Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Props

Reaction score
Can you interchange the 480 props and the H +? Do the + props have less pitch than the 480?

Short answer is; they have the same hub configuration so you could physically attach either prop to either drone BUT you cannot/should not run them on the different platform either way. The Plus Props have a larger diameter, larger chord width and are pitched higher and thus would strain a 480 motor; not to mention upon start up would impact the adjacent propellers. By the same token, a 480 prop would not properly load a Plus motor and an over-speed condition could cause damage to either the motors or ESCs.

Short answer is; they have the same hub configuration so you could physically attach either prop to either drone BUT you cannot/should not run them on the different platform either way. The Plus Props have a larger diameter, larger chord width and are pitched higher and thus would strain a 480 motor; not to mention upon start up would impact the adjacent propellers. By the same token, a 480 prop would not properly load a Plus motor and an over-speed condition could cause damage to either the motors or ESCs.
My questions were more so to determine why the + is so much quieter than the 480. I assumed it was because of pitch. Are the motors on the + also helping to make it quieter? I'm assuming the + has a slower speed because of the pitch on the props.

\
Do you know how much longer the + props are compared to the 480? Would the props from the + physically hit each other when placed on the 480? Did Adam have a navel?

Reactions: Racepro60
The majority of propeller noise typically is from tip speed. The Plus props' increased diameter; if ran at the same speed as the 480 would be louder due to the extra legth so; they designed them with a higher pitch and broader chord to produce more lift at lower, RPMs and thus, quieter speeds.

The Plus swings a 9.85" Diameter Propeller while the 480 is 9.125" I did not drag out a pitch gauge but the Plus has a noticeably higher pitch and if I had to guess I would say The Plus has around 5 inches of pitch and the 480 is more like 4".

Yes Plus props on a 480 will hit each other

Don't Know;)

Reactions: thoneter
So to beat a dead horse which I like to do, does higher pitch mean more bite or less? I'm assuming more and less RPM's. If so what is the downside?

More bit, more stress on the motors. they'll be hotter after the flight.

So to beat a dead horse which I like to do, does higher pitch mean more bite or less? I'm assuming more and less RPM's. If so what is the downside?

You got it.

More bite. There is no down side 'necessarily' but as you are correctly surmising, there must be a corresponding trade-off, or payment for the benefit and herein lies the reason for the larger motors and the use of the higher voltage LiHv batteries which; yield only slightly longer flight times. So basically the plus has more power, to turn bigger motors and bigger props, at lower speeds for the benefit of quieter operation.

Yuneec also says the ESC's were resigned compared the the 520. They have higher capacity and are digital which they claim makes the Plus run more quietly.

So they increased load rating a little and actually timed the ESC’s to the motor pole count this time?

So they increased load rating a little and actually timed the ESC’s to the motor pole count this time?
Is timing the motor pole count what makes the ESC's digital or is it like a clock or analogue/digital recordings?

A question I don’t have an answer for. I’ll surmise a digital ESC would be faster with signal pulse and provide a greater degree of accuracy. If a well designed sensing algorithm was built in that could auto time an ESC to pole count and current loading. To do that would infer Yuneec got deep into the weeds with their design criteria. Yuneec is pretty topical...

Timing an ESC is an easy thing to do but you have to expend a little effort to do it.

A question I don’t have an answer for. I’ll surmise a digital ESC would be faster with signal pulse and provide a greater degree of accuracy. If a well designed sensing algorithm was built in that could auto time an ESC to pole count and current loading. To do that would infer Yuneec got deep into the weeds with their design criteria. Yuneec is pretty topical...

Timing an ESC is an easy thing to do but you have to expend a little effort to do it.
Exactly what I was going to say, but PatR be me to it. Kudo's Pat

Am I right in that it's like step motors and they can time the motors digitally instead of analogue?

Inasmuch as both employ motors having multiple poles that can be timed to receive electrical impulses to establish a type of function I’d think they are similar. It may well be they share more similarities as brushless motors are what move and hold our gimbals in position. My comprehension of stepper motors is extremely limited though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430