Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

one of those days and my first Confrontation but a great picture

Reaction score
flying ground. firstly i found a good spot to take of from but the ground was a bit ruff was a boundary between national trust land and private land ( but a strip of common land )
no building near by and at time of take off not a person in sight, take off first problem my camera is leaning very bad and not leveling, thinking this is due to not being able to move when starting due to the grass and not calibrating its self before takeoff.

i bring it back to land turn off and back on ( this time i have it sat on my case for take off )
everything appears fine until i pan and then i get a very bad jelly affect and leaning at this stage the fun begins there is a shout " your very intrusive" and again " that's very intrusive" as the lady is walking up the hill about 75 feet away from me ( the drone is at 200 feet high ) as she is walking away i take no notice and carry on fly for about 7 to 10 mins max bring it into to land i have achieved what i came for but see the lady approaching as i land ( landing she is a round 75 foot away legal requirement is 50 feet for landing and take off ) when she gets to around 30 foot she starts shouting do you have a permit for that. ps my wife is stood next to me. so i don't wish to have an argument but also don't want to be rude so i say " did i require one ( knowing that i did not ).

next question is "do i have a licence" sorry but now i don't bother to answer ( have to add she is coming across very aggressive ) she then asks for my name and address i apologise to anybody on here who dose not agree but now this is going to far and i am now on the offensive my reply is under what authority do you have to ask for my name and address " i am a member of the local council and we need to now who is flying drones around here in case you are spying or something " ( all will be better when you see the pic )

now i start to play with her and ask "who on earth am i going to be spying on flying here" "well that is a very large drone and what you can see with it and the problems at Gatwick" as soon as the Gatwick word is mentioned that`s its me being nice is all over so i am afraid that i told her ( not in a raised voice or angry voice as i was trying not to laugh to much ) she was very ignorant to what drones are capable off and as far as Gatwick is concerned please prove to me that there was any drones every flying there i then just told here the law for flying drones and asked if i had done anything that was breaking the law.

she continued saying i should not be flying there as the noise of my drone was a disturbance of the peace we did carry on for a bit eventually she asked me what i was doing, so i said i was a hobby drone photo and videographer as this was an ideal spot for me to fly and time of day as nobody was there ( at the time of take off ) ( there was 3 people including her half way into my flight ) she carried on for a bit and left ( i wish i had my sports cam with me ) hope you like the pic The Cerne Giant

(yes i am checking the camera mounts etc )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hueman
Ok.... sorry for your trouble and great on you not to lose your temper, especially with your wife there. There will always be busybodies to whom anyone flying a drone, UAV, rPAS (Canada's designation) is only there to take pictures or video of them, chase their animals or cause damage to their property. That said.... the picture at the end was not what I expected. I have seen that Pictogram on various Geographic shows, similar to the Nazca Lines. Never thought to see it here though.....:oops:

The image is what tends to make me think the original post is not what it portrays itself as.
sort of my point why is this women giving me so much grief when nobody is around and something like a mile from any built up area.
I did not go into the problems with the camera to much as i can use some footage but not all of it and its fixable
But the Cerne giant is a fertility symbol maybe she is not getting enugth and took it out on me

@ChuckBridges sorry should have also made that a bit clearer would not make any difference how a dealt with it whether my wife was there or not but was glad she was as a witness
should of added lots more my wife is a very quite lady would not say boo to a goose she could not believe what just happened but also found it hilarious the way this lady was talking and the things she was coming out with

No need to be sorry just a surprising photo. I was expecting rolling hills and dales... maybe a valley with a river. As for wives, my wife is a little more forceful. Having a witness is really a plus when you are confronted. Has only happened to me once and not as aggressive as you had. My wife was with me, but once I explained I was using the camera on the drone to inspect the roof of my trailer after a long winter, all was well. Being a storage yard he had his stored there as well. I used it to inspect his, the theory being no weight on the roof is better than a 240 lb man. All good after that!

Reactions: thetrecker
When I witness the elderly acting out I take it with a grain of salt. Most of the time I think it’s because they are bored and seek attention. I hope when I get to that point in my life I don’t do the same

When I witness the elderly acting out I take it with a grain of salt. Most of the time I think it’s because they are bored and seek attention. I hope when I get to that point in my life I don’t do the same
oh she was not old 45 maybe younger than me attractive and very posh definitely brought up with a silver spoon in her mouth

• Haha
A lot of people say if you wear a yellow reflective jacket you don't get harassed.
lol yes wearing a yellow reflective jacked then it, he, whom ever must be on official business ( i do have one ) usually find most people look at the H and think that`s not a toy and are interested in what your filming etc etc

I agree, 99% of the time I wear one. Never had any issues/ It makes you look more professional.
If asked who or what I'm doing, I sometimes reply I'm archiving information.
You could also say "Global warming archiving / research"?
And if they ask for who, "It's confidential"?

Reactions: thetrecker
A lot of people say if you wear a yellow reflective jacket you don't get harassed.

I'm used to safety vests for my main career, so it feels normal to wear one when flying. There is something about looking like you are working that tends to fend off a lot of casual annoyances.

I'll add that I get a lot fewer inquires with the H+ over my Phantoms. I think people have gotten the P series into their heads as the problem. The hex copters look like serious business to people.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Oh, from time to time I'll even wear my hard hat along with my safety vest. Some reason people respect hard hats??
This before Ty Pilot designed his tray for the ST16
When you look professional you're taken a lot more seriously.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt