Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Puffy Typhoon H - Is It Ready for The Battery Trash Bin

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been flying my typhoon H for about 1year 3 batteries 2 Yuneec and one ultrax. 1 Yuneec battery got puffy a few months after receiving the unit. The last time I flew it was about 100 degrees in the northeast and the battery seemed to get puffier. I have not had any issues with that battery all cells read fine. Is it ready for the battery Trash Bin?

What does the cell balance and IR levels tell you? A puffy battery is one on its way out. When you can discern the inflation be aware it’s much worse than it appears as the outer heat shrink wrapper is constraining the battery considerably.

Anyone choosing to remove the outer wrapper from a puffed battery will observe an immediate expansion of the cells as the wrapper is removed.

Reactions: AJan
Well, the battery has functioned normally as far as time approx 18 to 20 minutes flight time. The battery takes a balance charge all cells right now read fully charged. I am afraid it's going to burst I guess that is what my fear is right now.

Last edited:
Well, the battery has functioned normally as far as time approx 18 to 20 minutes flight time. The battery takes a balance charge all cells right now read fully charged. I am afraid it's going to burst I guess that is what my fear is right now.
@metropolis Any puffing is a sign you should retire the battery. Check the top and bottom and see if it is getting scratched from installing and removing it. If there are scratches you risk tearing the cover and could end up with an in flight fire.

Last edited:
@jcommstudios thanks for weighting in that's what I am afraid of I hate to toss a $100.00 battery but I think I this point I'm concerned about something like that happening

Can you post a photo showing all three batteries? Does the battery still slide in and out of the battery compartment easily? Can you measure voltage and IR of each cell?

I have a Yuneec OEM right in front of me comparing the two based on your pic, yours is looking bad!

Agree it's also gotten a little worse since the last flight when it was very hot outside it also looks like it's starting to rub slightly on something inside the typhoon h on the plastic cover of the battery I guess better safe than sorry I just dropped it off at Best Buy battery recycle center that sets me back to two batteries need at least three thanks for checking in guys just wanted to get some other opinions

You'll be better off not keeping your batteries charged fully for long periods. Before buying another battery, use the money to buy a 3rd party charger, even an EV Peak DY3 at least can storage voltage your batteries.. At least give your remaining batteries some TLC and hopefully a longer lifespan.

Reactions: AH-1G
Good point. Actually, i did just get a 3rd party charger but I have not done and discharge to storage voltage yet any idea what the storage voltage should be on the typhoon batteries?

1) Do not use that puffed battery any further. Do not try to charge or discharge it. Follow recommended procedures for disposing of it safely. Take the battery and place it in a salt water bath for about 3 days.

A standard 1/2 gallon milk container is an ideal size that will fully immerse the battery. Cut off top of container about an inch above where the handle starts. Fill the container with warm water and add about a half cup of salt. Stir to dissolve the salt and immerse the battery for about 3 days. Check voltage with a standard voltmeter. If voltage reads as 0.0 V, that battery can be safely disposed of, in the trash.

2) Please start your battery education with this thread:

LiPo Battery Care

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaedrus
Thanks. I mentioned in the thread that I took the battery to best buy recycle battery bin to have it disposed of.

The people at Best Buy are clueless, regarding LiPo disposal. They can handle Li-Ion, but they should not be relied on, to know the safety procedures specific to LiPos. The personnel there would not even be able to distinguish between the two.

Reactions: PatR
Good point. Actually, i did just get a 3rd party charger but I have not done and discharge to storage voltage yet any idea what the storage voltage should be on the typhoon batteries?
Store at 50%. That would be about 3.81 per cell or 15.24v total.
Purchase a DY3 through Amazon, it's worth it!
You can charge, discharge and put your battery in storage. After every flight I put my batteries in storage.

Reactions: jcommstudios
@AH-1G great I have another charger that has the storage capability I'll try that first i just hope it works.

Are any of you using 3rd party batteries any recommendations? I have 1 Yuneec and 1 Ultrax I tend to get a few more minutes from the Ultrax?

Agree it's also gotten a little worse since the last flight when it was very hot outside it also looks like it's starting to rub slightly on something inside the typhoon h on the plastic cover of the battery I guess better safe than sorry I just dropped it off at Best Buy battery recycle center that sets me back to two batteries need at least three thanks for checking in guys just wanted to get some other opinions

Yep better safe than sorry.

Reactions: metropolis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss