Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Obstacle avoidance

Reaction score
Obstacle avoidance Mode is slow.

Excuse my newbie question as I just got this bird a week ago.

What good is this mode if it’s so slow to fly . I find the other modes nice like curve cable cam and watch / follow me Modes . But with obstacle advodance on its slow as a turtle

Just like a car, the success of obstacle avoidance is directly proportional to speed of travel and consequently, available reaction time... we all have to obey the laws of physics... :)

Reactions: rdonson
OA has limitations on how far ahead it can see (its sonar). Plus there are calculations of a sort being made. With OA on you fly at the speed that Yuneec feels that the aircraft will safely stop before hitting the obstacle.

It’s actually a very handy video mode. It allows for a very reliable tracking speed. Speed is not always the goal when you are going for a cliff face at sunset or flying low over flora and fauna to see the colors. I personally believe the TH is more of a filmmakers camera then an action movie camera even though it is amazing for car chase and follow. The variations in control with the cruise setting, the turtle/rabbit slider and the OA give me a lot of filming options.

It’s actually a very handy video mode. It allows for a very reliable tracking speed. Speed is not always the goal when you are going for a cliff face at sunset or flying low over flora and fauna to see the colors. I personally believe the TH is more of a filmmakers camera then an action movie camera even though it is amazing for car chase and follow. The variations in control with the cruise setting, the turtle/rabbit slider and the OA give me a lot of filming options.

I believe this is the best characterization of the H that I've ever seen.
And in so few words without bloating language.

I bow humble and deep.

:)

For many of us the Typhoon H is first and foremost a camera platform from which we capture videos and stills.

Its not generally a hot rod in the air. Your use may be different.

For my tastes if I fly too fast the video rarely looks as good as I'd like. As @CraigCam says there's also more control at slower speeds. I like using "cruise control" or CCC to make it easier for me to take pleasing video using the pan controls while piloting. If I go too fast then more of my attention is on flying than "getting the shot".

I find it better to speed up the video in post production if needed rather than slowing it down.

I started using the curved cable cam and like it a lot . I can define my major points of interest and the repeatly fly the same route to get the best shots.

My first couple of flights where just get use to the bird and how the controls react and that’s when I noticed the reduced speed with obstacle advoidance on .

Just getting used to this bird and all it’s it’s features .

Careful with Curve Cam. The start altitude and start geo center change from flight to flight. If you take off from the same spot every time on the same day, it is tighter in return to your original start point. That will be different the next day. When you swipe the start and you notice it’s first programmed start point is radically off then do not continue. The internal programming can drive your drone into the ground if you have a low point in your run or an obstacle if your path is narrow. If your serious about using Curve Cam in your work, then consider purchasing the UAV Toolbox app. It limits the lowest point to 20’ if I remember correctly. It’s editing is also possible offline and in the field.

Here is a link to a lengthy video of a many moves tweaked in with UAV Toolbox from last year.

That's a fun video, Craig!!!! The music fit the video nicely. It was like being in the desert and wondering where the pilot actually was until you came up to show the housing. I was really into looking at where the water runs (washes) when it does rain around there.

I've been to AZ several times. Its hard not to fall in love with Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott and a number of other places there. Phoenix never appealed to me though.

Nicely done!!!

Thank you. I went out for days looking at the shadow lines with multiple runs. That run actually dropped a foot and cropped a few parts but also yielded better close ups. I should revisit as there has been dramatic changes to those cactus. The weird bird shaped one fell apart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval