Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Purple light flashes 3x then off even tho transmitter screen shows satellites acquired.

Reaction score
Recently had a prop failure from 50' up after overtightening of the prop. It took me a while to order the replacement parts and to repair the craft. Now when I turn it on and try to calibrate it, I no longer get the solid purple light showing that it has GPS lock. The transmitter shows that the tx has acquired 12 satellites while the screen also shows that the aircraft has acquired 9 but the lights on the aircraft keep flashing 3x's then off for 1 second. I'm afraid to take it off

Put it on the GUI, and watch the GPS strength and count. See if the main board is reading the GPS and able to lock in.

The 3 flashes / Pause is just telling you it is still "acquiring". 9 satellites should be enough, so the question is probably related to the mainboards ability to perform and correctly report the calculation and lock. The GUI can help you determine if that is the case.

A quick compass calculation sometimes helps get a good GPS lock.

I just read something about "GUI" today. Is this where I hook up my drone to my laptop? are there any links or threads I could reference to educate myself with about "GUI"?

Yes, this is where you hook up to the laptop. You can download the GUI file for free from the Yuneec USA website if you don't have it. It requires a connector cable that plugs in the laptop on one end, and to the connector in your battery compartment on the other. Tell me if you don't have both of these, and I will go find the links to get them.

GUI download: http://us.yuneec.com/downloads-typhoon-q500

Cable: Search for "Yuneec USB Interface/Programmer: Q500" or Part# "YUNA100"

Tutorials: Use the search icon (magnifying glass) near upper right corner of this screen and search for phrases such as "Q500 GUI" to bring up threads that talk about the GUI. Some have links to you-tube type tutorials.

Yes, this is where you hook up to the laptop. You can download the GUI file for free from the Yuneec USA website if you don't have it. It requires a connector cable that plugs in the laptop on one end, and to the connector in your battery compartment on the other. Tell me if you don't have both of these, and I will go find the links to get them.

I have the connector but when I downloaded the GUI software, my laptop shows the file was corrupted. Do you have links I can try to download the software from?

GUI download: http://us.yuneec.com/downloads-typhoon-q500

Cable: Search for "Yuneec USB Interface/Programmer: Q500" or Part# "YUNA100"

Tutorials: Use the search icon (magnifying glass) near upper right corner of this screen and search for phrases such as "Q500 GUI" to bring up threads that talk about the GUI. Some have links to you-tube type tutorials.
Got it! Thanks! I will try the downloads.

If the GUI download doesn't work, you can run the install directly from the Yuneec website. I just did that on my windows machine to see if it would really work, and it re-installed the GUI with no problem.

Basic instructions:

Turn off Q500.

Hook cable between laptop and Q500 connector in battery door. On some Q500 series, you have to disconnect the existing plug, on "black motor" versions, it's just an open connector.

Start GUI and let it load.

Turn on Q500.

When GUI shows connection to Q500, click this Icon:
GUI#1.JPG

Look for "NO LOCK". When it goes away, The GPS has achieved 'Lock". If you click "view on a map", it should bring up a google map showing your current location:
GUI 2.JPG

I've been reading other threads. Sounds like MAC version is a problem for many folks. One guy said that when he got the error message, he did not quit, and the GUI loaded by itself after several minutes. Most of the things folks were talking about meant nothing to me, as a PC user. Oh, one guy said he copied the GUI itself to his desktop, and ran it from there, and it worked.

I've been reading other threads. Sounds like MAC version is a problem for many folks. One guy said that when he got the error message, he did not quit, and the GUI loaded by itself after several minutes. Most of the things folks were talking about meant nothing to me, as a PC user. Oh, one guy said he copied the GUI itself to his desktop, and ran it from there, and it worked.

I went ahead and took my drone out to the flying field just to check the functions. The satellite icon on the top right of the screen on the ST10 showed 12 satellites. The "SAT" box on the middle left edge of the screen on the ST10 showed 9 satellites. The box showing GPS read a yellow "acquiring". I then proceeded to go through calibration process. I had the transmitter on "smart" mode and was not able to start up the motors. Must be a failsafe. I turned off the GPS on the transmitter and was able to start up the motors and to fly.

Do I need to replace this?
YUNQ500111-SVC
or this
YUNEEC GPS Module: Q500/Q500+

[QUOTE=" I had the transmitter on "smart" mode and was not able to start up the motors. Must be a failsafe. I turned off the GPS on the transmitter and was able to start up the motors and to fly.
Do I need to replace YUNQ500111-SVC or YUNEEC GPS Module: Q500/Q500+[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a failsafe. Smart Mode (and Home Mode) require GPS to work.

It is hard to tell which of the three suspect items need to be replaced. I doubt it will turn out to be the compass module. The GPS module is more suspect. If the unit ALWAYS reports 9 satellites, that suggests the problem is in the mainboard itself.
If you can find a way to get the MAC GUi to work, or get access to a windows PC, it would help avoid spending money on the wrong thing. It would also give you the ability to reload the drone software.

It may be worth taking the top shell off, and checking the connections for compass and GPS. Also look to see if any wiring got caught between the shells last time it was assembled.

(Sorry for delayed response. My network is freezing up today. Likely related to overload from Grandchildren on the other machines.)

[QUOTE=" I had the transmitter on "smart" mode and was not able to start up the motors. Must be a failsafe. I turned off the GPS on the transmitter and was able to start up the motors and to fly.
Do I need to replace YUNQ500111-SVC or YUNEEC GPS Module: Q500/Q500+

It is hard to tell which of the three suspect items need to be replaced. I doubt it will turn out to be the compass module. The GPS module is more suspect. If the unit ALWAYS reports 9 satellites, that suggests the problem is in the mainboard itself.
If you can find a way to get the MAC GUi to work, or get access to a windows PC, it would help avoid spending money on the wrong thing. It would also give you the ability to reload the drone software.

It may be worth taking the top shell off, and checking the connections for compass and GPS. Also look to see if any wiring got caught between the shells last time it was assembled.

(Sorry for delayed response. My network is freezing up today. Likely related to overload from Grandchildren on the other machines.)[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your time and effort. I’m going borrow a PC for a day and try to install the GUI. Also will disassemble the clamshell and check my gps connections.

Here’s a vid of my flight

(Sorry for delayed response. My network is freezing up today. Likely related to overload from Grandchildren on the other machines.)[/QUOTE]

I was able to borrow a pc from my wife's work. Was able to enter GUI. Now this is measuring GPS signal but I am measuring this in my house which is another story. I have bad cell service in the house by the way. This is what I saw

1545622786307.png

[QUOTE="Now this is measuring GPS signal but I am measuring this in my house[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that looks bad. The screenshot in the earlier post was from a center room inside my house. This looks like a cut wire on the GPS module, or just a bad module in general.

Did you open the shell to look for wiring damage, loose connections yet?

I am going to go put a spare board on the GUI with NO module connected to see if there is a similarity. It will take a few minutes.

(Sorry for delayed response. My network is freezing up today. Likely related to overload from Grandchildren on the other machines.)

I was able to borrow a pc from my wife's work. Was able to enter GUI. Now this is measuring GPS signal but I am measuring this in my house which is another story. I have bad cell service in the house by the way. This is what I saw

View attachment 13267[/QUOTE]

I have bad reception in my house so I took it outside. It no longer says "no lock" and it looks like I have good GPS!! . This is what I saw:

I could not post the picture as i can't figure out how to do a screen shot like I did before but what I got was 18 green bars going up in height from 30-35!

I think this is good?? gonna try my transmitter!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval