Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

PowerDirector 16 and Processing Typ H + 4K Video

Reaction score
Hello. I'm pretty new to this forum.

I studied up and decided to purchase the CyberLink video software PowerDirector 16 (the Ultra version.) I've watched what tutorials I can find and have my preferences in PD set as directed for 4K production. I purposely bought a high-end PC with the necessary "stuff" to process 4K and I have a 4K monitor. That said, the preview editing window is stuttering. Something is amiss and I don't know where. I don't know if the software isn't communicating with my PC, vise versa or what. :( Anyone out there using this software that can help me? Meanwhile I'll keep Googling and searching. Thanks!

So I take it you can view the normal 4K videos on your computer no problem? Typically Power Director works best when you make a proxie for the editing, even if 4K works normally playing on something like a window media player. You say you've got the necessary "Stuff" but are you sure? Doing even slight color correction on a 4K video requires a massive amount of computer speed to view real time in a preview window, can you find the processor type and speed as well as the video card and amount of RAM installed?

In the meantime, to see if using a shadow file will help, Click on the "Edit" tab, scroll down to "Preferences" make sure you're on the "General Tab and see if "Shadow Files" is Checked and if not - check it and set the size to about 720.

Also, Click on the File Tab and set the location for your files to be in the same folder as your project. What this will do is for every 4K video you bring into your gallery, PD will make a low res 720 version that you can do all editing and then when you export it write what ever changes you did to the video to the 4K version. For more info google Proxy or Shadow files.

PDhelp.jpg

Reactions: Rubik
Interesting. Right after I posted this thread I found a YT video about this business. I knew about the shadow files and assumed my computer might have the umph to not need them. So I changed to the shadow file feature and it seems to have helped. This url will show you my computer. It's a 1060 NVIDIA. Thanks so much for the quick response and helpful information. I'm a sponge soaking up information here and open to advice.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypo...tate-drive-gray-black/6180825.p?skuId=6180825

Okay, thats a pretty good looking rig. Graphics card is pretty solid as is the processor but the RAM is a Minimum for attempting 4K direct editing, some day you may want to boost that to 32 or more. I have about the same and use the proxies and have no problems and export out of PD in and upload in 4K.

Also notice that when you drag a 4K file into the gallery, it will have a pinkish red icon on the video - let it finish the shadow file and when the icon turns green, you're good to go.

Reactions: rdonson
Okay, thats a pretty good looking rig. Graphics card is pretty solid as is the processor but the RAM is a Minimum for attempting 4K direct editing, some day you may want to boost that to 32 or more. I have about the same and use the proxies and have no problems and export out of PD in and upload in 4K.

Also notice that when you drag a 4K file into the gallery, it will have a pinkish red icon on the video - let it finish the shadow file and when the icon turns green, you're good to go.

I think you're absolutely right. I knew I had the option to put more in and figured that would be the first thing I changed eventually. You're very helpful. Do you have experience with PowerDirector?

Yes, I have been using it for about a year now. Previously I was using the Adobe suite but when they went to subscription I stayed with my old version as long as I could. When I got the Typhoon I needed to find a decent NLE and got PD and am happy with it so far.

Yes, I have been using it for about a year now. Previously I was using the Adobe suite but when they went to subscription I stayed with my old version as long as I could. When I got the Typhoon I needed to find a decent NLE and got PD and am happy with it so far.

YouTube processed a 4K video I successfully made last night, that looks great on my monitor but it came out like crap on YT and I immediately pulled it down. Meanwhile, I posted it on FB and, while it took awhile, it came out looking excellent on FB. What's the deal with YouTube and 4K? Any suggestions there? Also, Vimeo wants money, starting at 7$ a month, to process the large 4K files. The more you want to share there, the more you have to pay, on an annual basis and there's a limit to how much you can share in one week's time.

Editors like PD have presets for rendering that are typically rubbish. I wrote a detailed description on how I output from PD so rather than repeat let me point you to that thread. On page 17 - post 339 of the thread about C23 video I show the specs for the Best Youtube settings and on page 18 I show a screen shot of my settings in PD. This LINK will take you to age 17 just scroll down to post #339

Here is an example of my video out of PD.

EDIT: Please note that my link above, if clicked will actually take to you to a Page 17;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson
Editors like PD have presets for rendering that are typically rubbish. I wrote a detailed description on how I output from PD so rather than repeat let me point you to that thread. On page 17 - post 339 of the thread about C23 video I show the specs for the Best Youtube settings and on page 18 I show a screen shot of my settings in PD. This LINK will take you to age 17 just scroll down to post #339

Thanks very much.

[QUOTE="This LINK will take you to age 17 just scroll down to post #339[/QUOTE]

WOW, I can go back to when I was 17! Just by clicking the link!?!? Will I lose all my "experience points" I have racked up over the last 53 years? :p :D

EDIT: Please note that my link above, if clicked will actually take to you to a Page 17;)

So are PD 4K MP4 vids not rendered (by Producer) in a "streamable format" (whatever that means?) YouTube says mine is not. I find that odd. Once my vid is rendered on YT, do I need to go into the gear settings under the video and make sure it's on the Full HD? I assumed it would play at that setting automatically and perhaps I need to set it manually. Also, it used to be, a few years ago, that HD vids in 60 fps wouldn't play (in YT). I'm guessing they've fixed that issue. Speaking of this subject. Isn't a higher frame rate a better option, especially if you want to slow down or speed up sections in processing? Thoughts?

Thanks very much.

I decided to re-upload the same video (I've been talking about) to YouTube and lo and behold it came out fine. I don't know what happened to the first effort. I guess that negates a need to respond to my last reply, though I'm still curious as to the 30 fps vs 60 fps question.

So are PD 4K MP4 vids not rendered (by Producer) in a "streamable format" (whatever that means?) YouTube says mine is not. I find that odd. Once my vid is rendered on YT, do I need to go into the gear settings under the video and make sure it's on the Full HD? I assumed it would play at that setting automatically and perhaps I need to set it manually. Also, it used to be, a few years ago, that HD vids in 60 fps wouldn't play (in YT). I'm guessing they've fixed that issue. Speaking of this subject. Isn't a higher frame rate a better option, especially if you want to slow down or speed up sections in processing? Thoughts?

Regarding the streamable format, disregard because you are uploading a produced video. When a 4K video is uploaded, it will take some time after it is available in the lower resolutions to see the full 4K render so just give it time. The first video you rendered out (then removed) was half the size going up to YT and then they reduced it further. If you followed my exporting advice for this new video, that file was as large or larger than the original video and when youtube does their compression it will have been about the same size as what you first saw.

High frames rates were originally created for slow-motion playback. A video shot at 60 FPS and interpreted at 30 FPS would have a slow motion that was incredibly sharp. Over the years and ever since the dropping of interlaced frames in favor of progressive, some use the extra frames as a means of providing extra detail and sharpness within a video in which there is movement - either from the camera or from a subject being filmed.

FPS in modern cameras is a bit of an empirical bench mark, its like saying 'I can lift this much weight' but its what you can do with it that matters and there is no 'one size fits all' remedy for all video or film in this regard.

High frames rates were originally created for slow-motion playback. A video shot at 60 FPS and interpreted at 30 FPS would have a slow motion that was incredibly sharp. Over the years and ever since the dropping of interlaced frames in favor of progressive, some use the extra frames as a means of providing extra detail and sharpness within a video in which there is movement - either from the camera or from a subject being filmed.

FPS in modern cameras is a bit of an empirical bench mark, its like saying 'I can lift this much weight' but its what you can do with it that matters and there is no 'one size fits all' remedy for all video or film in this regard.

I appreciate your timely and educational responses. Most helpful. Thank you. Perhaps I'll share my video on the page specified for Typhoon H Plus photos and vids.

I have also had good success with PowerDirector. I use the XAVC-S profile for producing 60fps videos. It creates .mp4 files and YouTube handles them perfectly.

@Ty Pilot So, I am using Davinci Resolve. So many settings and such a learning curve. Questions : are you shooting 'Original' and do you have effective basic LUT or processing parameters with PD? I do have V14 of it, and can 'upgrade' for a small price. I am essentially looking for an approach to shoot original format, and get excellent rendered output. The editing and content are up to me :) Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace