Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Plus with or without realsense ?

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post. So far i have been flying planes, and small quadcopters.
Im thinking about buying h plus, but im not sure, is it worth paying extra to realsense ?

Depends. If you used what it does a lot, it would be worth it. If you rarely or never used it, it would be a waste of money and s battery drain. The value is completely up to you through the type of flying you plan to do.

Depends. If you used what it does a lot, it would be worth it. If you rarely or never used it, it would be a waste of money and s battery drain. The value is completely up to you through the type of flying you plan to do.
Completely agree with Pat.
Here in the USA we presently have one purchase option for the H+ and that is an H+ with RealSense.
Note that the H+ without RealSense will still have the sonar obstacle avoidance. The sonar OA is intended for large objects (buildings, large tree trunks) . I don't believe sonar OA has the 'intelligence' of RealSense to calculate a path around an obstacle. It also probably does not detect small objects such a bare tree branches. A review of the sonar OA can be watched at

Here is an example of RealSense in action...

Last edited:
I've not seen anything about the RealSense (v2) that's on the H+ with regards to any new features from Yuneec. Looking at Intel's specs online the only thing I can glean is that it should be significantly faster in processing what it sees, creating its "map" and then going over or around the obstacle(s).

I have RealSense (v1) on my H and I rarely use it. It did sufficiently scare the dickens out of me once or twice before I truly understood how it worked.

Personally, I am not for automatisms.
I have never tried obtascle avoidance on the H and H plus, nor auto landing. You have to know how to fly in manual and without GPS, it always serves one day or another.
You know that solar flares can disrupt GPS positioning.
First train without wind, then with a light breeze, recognize the front of his drone is important. But for this it must be able to cut the GPS on the H PLUS, thank you Mr. YUNEEC, I know that it will happen soon.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Can RS avoiding action be up/down as well as left/right? By that I mean if it were about to fly into the Great Wall of China 1 foot below the top, could it hop over or would it try to take a 13,000 mile detour?

Can RS avoiding action be up/down as well as left/right? By that I mean if it were about to fly into the Great Wall of China 1 foot below the top, could it hop over or would it try to take a 13,000 mile detour?
Yes, it can fly up/down to avoid obstacles. And it has additional sensors that looking downside.

Reactions: YuKay
One H pilot in the forum found a caveat on the RS in follow me mode.

He was doing well until he came to a spot in the woods where RS decided it couldn't go left or right and went up... into a higher canopy of trees. No sensors on the top so it didn't know. He was quite shocked as it didn't turn out well for the H.

Reactions: Barton

+1

I am also waiting on the Non RS release (as well as at least one solid FW update)... if I want to spend an extra $300, it'll go into batteries...

One H pilot in the forum found a caveat on the RS in follow me mode.

He was doing well until he came to a spot in the woods where RS decided it couldn't go left or right and went up... into a higher canopy of trees. No sensors on the top so it didn't know. He was quite shocked as it didn't turn out well for the H.
EEK!! That is the scenario I was curious about! :eek: Thanks for the warning.

Again, until we get some actual documentation I think we’re in the dark about how RS actually is supposed to work on the H Plus. It’s not fun for H Plus pilots to fly in the dark.

Again, until we get some actual documentation I think we’re in the dark about how RS actually is supposed to work on the H Plus. It’s not fun for H Plus pilots to fly in the dark.
Hello, the RealSense works just like the "old Typhoon H"

greeting
Fan Tho Mass

Hello, the RealSense works just like the "old Typhoon H"

greeting
Fan Tho Mass

Thanks!

So you have to activate RS in the ST16s just like the ST16?

With the H it really was only designed for “Follow Me” “Watch Me”. Only later we learned about IPS. Still the same?

My 2cts:

where I live (Japan) there is lot of accidents of drones (now 90% of the japanese heritages areas put warning on their entrance concerning DRONES: NO FLIGHT, the others 10% will stop you when you will open the bag to pull out your drone)
in any case the policemen dont know about drone and so when they come you are good to spend 2 hours to show that the area is not "no flight" that you have a pilot licence from government, that you have the agreement from the city, prefecture or whatever!
Anyway, when you pass all those problems :D
and then you speak to responsible of temples and sanctuaries who allows you to shoot, when you show them how goes the real sense in a front of a building, they are impressed and very very confident straight after! for me it is priceless to see them happy and peaceful
(keep in mind they never ever see a drone flying in real, and what they know on TV about drones are quad ones, insecure, and tiny size competitors, for them it is impressive to see a Yuneec with the remote the bag pack etc)

Anyway as others said: dont trust at 100% the real sense, YES it is super helpful, YES it is a kind of copilot which lock the move if you make a mistake or didnt consider an obstacle on the front
but NO it will not secure your flight for YOU at 200%
Also as it is written it is FRONT only ;)

to coming back to the H PLUS and real sense v2, as I dont know for the V1
on the manual of the H PLUS it is clearly described that the real sense uses also the camera to manage the recognition so my question is: how if the camera has angle? does the covering area of the real sense (sonar + real sense + camera is clearly increased? or no)

My 2cts:

to coming back to the H PLUS and real sense v2, as I dont know for the V1
on the manual of the H PLUS it is clearly described that the real sense uses also the camera to manage the recognition so my question is: how if the camera has angle? does the covering area of the real sense (sonar + real sense + camera is clearly increased? or no)
Good question. On the Yuneec website, it states that they use the RealSense R200 sensor. Some additional Google searches turned up this:

The R200 actually has 3 cameras providing RGB (color) and stereoscopic IR to produce depth. With the help of a laser projector, the camera does 3D scanning for scene perception and enhanced photography. The inside range is approximately 0.5-3.5 meters and an outside range up to 10 meters.

Given the poor state of the Yuneec manual, I suspect that any mention of a camera in connection with the RealSense module is referring to the cameras contained in the R200. As you state, a camera pointing backwards has no ability to contribute to RealSense. Sorry, I clearly do not have a good answer to your question.

Reactions: NRHK
hummm not so sure:
the R200 was created on 2015 (so maybe the one installed on the Typhoon older version)
they claim that it is a new intel realsense so maybe:
1/ same hardware but yuneec modded everything inside then it is a R200 totally dopped, they also modified the electronic on the H PLUS so maybe it is possible too
2/ or it is another version of the Rxxx

what is sure the realsense uses the camera, I dont know how but it is connected to. and the manual says so...

in any case the Typhoon H PLUS: the ST16S is clearly upgraded and not in bad way: quicker, the screen is clearly different too: the touch is much better
but I guess greedy in term of battery so for 50$ I advise people to buy one if you need to fly hours and hours without the H+, the ST16s need a spare battery too ;)

Good question. On the Yuneec website, it states that they use the RealSense R200 sensor. Some additional Google searches turned up this:

The R200 actually has 3 cameras providing RGB (color) and stereoscopic IR to produce depth. With the help of a laser projector, the camera does 3D scanning for scene perception and enhanced photography. The inside range is approximately 0.5-3.5 meters and an outside range up to 10 meters.

Given the poor state of the Yuneec manual, I suspect that any mention of a camera in connection with the RealSense module is referring to the cameras contained in the R200. As you state, a camera pointing backwards has no ability to contribute to RealSense. Sorry, I clearly do not have a good answer to your question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss