Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Preventing the Dreaded Toilet Bowl Effect?

Reaction score
Should I be calibrating my compass before every single flight in order to prevent the so-called toilet bowl effect? I know you should recalibrate if you are flying more than 50 miles from where you normally fly, but I've had the issue where my Typhoon H flies in circles in the air without me touching the sticks in most of my flights lately, rather than holding steady in the air like it should be. I usually fly in different locations throughout my town, but all of my spots are within 2 miles of each other or so. Any tips? What could be the issue? Could part of the issue be that I'm flying in the middle of town where there's trees/wires/etc in the area?

I rarely calibrate the compass. It shouldn't be needed unless you travel a very long distance.
How many satellites do you see listed prior to lift off?
Do you see any flashes of orange on the status light while flying?
Does the problem get worse as you descend and improve when you climb?

Should I be calibrating my compass before every single flight in order to prevent the so-called toilet bowl effect? I know you should recalibrate if you are flying more than 50 miles from where you normally fly, but I've had the issue where my Typhoon H flies in circles in the air without me touching the sticks in most of my flights lately, rather than holding steady in the air like it should be. I usually fly in different locations throughout my town, but all of my spots are within 2 miles of each other or so. Any tips? What could be the issue? Could part of the issue be that I'm flying in the middle of town where there's trees/wires/etc in the area?
No. You shouldn't need to calibrate the compass before each flight. If, as you say, "...Typhoon H flies in circles in the air without me touching the sticks in most of my flights lately, rather than holding steady in the air like it should be", then something is influencing your aircraft to behave in that way, since in normal practice you should only need to calibrate compass if moving several miles (generally) in an East or West direction, or after a firmware update, or if your aircraft is acting strangely. However, I note that you say that your aircraft does act strangely (toilet bowl) so that ticks the requirement to calibrate compass! This 'catch 22' then is your problem...

If the only way you are able to have a steady flight without toilet bowl is to calibrate the compass, then you must look for influences: Is the compass working as it should? Is there anything nearby that could effect compass operation (buildings or metal things including anything under ground)? Kp index? (though if that is going to effect your flight (if at all) that will more likely be a GPS issue). Closeness to the ground (prop wash).

It's a question of elimination. First things to do is look at the hardware monitor to ensure your controls are operating as they should. Look at your telemetry: If you can't understand telemetry then upload it here and one of us will take a look, or install UAV Toolbox.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
If you're around different type of metals, this will affect stability. You mentioned different parts of town, tell us what the surrounding area is like?
I presume you are flying and landing in Angle Mode?
When you initially take off does it hold a stationary position?
As mentioned above go to hardware monitor and check your stick controls.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I have only calibrated my compass once. I traveled to a site 120 miles south of my home Saturday and experienced no problems. I reviewed how to do it just in case but it was unnecessary. I've had my H since last September and I haven't needed to calculate anything since the first time and I have flown it many times.

In my most recent flight, I was flying in angle mode. The drone was steady for a majority of the flight, up until right at the end when it starting doing circles. This particular flight I was flying on an empty baseball field... Fences, lights, trees, etc. in the area. Seemed to do the same thing whether I ascended or descended.

I apologize for the bunch of questions that follow.

To repeat @Steve Carr 's question:

- was this your first flight that day from this location?
- when you started the flight how many satellites were acquired by the TH480 and how many did you see on the ST16 before you began the flight?
- did you notice how may satellites you had when you when the toilet bowl effect was noticed?
- was it a hot day?
- did you look at the UAVForecast app to see what the Kp was that day?

Yes, tall fences, athletic lighting on fields, electric wires, large metal buildings nearby may have an effect.

Let's start though by eliminating as many things as we can before we jump to any conclusions.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I apologize for the bunch of questions that follow.

To repeat @Steve Carr 's question:

- was this your first flight that day from this location?
- when you started the flight how many satellites were acquired by the TH480 and how many did you see on the ST16 before you began the flight?
- did you notice how may satellites you had when you when the toilet bowl effect was noticed?
- was it a hot day?
- did you look at the UAVForecast app to see what the Kp was that day?

Yes, tall fences, athletic lighting on fields, electric wires, large metal buildings nearby may have an effect.

Let's start though by eliminating as many things as we can before we jump to any conclusions.

-Yes first flight from that location
-Around 11-13 satellites if I remember correctly
-It was about 60 degrees out
-Didn't know that there was an app for that lol

I flew it again last night in a different location, an open grassy area in town with trees on the edge of it, no toilet bowl effect.

# of satellites are ok, others folks want more, to each his own.
I've been out many times when Kp is 9.
Before your first toilet bowl dilemma, when did you fly last? (how many days between flights)?
I'm not stating none of the above could not cause this, and having 5,280 minutes there were only a few instances. Being to close to an iron entrance gate, under a open bay metal building with metal roof and next to and flying 5 feet above train tracks.

Last edited:
Before your first toilet bowl dilemma, when did you fly last? (how many days between flights)?
I'm not stating none of the above could not cause this, and having 5,280 minutes there were only a few instances. Being to close to an iron entrance gate, under a open bay metal building with metal roof and next to and flying 5 feet above train tracks.

2 or 3 days.

2 or 3 days.
GPS almanac would have been reasonably fine, then.

Your satellites count is fairly ok but I, personally wouldn't take off with only 11-13 satellites but, as AH-1G says: Each to their own. I look to be having at least 16 satellites to be happy (and usually get 19 or 20 if there's no obstructions around).

A high Kp value, if it is gonna affect your aircraft at all, will most likely affect GPS rather than compass.

AH-1G, there is no KP9, 5 is the max value.. If you fly at max KP you are in the wrong way! BTW, don't fly with less than 12sats and take into consideration that we talk about Est sats locked, not Visible sats. Important. Pls look at that:

and that:

Last edited:
AH-1G, there is no KP9, 5 is the max value.. If you fly at max KP you are in the wrong way! BTW, don't fly with less than 12sats and take into consideration that we talk about Est sats locked, not Visible sats. Important. Pls look at that:

and that:
Photo there you go again, not knowing what you're talking about

and that:
Kp values range from 0 to 9. It is the G activity that ranges from 0 to 5.

0 to 3 indicates 'settled G0'. 4 indicates 'unsettled', 5 indicates 'Minor Storm G1', 6 and 7 indicates 'major storm G2-G3', 7.66 up to but not including 9 indicates 'severe storm G4', and 9 indicates space Armageddon at G5.

I believe @AH-1G was referring to the Kp index values that ranges from 0 to 9...not the G activity.

Photo there you go again, not knowing what you're talking about

Ok, AH-1G.. what is it you don't understand with Sats Locked or Sats Position Dilution of Precision? The drone can some times "see" GPS-satellites but not connect to them. If you don't belive me - read the two links / info I provided. Or ask someone else in the forum... :) This knowledge is 100% important when you want to fly a drone - safe - without toilet bowl. A "H" is not a toy.

Ok, AH-1G.. what is it you don't understand with Sats Locked or Sats Position Dilution of Precision? The drone can some times "see" GPS-satellites but not connect to them. If you don't belive me - read the two links / info I provided. Or ask someone else in the forum... :) This knowledge is 100% important when you want to fly a drone - safe - without toilet bowl. A "H" is not a toy.
We've gone through this before, you have you ways I have mine. Mine works while I have 9 satellites.
Gezzzz,???????????

Last edited:
We've gone through this before, you have you ways I have mine. Mine works while I have 9 satellites.
Gezzzz,??????????? take a pill!
No problems AH-1G, you are free to fly with 9 sats, visible or locked. We are here only to help and advice ea when other dronepilots ask for our support and view.
You wrote: "Mine works while I have 9 satellites" ... Big risc for trouble...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss