Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Over heat CGO3+

Reaction score
Flying lost video upon looking at the camera plastic very hot to the point of melting; and burned up the micro card; any help would be appreciated, cant spent $ 600. for another.
IMG_1081.jpgIMG_1083.jpg

If the gimbal is still working, you are way ahead of most damaged units. Damaged cameras with "good video" are common on eBay. And there are a few repair services around that specialize in CG03 series repair if you can't do the swap yourself.

With that said, it would take pictures of the interior to make much of a guess. The burned card and melted case plastic pretty much promise a burned up WiFi Board, but does not provide any information on what else is damaged.

If you want to look at it yourself, Attachment 2 in the link below will give you a pretty good idea of how to proceed. The attachment is for a CGo3 instead of a CGo3+, but other than an additional heat sink strap, it's pretty much the same.
"Way To Fix Drones project"

Last edited:
I wonder about the history of the drone prior to this damage claim. As this is the first time in over three years I’ve heard of a burned SD card, had the aircraft been crashed at some time prior to this discovery, which might have induced a short circuit?

Not saying anything about original poster, but you do find information trickles out until they come clean and reveal what really happened. It speeds up the help process if the facts are all disclosed pretty much straight away, rather than 2 or 3 pages later.

Alwsys best to identify a cause before implementing a repair. Without addressing the cause we can end up having to perform many repairs.

I'm betting it had previous crash damage. That back cover doesn't touch anything inside but, if something was knocked loose...

the camera plastic very hot to the point of melting
By the way, the odd looking melted area is the rear camera cover melted down over the ribbon that runs between the camera board and WiFi board. If you look really closely, you can still see the letters on the ribbon. The intact letters imply it was not the ribbon that got hot, but more likely heat from the WiFi board. Maybe excessive heat due to a failure of the WiFi Board, or maybe a build up of normal heat from failure of the cooling fan. Just guessing, of course. You will know more if you can get the cover off.
Melt2.jpg

Last edited:
@Dennis Hansen, sorry about the negative comments on your very first post in the forum.
Please be assured that we will attempt to help you find the cause and perhaps a reasonable fix to your camera problem. @WTFDproject is quite good with these cameras and can provide some excellent suggestions. Give him a chance to help you.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Steve,

I wasn’t being negative, just extremely curious as to whether or not there was some new H malady we need to look out for or if the cause could have been related to an earlier event. The latter can eliminate concern for the former.

Looks like something shorted out. It’s very possible the wifi board is the culprit. There is a 4 pin cable that runs between the wifi board and gimbal board. Power is supplied to the wifi board via the gimbal board. This in turn provides power to the processor board which houses the small LED you see on front of the camera ball. I saw this exact same issue once. The wifi board had a couple burn marks below the MAC ID label. It got so hot that it singed two areas of the MAC ID label. It also caused the processor board to short out as well. I never could pin point the exact cause. After I replaced both the wifi and processor board, the camera functioned just fine.

Get it apart, dissect it and post the photos, it will give everyone a better chance of diagnoses, at least it's all replaceable.

I wonder about the history of the drone prior to this damage claim. As this is the first time in over three years I’ve heard of a burned SD card, had the aircraft been crashed at some time prior to this discovery, which might have induced a short circuit?
I purchase the drone new; the camera was a replacement also new and worked correctly for a short period, then went dark, my question Is if I purchased another camera would l get the same results.

Thanks for all of the replies, complete histor; I have been a still photographer for decades; thought l would try video with a drone; purchased it back 2016 new;flew it several times with good results. then with the landing gear up l clipped a branch; fell about 15ft on camera. Ok; learning curve; got parts ;however camera didn’t funcTimon correctly; so l purchase a new camera. Installed it; check for updates and installed and flew everything worked. Done sat 1 to 2 years; brought it out flew it and the camera went dark, camera housing so hot it burned my hand. at This time l have some things to look at; my concern was a power surge coming from the drone would fry another camera.

my concern was a power surge coming from the drone would fry another camera.
I doubt it was a power surge from the drone. The drone has 1 amp fuse in the circuit going to the camera.
I can't tell much, of course, without having the camera in hand. But given the camera operated for a couple of years without a problem, my first guess would be a failure of the WIFI board or the cooling fan.

The choices are rather limited:
You can replace the WIFI board and fan to see if it resolves the problem, but that is a gamble.
Or you can send the camera in for service.

It may be of some help to post pictures of the camera interior. There is a possibility something may show up.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval