Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Police Drones to stop mass violence?

Nope, just a new target. We really, really don't want government agencies doing this kind of over watch. It's what I did for a living for a long time in far away places. Once it starts it rapidly grows with more and more encroachments on the populations civil liberties, which are never regained.

My view is that I see no real benefit in using uas by law enforcement beyond photogrammetry operations in road traffic accidents and maybe some search and rescue operations. Further, I'm dead against uas being weaponised for law enforcement. That will be the start of a VERY slippery slope that leads to what is often depicted in a number of Hollywood S.F. movies. It is one thing for the military to use drones to take out terrorists and such like, but what is being suggested here is an entirely new can of worms.

Last edited:
Several years ago California came very close to using a weaponized drone to take out an individual that had murdered one or more police officers. A Predator was used to locate and track the individual in the Big Bear area of California. They ended up burning the cabin down with him inside but there were prior discussions over using the capabilities of the drone to handle it.

There are applications where government use of drones, or more appropriately, government employment of civilian commercial operations to handle a job. Fire fighting coordination is one that is working out very well and providing for improved use and efficiency of fire fighting resources.

Drones for assistive operations surveying activities such as mass violence is OK with me but they should never be weaponized except for use by the military in war zones. I agree wholeheartedly with FlushVision.

My view is that I see no real benefit in using uas by law enforcement beyond photogrammetry operations in road traffic accidents and maybe some search and rescue operations. Further, I'm dead against uas being weaponised for law enforcement. That will be the start of a VERY slippery slope that leads to what is often depicted in a number of Hollywood S.F. movies. It is one thing for the military to use drones to take out terrorists and such like, but what is being suggested here is an entirely new can of worms.

I agree 100%, however (at least in the US) law enforcement has always sought to have superiority in all forms over the masses. Weather it is faster police cars, greater communications or heavier firepower, they always get there one way or the other. A friend that I used to ride motorcycles with is a Florida State Trooper. He showed me the new plate reading system installed in these cars. Cameras located at the front and rear as well as the side of the light bars are constantly reading license plates; every license plate, even while moving, within view up to several hundred feet of these Trooper's cars and then the computer automatically run those plates, against a data base of people with unpaid tickets, parole violators, what have you. If it finds someone it will automatically tell the trooper of the offense and even a description of the car and driver.

Here is a report from CBS where police used a Typhoon H to spot stolen construction equipment. This was that offices first official use on ant UAV

I agree 100%, however (at least in the US) law enforcement has always sought to have superiority in all forms over the masses. Weather it is faster police cars, greater communications or heavier firepower, they always get there one way or the other. A friend that I used to ride motorcycles with is a Florida State Trooper. He showed me the new plate reading system installed in these cars. Cameras located at the front and rear as well as the side of the light bars are constantly reading license plates; every license plate, even while moving, within view up to several hundred feet of these Trooper's cars and then the computer automatically run those plates, against a data base of people with unpaid tickets, parole violators, what have you. If it finds someone it will automatically tell the trooper of the offense and even a description of the car and driver.

Here is a report from CBS where police used a Typhoon H to spot stolen construction equipment. This was that offices first official use on ant UAV

I love how the us is utilizing Yuneec drones. Says something about the other company. The military won’t use them. For concerns over security. Looks like yuneec made a good choice to make the 520 it brought the yuneec line of products to the government. Now put some money back in the H. This is is good for us. I have seen 3 police departments use typhoons now.

SLAUGHTERBOTS - What next?? Watching a news program when they aired the attached (highly edited) video clip. As this continues, it won't be long before we are fighting every entity to keep our hobby/work tool/industry alive!!
Keep Killer Robots Science Fiction

I love how the us is utilizing Yuneec drones. Says something about the other company. The military won’t use them. For concerns over security. Looks like yuneec made a good choice to make the 520 it brought the yuneec line of products to the government. Now put some money back in the H. This is is good for us. I have seen 3 police departments use typhoons now.

Yuneec is actually well behind the other company in targeting LEA and the inspection markets. DJI started active demonstrations with LEA’s several years ago, has designed and produced equipment specific to their needs, and has a wide lead over Yuneec in the number of agencies using them.

If you review the equipment requirements of insurance companies employing drones for disaster inspection purposes you’ll fine that only DJI performance parameters fit 100% of those parameters. This is because DJI expended considerable resources in meeting with the stake holders in development of the parameters. An quick example is found in upwards camera tilt. The general requirement is a minimum of 20* above horizontal, which DJI incorporates. Yuneec limited their equipment to 15*. Another is image resolution.

I don't think
Yuneec is actually well behind the other company in targeting LEA and the inspection markets. DJI started active demonstrations with LEA’s several years ago, has designed and produced equipment specific to their needs, and has a wide lead over Yuneec in the number of agencies using them.

If you review the equipment requirements of insurance companies employing drones for disaster inspection purposes you’ll fine that only DJI performance parameters fit 100% of those parameters. This is because DJI expended considerable resources in meeting with the stake holders in development of the parameters. An quick example is found in upwards camera tilt. The general requirement is a minimum of 20* above horizontal, which DJI incorporates. Yuneec limited their equipment to 15*. Another is image resolution.
They may have those specs, but there is a concern over the security, aren't they trying to sue the guy that found a bug in their bug bounty program? Hmm looks like the government doesn't care about those specs you gave, they care about the data that housed in dpi servers and app in particular. A BMW is better than a Ford Explorer or dodge charge, but the law enforcement doesn't care about specs.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece