Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Props wearing out?

Reaction score
I've noticed that the propellers in my H have quite a bit of play. For some reason, the "A" props (black) noticeably more than the 'B' props. The most loose one probably turns around 5° freely around the spindle.

I don't think this affects flight - the motor torque must keep them tightly against the spindles - but since new propeller blades sit quite tight on the same spindles, something must be wearing down. Are you supposed to replace these at some point as a preventive measure, even if they don't show any other damage?

I haven't seen anything that specifically suggests changing these as a matter of course when they don't show signs of damage... but I have seen photos where the blades look fine but the underside plate is totally mashed up from rough handling. I don't think I'd be happy with 5 degrees of play there, so would probably count that as damage and replace any where that was the case... props are things you don't want to take any chances with. How long have you had the H ?

Check to see if the play is in the specific prop, or possibly in the prop quick-disconnect lock... at least the locks are inexpensive at $4 a pop. Either way IMHO, I'd replace immediately.

Prop Lock A

Prop Lock B

Those that repeatedly remove and install their props experience more wear at the quick change adapter than those that leave their props installed. If you have experienced a lot of damage with your prop adapters you should replace them. They will eventually depart the motor in flight.

Thanks for the insights. I've had this H for 14 months, mostly fly in the weekends and pack it in the car meanwhile, so I'd guess the props have been on & off maybe 50 times.

I'll probably order a full set of new spindle locks and props, and just replace them all during the winter break.

My Typhoon H is 2 months old and i ve about 60 flights with it. I noticed the same with "black props" from the 10th flight. I changed the black with new and same happen again after 15 flight. Not bothered to change them again. As long as they secure in place you r good.
I ve seen somewhere in this forum a guy put some o-rig (the ones that used in some atomizer for electric cigarette) inside the hole of the propellers.

jason post: 151519 said:
Yuneec recommends you replace the Props after every 20 flights
Ofcourse Yuneec recommend to buy new props often, its their business! Every 20 flights are just crazy! I have at least 60-65 flights with NO play at all. I have taken off/on the props three times.

Both my H’s have several hundred flights on them and like Photo the props have been on and off about 3 times over couple years. The mounting adapters are still like new. The wear that occurs with the H prop adapters is generated by people re-installing them haphazardly over and over.

Reactions: biltno
I also leave my props on unless I'm travelling some distance. I've got 30 props for my 480 and the same for my 920. My assumption is that the props wear out from taking them off but also from changing directions abruptly (reversing in flight). All of my props have wear and give. I had so much play in one that I thought the motor was bad. If I hand rotated the rotor it sounded like the motor was grinding. It's the stops on the motor and the play in the prop that was causing the noise. Went away with new props.

It is hard to know when to replace props and puffy/old batteries.

I haven't had any issues.
I have over 275 flights and I do take my props off when I'm finished flying that day.
Nothing is loose, and I've only bought one extra set of blades. Purchased my H 04/2016

Last edited:
I also leave my props on unless I'm travelling some distance. I've got 30 props for my 480 and the same for my 920. My assumption is that the props wear out from taking them off but also from changing directions abruptly (reversing in flight). All of my props have wear and give. I had so much play in one that I thought the motor was bad. If I hand rotated the rotor it sounded like the motor was grinding. It's the stops on the motor and the play in the prop that was causing the noise. Went away with new props.

It is hard to know when to replace props and puffy/old batteries.

The prop hub running wear is more applicable to the 920 as the mechanism is different from the H and the larger props generate considerably more force on the mounting hub. The H does generate some in flight wear but not very much compared to the 920. As you say, it's hard to establish exactly when prop adapters should be changed but if we experience any "wobble" in the vertical plane it's certainly time to change. What will help extend the life of the adapters is to use a little care in prop installation. Instead of trying to cram a prop on a motor by twisting the prop around until it finally seats on the mount, take a moment to look at the mount and the adapter to position align them first.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues.
I have over 275 flights and I do take my props off when I'm finished flying that day.
Nothing is loose, and I've only bought one extra set of blades. Purchased my H 04/2016
Same here. I always take my props off when i'm done flying and have been using my H since early June 2016. Still using the original props and they are not showing any signs of wear.

Must be the Minnesnota cold as all my props have play.

I agrre with @PatR, care must be taken when removing and / or attaching the props.
I keep my props separate in a zip lock bag along with my SD cards. :rolleyes:

The Yuneec maintenance manual recommends changing the props every 20 flights, considering each flight lasts approximately 1 hour each.

If Yuneec have a genuine reason to ask you to change props after 20 flights, that's quite worrying, and I think I'd be considering that a design flaw. But after 100 flights on my H I see no signs of wear at all, despite props being removed every session, so perhaps they are just trying to sell more props !

The Yuneec maintenance manual recommends changing the props every 20 flights, considering each flight lasts approximately 1 hour each.

Yuneec will tell you to only buy Yuneec batteries, too. Anything using props good for only 20 flights is not something I would own as replacing the props every week gets expensive very quickly. The 20 flight replacement cycle recommendation is simply a cash cow for the manufacturer. BTW, that 20 flight replacement cycle was provided for the 520.

I've noticed that the propellers in my H have quite a bit of play. For some reason, the "A" props (black) noticeably more than the 'B' props. The most loose one probably turns around 5° freely around the spindle.

I don't think this affects flight - the motor torque must keep them tightly against the spindles - but since new propeller blades sit quite tight on the same spindles, something must be wearing down. Are you supposed to replace these at some point as a preventive measure, even if they don't show any other damage?

Tournedos,
Replace the bad props. Don't risk a fail. I question the props quality - are they Yuneec original equipment (OEM) brand or aftermarket (knockoffs)? I broke 2 aftermarket props in-flight (each on separate flights). This caught my attention so I threw away all non-OEM blades. There was incidentally a huge strength difference between them as well. Non-OEM blades, although cheaper, were much more flexible and wimpy by comparison. Yuneec was superior in strength.
Hope that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval