Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Peau 3.97 lens install.

Reaction score
Website
www.jcommstudios.com
Just got to test the Peau 3.97 lens Jimmy Oliver with ShadowQuad installed in the CGO3+ on one of my H480's. Used a Yuneec dark UV even though it was overcast. This is a first pass focus but I was impressed with the narrower FOV and the increased focal depth. Still working at getting camera settings and creating an RGB curve for post production for the lens. Needs a little more tweaking but as I said I am impressed! Super hazy day but I see no artifacts or edge blur. Still need to tweak the focus a hair. Next outing will be in full sunlight w/o dark UV. Turns the CGO3+ into a completely different camera! Here are some clips from the maiden flight. Click through to YouTube so you can view at 1080p.

Last edited:
Allowing for what the filter did the results look pretty darn good. Looking forward to the test without filters. Thanks for posting, you might just have breathed new life into an old camera!

Looks fantastic for sure....can anyone point me to details on doing this?

BTW.....I’m curious.....the CGO3+ is a 12mp camera. How did changing the lens make it a 16mp camera?

Looks fantastic for sure....can anyone point me to details on doing this?

BTW.....I’m curious.....the CGO3+ is a 12mp camera. How did changing the lens make it a 16mp camera?
The new lens is 16 mp. The 1/2.3 sensor in the CGO3+ can handle a higher pixel lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCate
I think you sold me on this idea. Gonna have to do it.
@Steve Carr You definatly have the skill to do it yourself. The lens itself is relatively inexpensive at $80. Peau makes it's money at $150 for the install and focus.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I think I already have the lens. Just never installed it.
I bought Jim O. one also to do the install for me. Was cheaper than Peau doing it. He said it took him about an hour and a half. Still overcast here but as soon as we have a day with sunshine I'll go shoot the same area for a comparison.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I did this modification to my H as well. The difference in quality is amazing. Changing the lens is quiet simple. The only critical step is removing the glue on the old mount. The best was is to dissolve the glue with aceton and then carefully scrape it off with a pointy knife or a needle. All the other steps are straight forward.

Readjusting the focus is also a little bit tricky. I found out that it works best when you place the two or three number plates in a distance of 15m and turn the lens until it is focussed. In order to prevent any changes due to vibrations, I placed a tiny drop of epoxi glue on the mount and the thread of the lens.

I think you mixed something up with the MP. The CGO3(+) has 12MP and there is nothing you can do about it. The 16MP on the lens mean that is suitable for cameras up to 16MP without having any losses.

I did this modification to my H as well. The difference in quality is amazing. Changing the lens is quiet simple. The only critical step is removing the glue on the old mount. The best was is to dissolve the glue with aceton and then carefully scrape it off with a pointy knife or a needle. All the other steps are straight forward.

Readjusting the focus is also a little bit tricky. I found out that it works best when you place the two or three number plates in a distance of 15m and turn the lens until it is focussed. In order to prevent any changes due to vibrations, I placed a tiny drop of epoxi glue on the mount and the thread of the lens.

I think you mixed something up with the MP. The CGO3(+) has 12MP and there is nothing you can do about it. The 16MP on the lens mean that is suitable for cameras up to 16MP without having any losses.
@jannislh correct my statement was "The new lens is 16 mp. The 1/2.3 sensor in the CGO3+ can handle a higher pixel lens"

I may get one if it eliminates that stupid purple sunset artifact.
@robport That is somewhat my doing I was experimenting with a LUT that kind of kicked the blue into overdrive. The natural footage actually has a more 5400 kelvin look. (somewhat leaning to a more golden profile).

Getting rid of lens flare is very simple, just don’t shoot into the sun. Most photographers understand that. Many also understand that lenses can have multiple layers of chemical coatings that will affect the appearance of a flare. You can be using Zeiss glass, but shooting directly into the sun can generate flare even with that. It happens with the best rifle scopes too, which is why they make barrel extensions.

If you just have to shoot into the sun, invest in and learn to use filters.

The new lens is 16 mp. The 1/2.3 sensor in the CGO3+ can handle a higher pixel lens.
The number of pixels is a characteristic of the image sensor not the lens. A lens might have the resolving power to take advantage of a higher pixel sensor.

Reactions: otsog
The best camera lenses have multiple lenses in the design. Unfortunately they typically cost more than our drones
.1548861491550.png

The best camera lenses have multiple lenses in the design. Unfortunately they typically cost more than our drones
.View attachment 14085

You brought up a good point. The cost for just the body of cameras that produce the best imagery is more than what is generally paid for a complete consumer drone while a good prime lens will easily add a thousand $ or more to the cost of a camera. Yet many expect to obtain imagery equal to a high end camera and lens from the camera on a consumer drone, with that camera often not much more sophisticated than a general security camera.

The lenses used and available for a CGO-3 are pretty much products designed for use on security and FPV cameras.

You brought up a good point. The cost for just the body of cameras that produce the best imagery is more than what is generally paid for a complete consumer drone while a good prime lens will easily add a thousand $ or more to the cost of a camera. Yet many expect to obtain imagery equal to a high end camera and lens from the camera on a consumer drone, with that camera often not much more sophisticated than a general security camera.

The lenses used and available for a CGO-3 are pretty much products designed for use on security and FPV cameras.
@PatR more like replacement lenses for GoPro but I get your point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss