Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Post Processing Software

Reaction score
So, what software is everyone using to stitch together photos, make 3d renders etc.?What do you like/dislike about the applications you use?

I'm currently using Pix4D Mapper. Its very good, I'm just not enthused about how the mesh renders fine objects like hand rails and power lines. The interface is excellent, and the option to cloud process and host to share deliverables is great. Pix4D's base algorithms are very good, I just think now they need to catch up to some of the other companies by doubling down on quality and ease of use features. AI/automatic detection of GCPs would be great, and better point cloud filtering, editing, and classification export would be helpful.

I used OpenDroneMap / WebODM whilst I was researching and testing out drone surveying. It has great potential, but is a little rough around the edges as its much younger than the competition. WebODM is a web-based gui. Its a great idea, means if your nerdy enough you could set up your own web-facing server. The GCP interface is a little clunky though.

I have also used MapsMadeEasy with fairly good results, but little to no control over the processing quality as per most web platforms. Tried DroneDeploy and results were ok, but was put off by their pricing structure and having to pay for each set of GCPs processed. Precision Flight had good results as well but offered limited precision (ironically) when entering GCP coordinates.

For other desktop software, I tried Agisoft Photoscan Pro. IT was much slower than Pix4D, and the interface made it more difficult to use. Outputs seemed excellent for the limited sample that I did.

Lastly I've heard good things about Capturing Reality. Great quality results with lower processing time than Pix4D, and good offers to trial it for 3 months ($99 if I recall correctly). But no online element, same as PhotoScan.

Reactions: MrMotley
Wow, thanks dsandson! Pretty comprehensive write-up. I've heard people say the quality of Photoscan is better than Pix but that it's slower before, out of interest, what gpu have you got?
I'm currently using Pix4D Mapper. Its very good, I'm just not enthused about how the mesh renders fine objects like hand rails and power lines. The interface is excellent, and the option to cloud process and host to share deliverables is great. Pix4D's base algorithms are very good, I just think now they need to catch up to some of the other companies by doubling down on quality and ease of use features. AI/automatic detection of GCPs would be great, and better point cloud filtering, editing, and classification export would be helpful.

I used OpenDroneMap / WebODM whilst I was researching and testing out drone surveying. It has great potential, but is a little rough around the edges as its much younger than the competition. WebODM is a web-based gui. Its a great idea, means if your nerdy enough you could set up your own web-facing server. The GCP interface is a little clunky though.

I have also used MapsMadeEasy with fairly good results, but little to no control over the processing quality as per most web platforms. Tried DroneDeploy and results were ok, but was put off by their pricing structure and having to pay for each set of GCPs processed. Precision Flight had good results as well but offered limited precision (ironically) when entering GCP coordinates.

For other desktop software, I tried Agisoft Photoscan Pro. IT was much slower than Pix4D, and the interface made it more difficult to use. Outputs seemed excellent for the limited sample that I did.

Lastly I've heard good things about Capturing Reality. Great quality results with lower processing time than Pix4D, and good offers to trial it for 3 months ($99 if I recall correctly). But no online element, same as PhotoScan.

Wow, thanks dsandson! Pretty comprehensive write-up. I've heard people say the quality of Photoscan is better than Pix but that it's slower before, out of interest, what gpu have you got?

I'm running on a HP Omen 15 2018 laptop with hex core i7, plus GTX 1070 MaxQ.

3Dflow lite. Easy to use and cost is very affordable.

Havent heard of that one, will have to look into it.

I use H520 w/E90 with 70 - 85% overlap on both axis at an altitude of no less than 270'. Depending on the complexity of the site I usually re-fly at a 90deg offset. Then I input all data including a minimum of 10 GCP's to 3D Survey. Works flawlessly and is very accurate. (see attached)

IronBridge-10_10.jpg

Thanks very much panthony! Where did you get your gcps?
I use H520 w/E90 with 70 - 85% overlap on both axis at an altitude of no less than 270'. Depending on the complexity of the site I usually re-fly at a 90deg offset. Then I input all data including a minimum of 10 GCP's to 3D Survey. Works flawlessly and is very accurate. (see attached)

View attachment 14330

I made them from Vinyl sign board 1/4" x 24" x 24" with peal & stick black & white floor tile. The numbers are peal & stick decals. See attached...20190207_175315.jpg20190207_175302.jpg

I made them from Vinyl sign board 1/4" x 24" x 24" with peal & stick black & white floor tile. The numbers are peal & stick decals. See attached...View attachment 14333View attachment 14334

It looks good. Mine are 20 inches (50cm) and in red and black instead of black and white. I calculated the dimensions with a maximum ceiling of 120 m and the red color I chose to read a study that said that it is a color that in height can distinguish better than black. The base is made of galvanized steel sheet that after testing them and thinking that the wind wouldn't move them, they weigh a lot all together......:rolleyes: , but they work well :D

I didn't number them because I didn't find the right size stickers, can you indicate where you bought them? or did you ask for them to be made?

Reactions: arruntus
Looks like a good job. I'd agree with Arruntus that staying away from white is better. I have 6 tarpaulin markers for grassy areas, and the boundary between white and black and white is far over exposed. I've seen a medium grey & blue markers from the US, but they're awful dear. Also best staying away from glossy finishes if at all possible.

Really need to make my own, or get a local printers to make a batch up.

Looks like a good job. I'd agree with Arruntus that staying away from white is better. I have 6 tarpaulin markers for grassy areas, and the boundary between white and black and white is far over exposed. I've seen a medium grey & blue markers from the US, but they're awful dear. Also best staying away from glossy finishes if at all possible.

Really need to make my own, or get a local printers to make a batch up.

Thx @panthony, I'll look for something similar or the same link you gave me.

I had it printed in a printing press, vinyl and the piece size that matched me was 1m x 1m. As my pieces were 50 x 50 cm, I created one with 4 pieces (4 squares each) and then when I received it I cut it with the cutter. Matt finish so that the reflections do not influence. I've got 12 targets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech