Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pre Fail Mode Q500+

Reaction score
I'm pretty bummed out. Yesterday I drove miles into the back country including 1 mile of steep, rough 4WD trail, then carried my Q500+ another ¼ mile thru fairly heavy brush to a clearing at the base of a small mountain with an ancient Indian lookout post on the top. Thought that'd make a neat, unusual video.

Got everything set up and motors wouldn't start. Red light under tail was blinking and it was giving an audible 2 note warning. Out in bright sunlight it was difficult to see the screen but I eventually made it out to be in Pre-Fail mode; GPS disabled. Fussed with menus and got GPS turned on. Go back to flight screen and GPS disabled again. Did this several times with no joy. So, came home., saying very bad words the whole way.

Online, it appears that this would likely be caused by the GUI connector in battery comp't being unplugged. After the big crash and repair a couple of months ago, I flew it here at home a couple of times and it seemed fine. Been too windy since.

OK, hooked the plug out of there and pulled it out to where I could see it. Plug was solidly connected. Pulled it apart to see if maybe I'd plugged it upside down. (what a miserable, awkward, b.s. way to build something) Nope, goes 1 way only. Everything seemed fine. Maybe connectors needed cleaning ?? Powered up the Q500+ and controller in house and it connected up fine and was searching for GPS......and had already found 5 satellites. Looked good so shut it down.

This morning, was thinking about going back out there, so took it to front yard and powered it up. Whoops - Pre-fail mode again and GPS disabled. Pulled battery out and checked GUI connector and it's tight and solid.

Now what ?? I hope some one has run into this before. Thanks.

It's possible that at some point the battery may have put enough friction on the wires to pull them loose somewhere further inside the Q. It can happen when the battery is inserted if the wires aren't completely hidden.Later model Q's were equipped with a jumper cable setup so the GUI plug was exposed next to the battery door.

Perhaps this arrangement seems archaic but you have to remember the Q500 was release 2-1/2 years ago. In the drone world that is like 25 years. The Q is has survived and flourished in a market that often sees drones last just a few months. They are still bought and sold regularly and there is a good market for them. I have sold 3 of my older Q's in the past month. My Phantom 2 of the same vintage sits in the corner with no hope of finding a new owner.

Bottom line........it's worth finding the problem and fixing it.

Last edited:
Problem solved. I opened it up a couple of weeks ago to install the new antenna brackets and found:

0N8808j_zpswfwbzbap.jpg

After repairing it, I carefully checked the other connections for any broken strands. All looks good and the Q flies fine.

Problem solved. I opened it up a couple of weeks ago to install the new antenna brackets and found:
After repairing it, I carefully checked the other connections for any broken strands. All looks good and the Q flies fine.
Fantastic. Glad you found the problem and got it fixed. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval