Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

old topic & sore point for some - waypoints

Reaction score
so from all i have read, never waypoints for the q500, any variation.

so is there a way to replace just 1 or few components to then offer waypoint flights ?

even though obvious from the way q5004k flies, it is intended for stable vids, beginner types and NOT racing a phantom 3/4/etc - safe flight !

but honestly why would the 'intent' of the q500's not allow waypoint route setting ?

i am speculating that it is lack of ram/memory/rom to have enuf f/w space to actually handle waypoints, and of course POI would add more requirements.

thus, does anyone know of actual working mods to upgrade q &/or st10+ to support waypoints (POI optional but would be great) ?

Thx !

Reactions: Riktar
The upgrade is moving to a TH... simply was never on the radar for the Q.

Reactions: DoomMeister

I found these parts for upgrading Q parts that support WayPoints in above vid, if worth the $$/trouble for the user.
(also parts from the H would likely replace the origs as well - might be safest and easiest method)

Parts needed for WayPoints on Q500 4k

- FC SP3 Racing Deluxe Flight controller
- RX Flysky fs-iA6B
- TX Flysky fs-i6S
- GPS M8N
- ESC Littlebee 30a

costs ~$150

He claims he flew a 8km route using waypoints, he does not mention POI.

Honestly if there is rom memory space for the f/w changes/additions, there is little excuse to NOT upgrade the Q500, laziness OR got your $$ so FU !? (lots of support troubles too i suspect-but could make $$ on updating the roms & such ?!)

Parts: (i would imagine diff parts that would work, and may be better or cheaper-did not choose the cheapest, do your own search, ebay likely cheaper)

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Con...=1539836005&sr=8-1&keywords=SP3+Racing+Deluxe

https://www.amazon.com/Tmalltide-Fl...qid=1539835509&sr=8-5&keywords=flysky+fs-ia6b

https://www.amazon.com/Flysky-FS-X6...qid=1539835868&sr=8-16&keywords=Flysky+fs-i6S

https://www.amazon.com/Readytosky-C...e=UTF8&qid=1539836108&sr=8-3&keywords=M8N+gps

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-C...=1539836183&sr=8-3&keywords=Littlebee+30a+esc

Good luck to whoever trys this !

Last edited:
Let us know how it works, if you try it!

so 20min via battery, at 15mph = 15/3= 5miles, 8km= 4mi 1708.906 yds so it is just possible, with just a small amt of reserve if using std batteries !

is this not realistic or possible ?

Try it.. it won't happen.
20 minutes? Not even close with a stock battery.Especially at full power.
Not to mention the lag from the Q at those distances.If I get out over a mile the lag can be as much as 3-4 seconds.
Whatever the guy did, it wasn't with a stock Q.

not stock and likely has a 7500mah battery, and guess what waypoints are not std either !

so waypoints do not give autonomy to a copter ? i thought that the whole point ?

and is 15mph full power ???

You know, I don't recall what the specs are right off hand but it seems the last update gave us like 17mph. I just don't remember. Seems like the number 22mph is in there someplace too.
There's a video out there of a guy who truly flew his DJI 8km to his summer home.
See the video and what it took for him to do it.
It's just not going to happen with the standard setups that most run.
:)

Reactions: 0verload
Why don't you try a few dry runs... one at 1000 ft... one at 2000 feet... see how much battery power is left with each, to try and anticipate depletion rates... or carry on and do it on the fly. :confused:

never said std setup, see orig post, lots of new components, so i guess he is liar like USA potus ?

and yes saw the dji 8km vid, but line of sight too-single vector, whereas MOST/all waypoints are circle, to a,b,c.. & back are they not ?!! mine surely would be !

of course it does imply NOT 8km from controller/Q doesn't it, waypoints are your friend in that sense, and no way std q500 could fly 8km waypoint route.

honestly the whole concept of waypoints is to control the flight and not FU via the pilot screwups, decide where/what/how, then execute and sit back and watch the the FPV, no ?!?????

of course NOT for the $389 rtf q500 w/ 2bat & case i paid for a factory refurb w/ 1yr warranty !!

my first drone, and NOT a real $$ issue but a 'will i use it and keep at it' issues, but i travel a bit and have access to some very lovely areas on west coast of USA, but then am into photography, have several DSLRs, 6 lens, 1 mirrorless and have slowed down on that hobby.

so $$ is issue as in 'how much $$ do you want to waste, you will never get much of it back!!' hobbies you let die, no ?

While I have considered trying to modify the Q500 I have in the same way CrashAlot outlined in his post, it occurred to me that my Q500 would only retain it's "Yuneec-ness" in the frame and motor sense.

Since I have a bunch of older quad parts (Flight Controllers, radios, receivers, etc.) I have been keeping an eye on Ebay listings for a Q500 BNF model that has no camera or transmitter included and "Frankenstein the ****" out of it to see how it would work with my off brand components.

Awhile ago I read somewhere (I can't find the link at the moment) about using an Yuneec receiver (SR24?) to talk to a Pixhawk controller through the DSM port on the Pixhawk. Now if the protocols are the same for all Yuneec (ST10, ST12, ST16 and ST24) radios and IF the same could be done with the receiver the ST10/12 uses then you could retain control of the CGO3 via the ST10 and still have the ability to program the Pixhawk equipped Q500 to fly a way-point mission AND still retain control of the CG03 camera (within range of course) during the flight. The only thing I would need to work out is what "switch" I would sacrifice on the ST10 to enable the autopilot function.

But until I find a sweet deal on another Q500 frame, I am sticking with stock stuff.

Last edited:
I think i did come across only the engines and internals but had new body, no cam, likely from a crash, and it was not too expensive, had a Carbon Fiber body, lighter and likely tougher, but then plastic with ground up CF is a kind of 'ballistic plastic' itself and tough, so a step up in airframe strength.

but this was not my proposal but from the video no one seems to watch, the basis of the orig post.

but if going to Frankenstein the q500, i would try to use parts within the yuneec family or was known compatible, and only H and above parts.

but the real key is that it takes the st16 (new $399) or better to do waypoints, at least in a convenient easier way, as done like H and others.

apparently the st16 has the spare memory to allow the android part to hold maps/POI and data to support the waypoints and NOT the st10+.

so sadly it gets expensive in a hurry if not using spares.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis