Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Point-Of-Interest (POI) malfunction

Reaction score
Yuneec Typhoon H drone got out of control using Point-To-Fly function.
When I clicked to start flying around the selected point, it began rotating itself in addition to. Then I canceled the function and my drone go down directly to the earth breaking in parts...!
No sure what happened, maybe someone can help?
See what happened:

Last edited:
Yuneec Typhoon H drone got out of control using Point-To-Fly function.
When I clicked to start flying around the selected point, it began rotating itself in addition to. Then I canceled the function and my drone go down directly to the earth breaking in parts...!
No sure what happened, maybe someone can help?
See what happened:

Looks like you removed
The video

I believe it's, just the last file of fly....

Attachments

• Telemetry_00077.txt
    527.2 KB · Views: 20
Watching the ST16 recorded video it looks for me that could be a lost of signal because images where breaking up. I stayed inside my RV with the ST16 when it happened...

What mode were you flying in?
Can you also upload the matching Remote telemetry file so we can determine the inputs to the ST-16? I’ll take a look at them in the morning when I can get to my computer.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Here's the matching Remote telemetry file

Attachments

• Remote_00077.txt
    168.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks, I will take a look in the morning and let you know what the telemetry has to say.

I was flying in Angle Mode and the Obstacle Avoidance switch in the center position, as I always used to do. Landing gear was down and moved it up just before starting with the POI, as shown in the video.
I followed the process illustrated in the ST16 tutorial screen, marked the point and then move the right joystick to the right. After that, I saw the drone spinning and cancel the POI function. When I cancel it, I lost the control and the drone went down.
Thanks for the reply!

The problem might have been not backing off from the center point thus creating an orbital distance. Therefore the TH was trying to orbit around a point with zero radius to the orbit. Check page 38 in the attached manual for POI usage. (Note that the throttle mentioned on page 39 is actually aileron input on the right stick while in POI mode controlling speed of the orbit).

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-2.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 20
Good deductions!
That could be the problem, yes. But it’s really dangerous and I think that it is an issue that the program must contemplate.

POI without distance leads to excessive yaw movement. Some compass errors while POI is active.
20191113 09:24:48:124 FC switched back to Angle Mode. Voltage starts to drop down from 14,9V (~50% capacity) to 14,5V (~36%). More Compass errors appear.
Yaw movement still ongoing and it starts to go down with 4,9m/s. This rate is too high.

I guess a Vortex ring state taken place at the moment flight controller (FC) tries to stop the turn around. Throttle was neutral all the time, no power to stabilize.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
Good deductions!
That could be the problem, yes. But it’s really dangerous and I think that it is an issue that the program must contemplate.

It is worth noting that ANY tool is dangerous if operated improperly. A simple hammer is capable of great harm and damage if used in the wrong manner. And a flying camera is far more complex than a hammer.
You cannot program out every possible pilot error and still have a flying camera. It is incumbent upon each pilot to understand the characteristics of his craft and the results of his maneuvers.
The best way to learn is by reading AND UNDERSTANDING first. Then begin actual flight in small, slow steps under controlled circumstances, in an area with lots of room for error.

Last edited:
What mode were you flying in?
Can you also upload the matching Remote telemetry file so we can determine the inputs to the ST-16? I’ll take a look awt them in the morning when I can get to my computer.

YOU ROCK with all your help.
Keith Kuhn

@Omarcito, could you please copy the files from the ST-16 again and zip them for upload here instead of changing the extension. I keep getting an invalid dataset in the Q500log2kml program. This is usually a result of the csv files being opened in another program that tags the file (such as Excel).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval