Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Orbit - POI , what's the difference?

Reaction score
I've got the follow/watch me pretty well figured out. Only had a few minutes to try the other day, before the weather got nasty.
Tried the orbit mode, maybe I'm misunderstanding but, isn't it supposed to orbit you as you move?

Orbit/POI do the same thing, circles whatever spot the controller was in when activated.
I would like to try the orbit while I am moving, I think that would give a good perspective and a different take than the usual video.

Tried it with the wizard and 16, same result.

Although both modes do essentially the same thing in having the aircraft circling a point, there's actually a lot of differences. In Orbit the H will circle the St-16 (or Wizard) at a distance established by the operator, generally aiming the camera at the controller. An Orbit flight's circular path can be adjusted in size, speed, and direction while in flight should the operator desire.

POI also causes the H to fly a circular path but that "orbit" can be offset by any distance within range of the system. In POI the H is flown to someplace the operator desires to be the orbit center, with that center point set by pressing a "button" on the screen. The H is then flown away from that center point to a distance the operator wants the H to maintain from the center point. The camera is controlled by the operator, allowing him/her to alter the camera focal point and image subject. Like an Orbit flight, the radius, speed, and direction of a POI flight can be altered while the orbit is being flown. In POI the H does not use the ST-16 or Wizard as the center point, unless the operator sets that as center location in the POI menu.

Reactions: Bullshark and THoff
But in orbit , it does not follow the wizard when I move, still orbits the original location of the wizard. Which in my limited fiddling, did the same as POI, except in POI I could select the center of the orbit instead of it being the 16 or wizard.
Orbit stayed orbiting the original location regardless if the controller moved or not.

Is the H supposed to continue to orbit the controller as it moves?

Good question, and one I cannot answer as I've never used Orbit mode, only POI. Perhaps Steve Carr or someone that has made use of Orbit will chime in.

I have not played with ORBIT in a long time. If memory serves, once initiated, it locks on to the LAST KNOWN position of the ST-16 or Wizard.
Moving the location of either one, the Aircraft will still orbit the last known location.

Reactions: m5zealot
I have not been able to get my H to follow orbit, too bad it's a great follow drone. I have tried multiple times with different firmware and can only get the H to orbit a fixed point.

In my experience Solo is still the best follow orbit drone allowing easy speed, altitude and distance changes.

Halo is a close second followed by the Bebop 2, dji is next to worthless in follow.

Most of this video was shot with Halo and my H and the orbit follow shot's done with Solo.

This video shows how primitive and dangerous following with a DJI drone can be.

Reactions: toothandnail
I have not played with ORBIT in a long time. If memory serves, once initiated, it locks on to the LAST KNOWN position of the ST-16 or Wizard.
Moving the location of either one, the Aircraft will still orbit the last known location.

Thanks, that has been my experience as well.
Kinda disappointing, was hoping it would orbit the wizard.

Both the Wizard and ST16 are equipped with GPS, the Wizard also has a barometer.

The H knows where they are and constantly updates their positions. The H orbits the GPS position of the device when orbit was initiated. A software update could cause the H to orbit the updated position.

The H does use the last known position of the Wizard or ST16 to return too if connection is lost.

Both the Wizard and ST16 are equipped with GPS, the Wizard also has a barometer.

The H knows where they are and constantly updates their positions. The H orbits the GPS position of the device when orbit was initiated. A software update could cause the H to orbit the updated position.

The H does use the last known position of the Wizard or ST16 to return too if connection is lost.
Is there such an update?

That is Correct. Orbit me IMO is really aimed for pilots who like dronies(selfies). It will only orbit the St16 whiles it’s stationary. I have never tried having the H follow and orbit me st the same time.

I've done it. Follow-me plus orbit. This was with the firmware current back in August 2016 and I haven't tried it since, but it worked then.

Reactions: rdonson
I've done it. Follow-me plus orbit. This was with the firmware current back in August 2016 and I haven't tried it since, but it worked then.

That does appear to be working do you remember the settings?

Maybe newer firmware removed this feature.

Well, I finally got around to testing Follow/Watch+Orbit together using latest US firmware (March 2017). I could not get it to work like I did in August 2016. First of all, you need to be in Smart mode for Follow/Watch to work (has it always been that way?). It seems to be automatically in Follow or Watch mode whenever you switch to Smart mode. Anyway, starting Orbit in the Task screen did nothing. Sorry about the delay in responding and the bad news. That used to be a really cool function.

I've got the follow/watch me pretty well figured out. Only had a few minutes to try the other day, before the weather got nasty.
Tried the orbit mode, maybe I'm misunderstanding but, isn't it supposed to orbit you as you move?

Orbit/POI do the same thing, circles whatever spot the controller was in when activated.
I would like to try the orbit while I am moving, I think that would give a good perspective and a different take than the usual video.

Tried it with the wizard and 16, same result.

Hi, here you'll find the best POI video instruction.. Even if they speak italian its easy to follow! Enjoy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcecleaning