Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Now this is a productive device.. STEADY DRIVE

In the video he talks all the time about the H Plus, I've never flown it. The control of the aircraft is the same as with the H520? I mean, the H Plus also has a significant lack of exposure or curves for the controls?

I ask because it is what the H520 lacks, apart from an essential optimization of the gimbal. The device blocks the stick to make movements that with a good optimization are easy to do, of course when you have practice.

I love to see how people are bringing to market new things for our birds, which never stop, but in this case, I do not see sense :rolleyes:

Skeptical about anything that blocks stick movement, seems like a really bad idea. At crap hits the fan moments I don't want anything possibly impeding the sticks or something I have to remove to make them fully functional again.

In the video he talks all the time about the H Plus, I've never flown it. The control of the aircraft is the same as with the H520? I mean, the H Plus also has a significant lack of exposure or curves for the controls?

I ask because it is what the H520 lacks, apart from an essential optimization of the gimbal. The device blocks the stick to make movements that with a good optimization are easy to do, of course when you have practice.

I love to see how people are bringing to market new things for our birds, which never stop, but in this case, I do not see sense :rolleyes:

The only difference between the TH Plus and H520 is the color, camera and datapilot. At present the only way to fly a straight flight plan is via POI mission planner, if you are a DJI user, there is course lock, and I think the Typhoon H has a mode called cruise lock? All of these modes is to aid the operator in keeping the camera fixed, or the ability to control the tilt and pan on shooting subject while the drone flies in a straight direction to create a unique perspective, with ease.

Since the I am not familiar with Yuneec's cruise control, but I have am familiar, with DJI's course lock, and this is used all the time, specially in the industry that we work in, on top of a mission planner (I use litchi, and GS Pro all the time) There is a downside to the apps, and course lock, and that is once you commit you have to digitally exit, the same goes, with mission planner if you find yourself having a digital glitch, we do not take those things lightly, you have to digitally exit the mission, and RTH. That 2 - 5 seconds reaction time matters. In the back of our minds, we want to combat this mechanically, specially when we have to perform a task 5 days a week, and there is no comparison to having a manual control, when it comes to having a full and total precision control.

Skeptical about anything that blocks stick movement, seems like a really bad idea. At crap hits the fan moments I don't want anything possibly impeding the sticks or something I have to remove to make them fully functional again.

You have to really know your control, how it behaves, and how you want it to behave. Why am I fully supporting this? Because I've doctored similar functionality on the field.

FYI, I am not sponsored.... I just love the creative, mechanical, and devotion that another operator, with good standings has done for the community.

Cool. Support it. Just voicing concern about removing mechanical capability that you may need in an emergency situation. Yuneec digital cruise control on the TH is easily cancelled by stirring the right stick giving immediate full control.

I get the H+ or H520 don't have a cruise option, but mechanical fixes that reduce emergency capability of the aircraft leave me questioning the ultimate wisdom of such fixes.

Reactions: arruntus
Cool. Support it. Just voicing concern about removing mechanical capability that you may need in an emergency situation. Yuneec digital cruise control on the TH is easily cancelled by stirring the right stick giving immediate full control.

I get the H+ or H520 don't have a cruise option, but mechanical fixes that reduce emergency capability of the aircraft leave me questioning the ultimate wisdom of such fixes.

I examined the video more than once, and I have to admit, I have similar concerns, I also see an emergency contingency plan, and it is evident in the video that is a drop mechanism.

In our job, and let me really honest. We fly over grid (pipes, rebars, roofs more than we map, survey, and inspect) this is our bread n’ butter. And this calls for precise flying. Even doing manual mapping, if you don’t have a steady stick fingers or not pinching the sticks, you just distorted your alignments.

Drop mechanisms is better than a fit device, and I’m glad that this device has a bit of slack, enough for us to bail or exit. Also to point, based on the video is the tensioning of the mechanical speed governor. That’s a bonus.

Cool. Support it.

Thanks, man... We have to give proper shout out, because I have done similar, but the creator of the device really put thoughts into this, and again, when we fly the same missions day in and day out, we start to need a device that can aid, with the workflow.

Real pilots use Auto Pilot and glass cockpits, they are trained and conditioned for emergencies.
Until you understand how to use it professionally your going to doubt the beauty of it!

Cool. Support it. Just voicing concern about removing mechanical capability that you may need in an emergency situation.
This is a concern that needs to be voiced. And can't be voiced enough, because something like this can be dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced pilot.

That said, like @RPR, I have tried various things myself to lock the pitch and free up a hand. If you are an experienced pilot who is proficient on the sticks, and keep it in you mind that you have limited your travel to one direction, it becomes like flying a fixed wing but with no stall stall speed, you can go as slow as you want. Instead you have the ability to turn, unlock it and hover, pivot, or do what ever is necessary to avoid trouble. It takes a cool head and presence of mind. Not for everybody, but a very useful cinematographic tool for the experienced pilot.

Here’s the ghetto solution, the plastic end of a fork handle [emoji23] It was the only way to have total control, when flying over trenches, and roofs.

I use this method a lot of my DJI Inspires, the numbers pitch curves and the length determines the speed (so o have to set my curves every time, and I have been doing this for YEARS!.. lol) This method is ghetto, doable, the downside is that it comes off easily.

IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1279.jpg

At heart I’m old school, and want full control. Apps got nothing on me [emoji23] (except for mapping apps that we cannot love without)

Reactions: PatR and DCH
I used the prototype of this device back in February on the TH Plus and the H480. The H480 has cruise Control through the right d-pad, but the yaw response of the aircraft is delayed and jerky once it kicks in. Using this device all yaw response is smooth just like when you are flying using both hands. To exit Cruise Control the right stick had to be stirred, while using the Steady Drive all you need to do is pull it up off of the stick to regain full control.

If you own the TH Plus you will find that you do not have the Cruise Control function and this device fills that void.

Do I think this is a device for a novice pilot? No! But once proficiency is established and a pilot starts exploring the Cruise function this device will do a much better job of giving a smooth consistent flight and allow the right hand to work the camera while flying.

Reactions: Geert and PatR
The truth is, I'm freaking out. I had no idea that people would use such methods or systems. What is clear to me is that a system that prevents you from freely moving the sticks doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, it's okay to learn new things every day :)

Regarding the DJI course lock, which has always been called Simple or Smart mode in Yuneec, it makes a lot of sense in the Phantoom since if you turn the camera, you find a nice immobile legs in the middle of the image. Nowadays a drone that does not have retractable legs for a correct vision of the camera does not make much sense. I'm not saying a camera with a continuous turn, as the Yuneec also have, with 270º as the cameras have had for a long time is more than enough.

With the Thyphoon H I have always been a retractor of the Smart mode being on the main controls and not having a manual mode. On the main controls, Manual, Angle and RTL as it is now I think is very well. Another thing is that it also has the Smart mode to make shots by turning the camera when you move in a particular direction, remember that we do not have FPV camera, we only see the image of the main camera and does not always have to follow the same direction as the drone, in fact many times it does not. Hence the great advantage of having the Smart mode to take shots in which you move in one direction but the camera points in another, more bearing in mind that with a camera that rotates freely in 360 degrees you have absolute freedom.

Moreover, with the method that Claudius62 has discovered about manual flying with ROI activated, it makes even more sense if you fly at a distance from home. I mean that you are not going to have reference with the images of the camera, always point to a point and really if you are at 300 meters really do you not know where is the north of the drone, with the Smart mode you can get away, move the drone laterally, or approach it without problem and at the same time, and permits to a single person, take spectacular shots without having to turn the entire drone, for that is the camera that turns freely.

Finally, comment that everyone should discard flying in Smart mode until they have learned to fly well in "normal" mode, i.e. Manual mode or Angle mode in which you turn the drone with reference to the back of the drone, even when to move laterally to the left you have to move the stick to the right (the drone is looking at you). Once you have that clear, putting in hours, is when you can switch to other modes. I don't know, it's how I think you really learn to handle the drone correctly and then in case of problems, you'll know how to get out of them.

P.D.: Today the translator doesn't work fine ?

Reactions: PatR
I find it odd and disingenuous some of negative response of the Steady Drive.?
When you first purchased the H, I'm sure you were in some way intimidated and taking a careful approach by understanding the flying dynamics before you ventured to far.
Just as there are advances in new and aftermarket products, it's a matter of learning and adapting.
So for those who have one on the way, we will see the results and their opinions..

Reactions: BigAl07
The truth is, I'm freaking out. I had no idea that people would use such methods or systems. What is clear to me is that a system that prevents you from freely moving the sticks doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, it's okay to learn new things every day :)

[emoji3166]

OT: Have you drifted a car before? I’m from California and worst yet, I grew up in the Alameda military base, which is close to Oakland, Ca. And during my younger days, a culture was booming straight out of the Bay called “sideshow” in any rate, to complete a perfect doughnut, you put a stick to the pedal, with precise timing as you release the clutch, and if you time it just right, you will make a perfect 360 slide... [emoji23] while you sit out the window (for a good 10 secs)

I find it odd and disingenuous some of negative response of the Steady Drive.[emoji848]
When you first purchased the H, I'm sure you were in some way intimidated and taking a careful approach by understanding the flying dynamics before you ventured to far.
Just as there are advances in new and aftermarket products, it's a matter of learning and adapting.
So for those who have one on the way, we will see the results and their opinions..

The SD has to earn its respect. It has gotten mine, because I made a quick n’ dirty version of my own. I can understand, where others are coming from. If I did not have an idea of its benefits.. ****! I’ll bash it, and play as a devils advocate, but I need one, and I’m not going to down play a product that will aid me.

Try crabbing and slipping in a twin on approach. Now try it slowing down on approach.
These are maneuvers we practiced, scary, yes! Just like the Steady Drive it's a matter of practice.
Like the H, we fly to get more proficient, at least we should be!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and PatR
Try crabbing and slipping in a twin on approach. Now try it slowing down too.

Okay!!!!! I’m afraid of heights.. [emoji23] I have 2 cousins who are commercial pilots for Hawaiian Air, a friend who owns a tourist helicopter ride in Hawaii. I take sleeping pills to knock me out during domestic flights, and not once dared to take a heli ride. [emoji23]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix