Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NZ - Compulsory registration and new powers to seize an illegally operated UAV!

Reaction score
Is the New Zealand government keeping up with other countries, or trying to get ahead of the pack when it comes to "cracking down" on what proposed new laws would classify as grounds for the seizure of an "illegally operated drone". This item appeared on a Radio New Zealand news feed earlier today:

www.rnz.co.nz

Government looks at powers to seize illegally operated drones
Drone users might soon need a license to fly one, and could be pinged by police and seized if they break the law.
www.rnz.co.nz
www.rnz.co.nz

Personally, I don't have a problem with requirements such as NFZ - as long as 'Fly Safe' authorised access processes are managed fairly and in a timely manner.
Personally, I don't have a problem with compulsory registration; so long as the policing of such a system is managed fairly across all UAV operators, whether they are registered but conducting aerial activity that puts other AGL users at risk, or a "weekend jock" who thinks it will be okay to sneak a vid' of that crowded beach scene because the surf and sand look great while being oblivious to all the rules and laws being broken, then pleading ignorance when facing a potential confiscation of gear!

The regs outlined for NZ seem to be similar to those proposed for the EU. Your Transport Minister Phil Twyford references the Gatwick incident; there is still no clear evidence that a drone was ever present at Gatwick and it is now doubtful whether any evidence will ever be available. Your government may be able to introduce drone regs quickly, but here (UK) ours is still in a discussion phase. I gather they received at least 12000 responses from the public to the proposed regs, but the BMFA (assocn. of model flyers) also says they are hard of hearing. I can see us falling in line with EU regs and trust Yuneec will be able to produce firmware that complies.
I was recently in Westport in Ireland, which is a lovely small town, but busy with tourists. You seem to have more open spaces in which to fly than we do, and I'm quite envious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my