Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Object avoidance fails

Reaction score
Yesterday and a few other flights previously, I've had an error right after connection that the object avoidance has failed. This error message sits in the middle of the screen and only hitting the back button on the ST-16 can I dismiss it. I usually fly angle mode and really was in a nice clear field so I wasn't really too concerned until I tried to land and the H bounced and almost tipped on landing. This happened twice yesterday out of the 6 batteries I flew. Each time my battery was at 14.8 volts. I'm not certain what is causing my OBS to fail.
Just to clarify this isn't OBS not available but an actual fail. And not on every flight either.
Thoughts?

Yesterday and a few other flights previously, I've had an error right after connection that the object avoidance has failed. This error message sits in the middle of the screen and only hitting the back button on the ST-16 can I dismiss it. I usually fly angle mode and really was in a nice clear field so I wasn't really too concerned until I tried to land and the H bounced and almost tipped on landing. This happened twice yesterday out of the 6 batteries I flew. Each time my battery was at 14.8 volts. I'm not certain what is causing my OBS to fail.
Just to clarify this isn't OBS not available but an actual fail. And not on every flight either.
Thoughts?

Open field no obstacles why is it needed to be on?

You are advised to switch off object avoidance during landing... bottom left of page 7 in the manual! Dust etc that is kicked up from the prop wash can cause your aircraft to react undesirably.

Not on on mine, the warning just comes on either at boot or sometime during flight.

Have that too, occasionally. Has been like this since I have the H and occurs at boot even with OBS switched off.

I always fly and land with Obstacle Avoidance off. Only use it in follow/watch me mode.

Well this is all well and good but doesn't anyone think that OBS failure can have implications on other things not functioning as intended? I've never had problems landing until this started cropping up. I usually have the OBS on the middle setting. I don't use it otherwise ( even when in smart mode follow me)

You are advised to switch off object avoidance during landing... bottom left of page 7 in the manual! Dust etc that is kicked up from the prop wash can cause your aircraft to react undesirably.

The point is that OBS failed.. so it wasn't working correct??

I've had that also. I tended to get it during preflight when there were not enough satellites for GPS lock. Have you been keeping your firmware up to date?

Did it fail or was the aircraft at an altitude where OBS will not function? OBS does have height and flight mode requirements.

Unless it can ping something it can't work so if it sends out sonar and gets no reply you can get a fail warning.

Ok that makes no sense.
Why would it not get a response on the ground ? If that were the case then you would think it would be coded ( the error response) as something less drastic as OBS failure and the only way to clear is by hitting the home or back buttons ..

Did it fail or was the aircraft at an altitude where OBS will not function? OBS does have height and flight mode requirements.

I don't turn it on or off.. at least I like to think it's in the middle or neutral position.
It happens at boot or very close there after ( always looking at satellite info for a bit) it pops up in the middle of the screen and you have to clear the message. FYI i get the message even when I flip the switch to off.

If OBS is turned off, H sitting on the ground and just booted, then the fail warning means that something did not check when it booted. Also, if the warning comes on while flying with OBS off, then something is not right.

If OBS is turned off, H sitting on the ground and just booted, then the fail warning means that something did not check when it booted. Also, if the warning comes on while flying with OBS off, then something is not right.

Agreed. Is there a way to "reseat" the real sense module?
Maybe it's a loose connection of some sort.
This has never happened when it's been in the air.

I seem to recall a magnetic ring sensor connected to part of the RS module being attached w/ Velcro...perhaps that component has come loose?

Have you installed the latest updates from Yuneec. I had OBS Failed and OBS Not Available until I updated. Now, all is well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace