I've always said there IS a problem with the early H models. DroneCaptain, DroneClone, working great till one day...

I'm sure one day mine will do the same thing. I have ZERO faith in this thing...

So I've had my H since they first came out in May with only a couple of small issues. ST-16 lost calibration a few times, an easy fix, and a firmware update issue that was resolved without having to send anything back to Yuneec. I've held off on the last firmware update due to the 400' altitude cap. Since everything worked fine there was no reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

So it's like a winter wonderland here and thought it might be nice to do a second flight to capture what the are looks like right now. The first flight was last weekend to test out a new camera. It was pretty cold at about 25* then but aside from what I thought were some frame rate issues causing a little chop in the video it all worked pretty good. This morning was a new story. About 22*, thin overcast but otherwise no precipitation, lots of snow, 16.7v on the H battery, full charge on the ST-16, plenty of satellites and no indications of a problem. I was well more than far enough away so elected to launch in Smart mode. No problems. Raised the gear and started to move further away at about 75' of altitude and suddenly the aft red light illuminates and compass error is depicted on the -16. The H is now moving like a raped ape from right to left and before I can flip to Angle mode. Line of sight with the H is quickly obscured by a tall tree. After getting into Angle and reducing throttle to descend while trying to get clear of the visual obstruction it's still flying but I've lost sight of it. The plan was to fly out in front of me and remain well clear or anything that could limit a clear view of the H since I don't fly FPV, ever. Best laid plans and all that....

Next thing I know I'm getting both a compass and a 5 rotor warning and the video is not changing image. It's not flying any more. Still have a video link so i consider driving and tromping around the neighborhood in a foot and a half of snow to look for it. Took me a minute to figure out the telemetry was still working and to look at the GPS location on the -16 screen but I could not get the constantly cycling warnings to clear the screen while it was still linked to the H. Shutting down the -16 and re-starting it didn't help because it linked to the H again. It's very difficult to see the small GPS location numbers with warnings that can't be cleared. Yuneec, you folks need to set the warnings up where they can be acknowledged and cleared by the user.

Took a bit but managed to finally note the GPS location and perform a Google Earth search. It appears the GPS data is pretty accurate. It said it was 292' away and at 46' of altitude. Looking at the overhead view on Google Earth and I was able to track it down. Unfortunately that 46' is close to accurate. It's up in a tree that I have no hope of recovering it from.

No clue why things suddenly went from good to bad unless the temperature was lower than the H could handle. Perhaps the new camera had something going on within. Who knows. Now to figure out what to do next. I'll have to wait for the H battery to run down and self destruct before I can get into the -16 pad and pull the telemetry. What's really irritating is the H had the new camera on it, and I can see the **** thing but can't get there from here.

Sorry to hear Pat. I'm curious how long after you raised your gear did it flip out?

How good are you at climbing trees? 46' up is a bit of a stretch for a 64 year old guy. It's nested itself pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't you recover it from the tree?

Bump - ropes my friend! Ladders? fire department? Tell them the battery pack inside could explode come summer and it presents a major fire danger you need assistance retrieving it... they might bill you but hey... bet they help and just laugh at you instead. Just on a side note the temp has seemed to dramatically affected my H and its telem. Also... it seems the compass and such are easily knocked off kilter so constantly re-calibrating is required.

Sorry to hear Pat. I'm curious how long after you raised your gear did it flip out?

Almost instantly. Pulled the telemetry by plugging the 16 into a laptop. GPS at 19-20 sats.

Yuneec states that as long as you still have link the warnings cannot be disabled. Bit of a pain in that.

Bump - ropes my friend! Ladders? fire department? Tell them the battery pack inside could explode come summer and it presents a major fire danger you need assistance retrieving it... they might bill you but hey... bet they help and just laugh at you instead. Just on a side note the temp has seemed to dramatically affected my H and its telem. Also... it seems the compass and such are easily knocked off kilter so constantly re-calibrating is required.

The tree needs to be somewhere the FD will go/can get to. I'm not in the big city.

Almost instantly. Pulled the telemetry by plugging the 16 into a laptop. GPS at 19-20 sats.

Yuneec states that as long as you still have link the warnings cannot be disabled. Bit of a pain in that.

Interesting mine flipped out when put up the gear. It instantly lost power so I instinctivly gunned it and it started to take off I chopped the throttle and it dropped into a bush.

Last edited:
The tree needs to be somewhere the FD will go/can get to. I'm not in the big city.

Gotta be within some fire district? Makes it even more likely they have nothing to do and will help lol. Where are you? Guessing its not a dead tree? if your on national forest land or blm land you can go get a 15 dollar permit to harvest firewood and cut it down..... but it has to be dead standing. I know at least in Montana you cant cut live. Pretty sure the same goes for wash and org.... dont have any logger buddies? how far from pdx?

Holy Moly, Pat. So sorry to hear that. Don't they some teen around there that you could draft to climb the tree?

Anyway, history now, so I'm not gonna be one to tell you you shoulda done this or that. I'm sure you have thought of things you could have done. With your experience you'll sort it out.

I have been very fortunate. I'm flying three now and the only mishap was a crash that was my own fault. I have had strange or unexpected happenings but nothing fatal. My 3 all come from different times and batches. All with upgrades.

Whatever you wish to do I know the forum members will be behind you and help anyway they can. Anything I might do PM me...

Reactions: Grimsin
Might have something to do with the location of the 2.4 antennas. The folks in Europe have been having issues when raising and lowering the gear for a long time. Perhaps that issue immigrated.

Might have something to do with the location of the 2.4 antennas. The folks in Europe have been having issues when raising and lowering the gear for a long time. Perhaps that issue immigrated.

How far from PDX? I have friends there, may have access to climbing gear. They might let you barrow it or go help you get it down...

How good are you at climbing trees? 46' up is a bit of a stretch for a 64 year old guy. It's nested itself pretty well.

Did not realize you are 64. I climb trees often as I hunt whitetail, but not 46 feet. Figured it is shy of that as the gps seems to always read higher than what it is. $1,800 up in that tree, personally I'm going to attempt to get it, but I'm half your age. That sucks man!

Thats not horrible. Ill make some calls. Let me know if you get it otherwise.

The height is pretty close to what it's reporting, perhaps a little higher. I stopped hunting after leaving Iraq. 4 legged game just doesn't present as much of a challenge.

The height is pretty close to what it's reporting, perhaps a little higher. I stopped hunting after leaving Iraq. 4 legged game just doesn't present as much of a challenge.

get a bear tag for bait hunting in Wisconsin... you sit in a tree stand wait for a bear to come to the bait and jump on it with a spear... good fun and a great challenge. Message out to some friends there. The tree look climbable for a young buck?

btw... over night in freezing temps will destroy an H battery (most batterys). It will never hold a charge again. Possible other things could sustain damage from over night freezing too but the battery for sure. I think verything else would be fine just make sure to allow moisture that will build inside of it after freezing to evap before ever turning it on. So far never froze my H but froze plenty of phones and computers when i lived up north...

Than get rid of the gun and get a bow or a spear, always a way to make it more of a challenge. Thank you for your service!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements