Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Parachute for H520

Reaction score
Good morning.
I am looking for a parachute for the Yuneec H520 that is omitted for use on flights over buildings. Does anyone know of any parachute brand that is certified?
Thank you.

[QUOTE = "paolo negroni, publicación: 205635, miembro: 21630"]
Ver en PARACHUTE THREAT
[/CITAR]
Thank you!

Good morning.
I am looking for a parachute for the Yuneec H520 that is omitted for use on flights over buildings. Does anyone know of any parachute brand that is certified?
Thank you.
Just because it's certified, doesn't mean it will save your copter, if it's too low, it will probably crash before deployment.

Before buying anything it would be advisable to look carefully at the regulations of each country. Parachutes, as Mrgs1 says, are only effective from a minimum height. Another factor comes into play, the amount of energy with which the drone reaches the ground depending on the height and weight and which is normally defined in the regulations.

One thing is that the regulations require you to have an energy dissipation system or a safety system to fly depending on which sites or circumstances and other than parachutes (there are other methods) are the solution to every situation. As an example, a net can also comply with regulations although we all understand that it is less viable and more uncomfortable than a parachute.

For this reason, we must first take a good look at the regulations and understand what is asked of us in order to comply with them.

As for parachutes, those that are usually suitable for the Phantom, are valid for the H520 because of the similarity in the weights.

Reactions: ArnauDron
Thank you. Can you recommend any brand?

Several out there... more showing up, but most not yet FAA Certified for crowd waiver yet.
I've explored this a bit... learned a few details along the way, some worthwhile.
Mars & FruityChutes... as well as some that use FruityChutes such as SkyCat are "in process" of obtaining cert.
Both companies have expressed this is a very expensive process, and they are working on it.

ParaZero have obtained theirs, but also keep in mind it has to be a specific Chute to sUAV, not just a box product.
I realized that last component when I was examining the possibility to move a chute system between 2 crafts of same model. I was told it has to be "per sUAV" certified; the chute belongs to 1 craft only.

The Nexus by Indemnis was one of the early to obtain FAA cert... for 1 specific craft.
This one is evolving, it's a very sophisticated system... will deploy extremely quick.
Although, it's line up is currently limited, it's interesting technology to examine.
Not that it matters... but it's the "Best" looking system, actually cool looking.
In my opinion as a small bit operator, this is a very pricey component... exceeding the price of most platforms currently offered. Yes, legal suits & liability have costs... just saying, pricey parachute.

The use of a parachute can also be for other reasons.
1) Personal - desire to not loose or damage craft, 2) Company requirement, 3) Company Insurance requirement.
Several construction companies require a parachute for their own insurance, and currently don't stipulate FAA Certified requirements. They're more interested in liability issues on or near construction site.

On the damage prevention of craft or camera... As @arruntus indicates, size matters! The weight of craft to the size of decent rate of the parachute determines the impact and possible damage to craft. The larger chute will take a little longer and few more feet to fully deploy. The FruitChute / Skycat groups will custom design a system to minimize impact if desired.

The other huge variable is the trigger method. If PIC manually executes, it requires a lot more altitude to successfully deploy compared to an electronic detection trigger.

If not seeking crowd waiver, more for construction site requirements or simply personal desire to prevent damage. You can use the same chute on multiple crafts... of similar weight.

One thing I had forgotten to comment on this subject, I do not really give so much importance but other operators with whom I have spoken yes due to the great weight of their drones. That is, the parachute fabric unfolding system. The two most extended systems are, the first system of impulse with spring and cam driven with a servo and the second system of pyrotechnical impulsion (a small load of gunpowder that drives to the outside the fabric).

The pyrotechnic system is faster (we speak in milliseconds) so some only opt for that system. The one I have is by spring and servo. Luckily it has never acted :D

Thanks for all the clarifications, I am ready to look for all the references you have given me.

I take it the copter is uncontrollable coming down, so could cause an accident drifting into property or persons which might not have happened if it came straight down.

I take it the copter is uncontrollable coming down, so could cause an accident drifting into property or persons which might not have happened if it came straight down.
That's a chance to be taken, nothing is perfect.

That's a chance to be taken, nothing is perfect.
Yes true.
Valuable seconds could be lost in an emergency if you have to kill the power button, possibly looking for a safer place to crash taking into account "where will it land". A rare scenario I know.

In principle this regulation is to preserve damage to persons and not to property. They calculate how many joules maximum the drone must have when it reaches the ground and taking into account the possibility of it falling on top of a person. Therefore the certification is mainly based on that, on the amount of energy with which the object reaches the ground and in case of falling on top of a person, who does not kill him.

When choosing the parachute, we have to take into account the maximum flight weight of our drone, taking into account all possible payloads. We take the data of the highest weight and from there we look for the parachute that adapts to that weight. Then we have to look for the one that adapts to our drone, which is sometimes more difficult :rolleyes:

Better idea is to have all spectators or those in close proximity of drone flights must wear a hard hat, ?

Reactions: arruntus
In principle this regulation is to preserve damage to persons and not to property. They calculate how many joules maximum the drone must have when it reaches the ground and taking into account the possibility of it falling on top of a person. Therefore the certification is mainly based on that, on the amount of energy with which the object reaches the ground and in case of falling on top of a person, who does not kill him.

When choosing the parachute, we have to take into account the maximum flight weight of our drone, taking into account all possible payloads. We take the data of the highest weight and from there we look for the parachute that adapts to that weight. Then we have to look for the one that adapts to our drone, which is sometimes more difficult :rolleyes:
That's correct, and meeting regulations to prevent human harm isn't going to provide you a fully functional UAV... most descend with nose down meaning camera will likely strike ground... damage to camera & gimbal likely.

My "current" need isn't crowd or spectators but construction company requirements and my desire to not loose asset if failure. I normally survey the site with video & grid terrain on a weekend morning when downtown is minimal... introducing an additional variable: Winter temps, lately been 3-18 in morning.

I've chatted with FruityChute since they have such a diverse inventory. I've expressed I'd like to prevent damage to camera & gimbal. He's expressed they've done many with much larger chute(s) to prevent aircraft damage.

Due to the much longer time to deploy on manual... his data easily exceeds double the distance required. They've discontinued the manual deploy system and only offer various forms of auto deploy. You could still "test" by cutting power, the auto deploy would react.

Another point in addition to @arruntus deployment energy to eject the chute. Is the method to reuse... is it a factory return to have them pack the chute or a self-pack chute.

At the current viewpoint and usage, I'd prefer self-packed.

Is there anyone else besides me, that would need to test the system? Making a purchase, mounting, then just understanding "it will work" and how it deploys, impact, drifts etc.

I'd need a self-pack and spring propulsion just so I could test... without camera attached.

Maybe just me, but I'd need to experience it to have faith in it.

Is there anyone else besides me, that would need to test the system? Making a purchase, mounting, then just understanding "it will work" and how it deploys, impact, drifts etc.

I'd need a self-pack and spring propulsion just so I could test... without camera attached.

Maybe just me, but I'd need to experience it to have faith in it.
How does the system sense to deploy? A jolt sudden loss of height? So if you hit something with the copter during an inspection suddenly dropped and restablised with five motor mode say, there's a possibility the parachute would deploy and get tangled in the props? I've seen the copter go pretty crazy before calming down in 5 motor mode, or can you override and stop parachute deploying? Still a lot of things to worry about in a few seconds!

How does the system sense to deploy? A jolt sudden loss of height? So if you hit something with the copter during an inspection suddenly dropped and restablised with five motor mode say, there's a possibility the parachute would deploy and get tangled in the props? I've seen the copter go pretty crazy before calming down in 5 motor mode, or can you override and stop parachute deploying? Still a lot of things to worry about in a few seconds!
From the ones I've examined... I've seen basically 4 auto deploy systems. 1) altitude change: time/distance, 2) Electrical sensor, loss of power, 3) combo altitude baro and electrical, 4) impact / contact or a sudden disruption in flight telemetry... maybe 5) combination of above.

I think I recall some that allow you a variance in a set range of parameters, others are non-user interactive.

In comparison to manual, some auto deploy only required 80 Ft altitude, and manual the minimum was around 220 ft required. A significant difference and part of the FAA cert was it had to be auto deploy.

Your example is a good one... in my opinion it would deploy. So I wonder if in those situations if no human factor, you'd make the call to disarm the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop