Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

OK. I’m an idiot. So what else is new?

WTFDproject

Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion last couple days of doing compass/accelerometer calibrations. Some new stuff showed up I found intriguing, so I devised a masterful plan to do an “A+” calibration of my beloved Q500.
Took a small table out to the middle of a field. Set up some leveling boards to ensure all was level. Used the smart phone apps for bubble level, true north compass, magnetic north compass. Turned the smart phone off and moved it away from the test table between calibrations. When done, I stood there basking in the pride of a job well done. Then,,, reality hit.
The table was made of wrought iron.

I slowly walked back to the house, and found a mirror. I stood there for several minutes repeating phrases like:
“You’re not that stupid.”
“That didn’t happen.”
“No way did I do that”
“No man, not me. Never.”

It didn’t work. I could tell the guy in the mirror was lying.

Yup, been there. Not this exact experience, but close. Pack for a work trip, bring everything I could possibly need. Drive to the site... about 2 hours away. Get out, walk to the door.? My tag (Which lets you in the door), is sitting on my desk.... two hours away!?. Turn around, meet someone half-way. Thank them profusely. Lose 4 hours work time on this job!

Reactions: WTFDproject
No real worries though... all you have to do is read a story about Trump claiming the noise from wind turbines causing cancer... you'll feel a lot better about yourself... :eek:

Your are a bigger man than I. Even though I have made similar blunders too numerous to count, I would NEVER admit it in public!!:oops:
But thanks for sharing, really. The forum was getting a little dull and I was running out of material for my comedy act!;)

Who else can turn the nightly news into a comedy that hardly anyone wants to miss
3 minutes spent discussing world news 27 minutes discussing how someone was elected and what he did wrong for the day.

Reactions: Docdor and DCH
There was a lot of discussion last couple days of doing compass/accelerometer calibrations. Some new stuff showed up I found intriguing, so I devised a masterful plan to do an “A+” calibration of my beloved Q500.
Took a small table out to the middle of a field. Set up some leveling boards to ensure all was level. Used the smart phone apps for bubble level, true north compass, magnetic north compass. Turned the smart phone off and moved it away from the test table between calibrations. When done, I stood there basking in the pride of a job well done. Then,,, reality hit.

I slowly walked back to the house, and found a mirror. I stood there for several minutes repeating phrases like:
“That didn’t happen.”
“No way did I do that”
“No man, not me. Never.”

You are a big man for admitting that. I've no doubt that all of us have been guilty of some sort of 'wool for brains' actions at some time in our lives...I have. Example: Going to the pub and buying a pint at 14 years old (legal age for buying alcohol in the U.K. is 18) and wondering why I was caught by the police. Maybe it was my school uniform that gave me away.

You are a big man for admitting that. I've no doubt that all of us have been guilty of some sort of 'wool for brains' actions at some time in our lives...I have. Example: Going to the pub and buying a pint at 14 years old (legal age for buying alcohol in the U.K. is 18) and wondering why I was caught by the police. Maybe it was my school uniform that gave me away.

I'm sorry but the strong imagery of The Kinks "Schoolboys in Disgrace" really comes to mind... ?

I used to drive a school bus and one day on my route I thought I was making great time. I was way ahead of where I would normally be and then it hit me, I forgot to pick up the only student on my route. Not exactly a brilliant move.

“That didn’t happen.”
“No way did I do that”
“No man, not me. Never.”

I made a similar blunder by trying to take off the TH from an iron railroad bridge. My observer was also a drone pilot. How could we have not noticed? Almost lost the TH in the river. Managed to crash land it back onto the bridge. Fortunately, no train came by then. I was so anxious to get the waterfall shot that everything else was irrelevant. :-(

I figure I just gotta embrasse my senility at this point 'cause there's one thing I've learned; if it can happen it will happen.

Events last Friday (working about 6 hrs away from home, excited to go home for weekend):

1. Arrive at Job Site 1 shortly after Sub-Contractor 1 had opened up the site.
2. Sub 1 hands me key for site which ultimately belongs in the lock box. Normally this doesn't happen, I got my own key, subs deal with lock box. Regardless, new Sub and I'm feeling gracious 'cause this is my weekend to go home, so I put the key in my pocket.
3. I do what I need to do onsite and head to the lock box to return the key when Sub 2 walks up to me with a question.
4. After some time with Sub 2, I jump in my truck and head to Job Site 2 an hour away but in the direction of home.
5. Take care of Site 2, jump in my truck and point truck towards home (it's about noonish now).
6. 'bout an hour or so into my trip home I get a call. Last sub on Job Site 1 is looking to lock-up but can't find the key. Yes, it's still in my pocket.
7. At that point I think I went to the moon. When I returned fro the moon I was still pissed at Sub 1 for giving me the key to take care of and Sub 2 for distracting me (luckily, they didn't get to hear it). But in the end, it was just me not them, me getting old and me less focused. I didn't get home until about midnight.

Nevertheless, I think this thread/post was a bit cathartic for me and now I'm sure I'll be okay with this getting old stuff, just gotta slow down a bit. And! it gives me an excuse for the stupid crap I do that otherwise I'd have to lie about ;D

Thanks! All y'all are like Oprah ;)

I carried my Typhoon with me when returning to Maine from Florida recently. I was a little apprehensive about the airline carrying it. Followed all the directions. Put the drone in the belly by checking it at the gate. Put the batteries in my carry on just in case of a fire (after depleting the batteries as the TSA directions required).

All went well and I arrived home with no diversions. However, I found on arrival that the standard batteries, of which I had three, would not take a charge and they had been ruined by taking the voltage down to zero.

Don't make my mistake. Yes, it is costly, your plans for flight will take a delay, you will have wasted many hours waiting for the nav lights to go out and you will certainly feel stupid.

I believe TSA requirements are that the batteries be at Storage level and be in a fireproof bag. LiPo batteries should never be taken below 3.0 V per cell (12.0V for our 4S batteries). That 3.0 V per cell is considered the 0% charge, and permanent damage occurs at and below that level.

Here is the link for what is allowed on passenger airlines https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf. For reference our batteries for the TH are 5400mAh/1000*14.8V=79.9Wh.

Last edited:
And to the end result of compliance with airline regulations, I'll happily give an unabashed plug to Aerial Pixel and their TH battery covers... ?

Typhoon H Battery Terminal Covers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval