Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Purpose of a Drone - Photography

Reaction score
With the release of the new technology such as the Typhoon H Pro and Mavic Air, the discussions of design, props, etc seem to be focused a lot on portability or flying. Some discussions touch on Designers / Engineers missing the ideal design by not providing folding props or some other feature not complimentary for photography. Which is more towards flying interests and less on ideal photographic design. Thought I’d throw out a different angle in discussion and touch on the primary design of drones... photography and other options to consider for non-photography. Many threads in several Yuneec & DJI forums indicate the Posters are expressing more desire to fly than photograph.

Excluding specialized fields and military, multirotor RC aircraft were designed as a platform for photography. Currently, I’d agree consumer platforms are now more broadly focused including market sales and wider advertisement to appeal to attract new buyers. But that’s been driven by the inherent qualities of designing a stable photography platform. Included in this UAV mass market as a result of micro electronics becoming low cost are “toy drones”, but not part of this discussion.

Originally, the quad, hex, oct platforms were focused on photography. The commercial platforms continue to focus primarily on photography related fields, which trickle technology down to prosumer / retail platforms. The heavy lifting Hex & Oct are also being applied to SAR, cabling or other roles, but still dependent on photography or video within the project. The RC sport flyers continue focused on improving FPV Drones or single rotor collective designs... which have greatly improved too!

With the stable multirotor platforms accepted as standard and easily obtained, perceived expectations have gone from something easy to fly to expectations including ultra portability and quality of photography. This combination is improving, but won’t obtain the ideal in any of the 3 in single platform; paticually photography. Kinda like expecting a cell phone camera to obtain same quality of DSLR RAW images; until a cell phone can intigrate a large sensor, isn’t going to happen. If cell phones ever got close, that technology would be applied to larger format DSLR and the bench marks would be at a new level.

As platform form factors miniaturize, the commercial low-lift models become more prosumer class, separated by optional components instead of different class models including newer compact folding designs, which are awesome in design. As development continues it will be driven by photography, the camera sensors, high ISO, wider base of lenses, geo mapping, fps, Mbps, zoom, interchangeable lenses, GPS and grid programs available on commercial models slowly being trinkled down to prosumer / consumer models.

Each generation improves in producing an ultra stable, geo fenced, logging, intelligent multi rotor with exceptional cameras. For the New Buyer to purchase as a photography platform, they are getting more than they imagined possible!
For the group purchasing primarily as sport / entertainment aircraft may be impressed on stability, maneuverability, speed and overall performance. After a short time will essentially find the aircraft non-challenging... boring.

This is where media has over popularized the photography drones. These buyers should look towards the less advertised but still technological high FPV Drones or even better, the Single Rotor Collective Helicopters.

FPV Drones maintain the high stability performance, increased agility, higher speed to photo drones and are designed for both open visual or streaming video goggles (limitations where can be legally flown). Designed for flying, entertainment, sport, racing and the closest to video game environment while outside, the FPV Drones. Example of FPV Drone: new Yuneec Racer: HD Racer | Yuneec USA, another exotic example:
https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Goggles-Transmitter-Controller-Quadcopter/dp/B01M027X8I?tag=uavcoach-20

For those seeking personal challenge, increased Pilot skills, and entertainment that gives a feeling of accomplishment after a flight. The single rotor collective Helli is the aircraft to examine. Before drones, RC flying involved purchasing a radio, transmitter, receiver, servos and required a skill to configure to fly. Back in the day of RC radios, servos, and nitro fuel; the chopper was the elite craft to learn & master. The analog systems & mechanical gyros helped but there were always more crash than flight... an experienced pilot was a patient pilot slowly gaining skills. Jump forward to present time; electronics, batteries, digital / intelligent radios, electric helicopters have greatly improved the configuration and controllability of RC Helli’s. To clarify, not speaking of dual counter rotating rotor toys or fixed collective rotors. Visit a hobby store or read up on the RC choppers, a popular brand is Blade, an example of small collective bird Nano CPS: Blade - #1 By Design.

This post became longer than intended... quick conclusion:
If you’re looking to purchase or owning a drone to “Fly” more than photography or maybe both... got into photo drones for the love of flying and at times would enjoy the challenge of flying; Look at the other flying options. Personally, if an inexperienced Flyer can buy, unwrap a UAV aircraft and stable fly on 1st battery, the skills required have been greatly assisted by electronics. Adding to pilot skills, another benifit to RC Helli’s is the gained skills in piloting and controlled reactions learned while flying an aircraft that isn’t nearly as stable as a drone.

Last edited:
With the release of the new technology such as the Typhoon H Pro and Mavic Air, the discussions of design, props, etc seem to be focused a lot on portability or flying. Some discussions touch on Designers / Engineers missing the ideal design by not providing folding props or some other feature not complimentary for photography. Which is more towards flying interests and less on ideal photographic design. Thought I’d throw out a different angle in discussion and touch on the primary design of drones... photography and other options to consider for non-photography. Many threads in several Yuneec & DJI forums indicate the Posters are expressing more desire to fly than photograph.

Excluding specialized fields and military, multirotor RC aircraft were designed as a platform for photography. Currently, I’d agree consumer platforms are now more broadly focused including market sales and wider advertisement to appeal to attract new buyers. But that’s been driven by the inherent qualities of designing a stable photography platform. Included in this UAV mass market as a result of micro electronics becoming low cost are “toy drones”, but not part of this discussion.

Originally, the quad, hex, oct platforms were focused on photography. The commercial platforms continue to focus primarily on photography related fields, which trickle technology down to prosumer / retail platforms. The heavy lifting Hex & Oct are also being applied to SAR, cabling or other roles, but still dependent on photography or video within the project. The RC sport flyers continue focused on improving FPV Drones or single rotor collective designs... which have greatly improved too!

With the stable multirotor platforms accepted as standard and easily obtained, perceived expectations have gone from something easy to fly to expectations including ultra portability and quality of photography. This combination is improving, but won’t obtain the ideal in any of the 3 in single platform; paticually photography. Kinda like expecting a cell phone camera to obtain same quality of DSLR RAW images; until a cell phone can intigrate a large sensor, isn’t going to happen. If cell phones ever got close, that technology would be applied to larger format DSLR and the bench marks would be at a new level.

As platform form factors miniaturize, the commercial low-lift models become more prosumer class, separated by optional components instead of different class models including newer compact folding designs, which are awesome in design. As development continues it will be driven by photography, the camera sensors, high ISO, wider base of lenses, geo mapping, fps, Mbps, zoom, interchangeable lenses, GPS and grid programs available on commercial models slowly being trinkled down to prosumer / consumer models.

Each generation improves in producing an ultra stable, geo fenced, logging, intelligent multi rotor with exceptional cameras. For the New Buyer to purchase as a photography platform, they are getting more than they imagined possible!
For the group purchasing primarily as sport / entertainment aircraft may be impressed on stability, maneuverability, speed and overall performance. After a short time will essentially find the aircraft non-challenging... boring.

This is where media has over popularized the photography drones. These buyers should look towards the less advertised but still technological high FPV Drones or even better, the Single Rotor Collective Helicopters.

FPV Drones maintain the high stability performance, increased agility, higher speed to photo drones and are designed for both open visual or streaming video goggles (limitations where can be legally flown). Designed for flying, entertainment, sport, racing and the closest to video game environment while outside, the FPV Drones. Example of FPV Drone: new Yuneec Racer: HD Racer | Yuneec USA, another exotic example:
https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Goggles-Transmitter-Controller-Quadcopter/dp/B01M027X8I?tag=uavcoach-20

For those seeking personal challenge, increased Pilot skills, and entertainment that gives a feeling of accomplishment after a flight. The single rotor collective Helli is the aircraft to examine. Before drones, RC flying involved purchasing a radio, transmitter, receiver, servos and required a skill to configure to fly. Back in the day of RC radios, servos, and nitro fuel; the chopper was the elite craft to learn & master. The analog systems & mechanical gyros helped but there were always more crash than flight... an experienced pilot was a patient pilot slowly gaining skills. Jump forward to present time; electronics, batteries, digital / intelligent radios, electric helicopters have greatly improved the configuration and controllability of RC Helli’s. To clarify, not speaking of dual counter rotating rotor toys or fixed collective rotors. Visit a hobby store or read up on the RC choppers, a popular brand is Blade, an example of small collective bird Nano CPS: Blade - #1 By Design.

This post became longer than intended... quick conclusion:
If you’re looking to purchase or owning a drone to “Fly” more than photography or maybe both... got into photo drones for the love of flying and at times would enjoy the challenge of flying; Look at the other flying options. Personally, if an inexperienced Flyer can buy, unwrap a UAV aircraft and stable fly on 1st battery, the skills required have been greatly assisted by electronics. Adding to pilot skills, another benifit to RC Helli’s is the gained skills in piloting and controlled reactions learned while flying an aircraft that isn’t nearly as stable as a drone.
Nice post.
I use my aircraft for videography and photography so I need a nice stable platform: electronic wizardry to keep the platform stable while I'm taking the shot. However, over the years I've gotten good on the pilot side of things so I recon I can hold my own should the GPS be turned off, say (indeed the U.K. PfCO Operations evaluation tests this).

I've seen people flying racing drones. They are INSANE. Looks very good fun, but not what I'm looking for in an aircraft: I need to make a bit of money out of my aircraft.

Reactions: Sully53
Well said. I remember the thrill of the first time I was able to fly (fixed wing RC) a complete flight with the near certainty of being able to land safely. It was an immense feeling and; one that led to a 37 year quest in RC. By the time I got my hands on a multi rotor I remember kinda asking myself "whats the point"? It didn't seem like a challenge at all, no true skill was needed and having gone thru the point in RC where ARF's appeared and true craftsmanship was given no thought, this looked like the next step or evolution to the RC hobby albeit one with a twist.

As a photographer and videographer who had been strapping cameras on and inside of RC aircraft since the late 90's it became abundantly clear what the new multis offered that no RC fixed or rotary aircraft could - a stable camera platform! I've said it before but it bears repeating - Drones are nothing more than another tool to hold a camera, in the purest sense. Outside of this purpose there are RC aircraft that are can fly faster, higher, longer, lift more weight - not to mention look far better - than any multi rotor ever can.

But the "Drone" stands alone as the supreme camera platform for the very reason that it takes so little skill or effort to commit to flight and hold itself stable in the air. But if there were true praise to be given; as a videographer who could never get the shots I really wanted from any fixed or rotary winged aircraft - the three axis, stabilized Gimbal is what gives the multi rotor its sole purpose in life.

I think the OP is correct that many that are coming into the hobby are experiencing "flight" for the first time and that rush they are getting is the same as it was for fixed wing and rotary wing guys back in the day. If you read through this forum you can find examples of this exuberance in many posts about first flights or some that finished a special flight of some sort. In RC there were many different segments to the hobby and now in this new age of UAV's where; getting into the air and back on the ground is virtually assured the first time you try, there are going to be different segments here too.

I would also agree that if one wants to get their flying skills into the next level, learning to fly something that requires the pilot to fly without the aid of gyros, IMU's, GPS stabilization, autoland, flight telemetry on screen, beepers and warnings when you're "bingo fuel", and seriously - object avoidance!!!:D What is that? ;)

For me though I am really enjoying this new tech, and how it is supporting my favorite past time which is photography and video; and how this tech is bleeding into other areas. For years I was close to buying a true steady-cam for video work but couldn't justify the price. But now you can by handheld stabilizers that are far better for a fraction of the price. While I think a lot of pilots currently flying multi's don't know what their missing by having never flown RC, its a fact that many that tried RC eventually gave up because they simply didn't -1] take serious enough to put the time in or - 2] just didn't have the necessary skills. Either way the more coming into this new hobby the better as it stimulates the industry and drives new product evolution.

Reactions: rdonson
Well said. I remember the thrill of the first time I was able to fly (fixed wing RC) a complete flight with the near certainty of being able to land safely. It was an immense feeling and; one that led to a 37 year quest in RC. By the time I got my hands on a multi rotor I remember kinda asking myself "whats the point"? It didn't seem like a challenge at all, no true skill was needed and having gone thru the point in RC where ARF's appeared and true craftsmanship was given no thought, this looked like the next step or evolution to the RC hobby albeit one with a twist.

As a photographer and videographer who had been strapping cameras on and inside of RC aircraft since the late 90's it became abundantly clear what the new multis offered that no RC fixed or rotary aircraft could - a stable camera platform! I've said it before but it bears repeating - Drones are nothing more than another tool to hold a camera, in the purest sense. Outside of this purpose there are RC aircraft that are can fly faster, higher, longer, lift more weight - not to mention look far better - than any multi rotor ever can.

But the "Drone" stands alone as the supreme camera platform for the very reason that it takes so little skill or effort to commit to flight and hold itself stable in the air. But if there were true praise to be given; as a videographer who could never get the shots I really wanted from any fixed or rotary winged aircraft - the three axis, stabilized Gimbal is what gives the multi rotor its sole purpose in life.

I think the OP is correct that many that are coming into the hobby are experiencing "flight" for the first time and that rush they are getting is the same as it was for fixed wing and rotary wing guys back in the day. If you read through this forum you can find examples of this exuberance in many posts about first flights or some that finished a special flight of some sort. In RC there were many different segments to the hobby and now in this new age of UAV's where; getting into the air and back on the ground is virtually assured the first time you try, there are going to be different segments here too.

I would also agree that if one wants to get their flying skills into the next level, learning to fly something that requires the pilot to fly without the aid of gyros, IMU's, GPS stabilization, autoland, flight telemetry on screen, beepers and warnings when you're "bingo fuel", and seriously - object avoidance!!!:D What is that? ;)

For me though I am really enjoying this new tech, and how it is supporting my favorite past time which is photography and video; and how this tech is bleeding into other areas. For years I was close to buying a true steady-cam for video work but couldn't justify the price. But now you can by handheld stabilizers that are far better for a fraction of the price. While I think a lot of pilots currently flying multi's don't know what their missing by having never flown RC, its a fact that many that tried RC eventually gave up because they simply didn't -1] take serious enough to put the time in or - 2] just didn't have the necessary skills. Either way the more coming into this new hobby the better as it stimulates the industry and drives new product evolution.

Great post... agree with all points! Photography is the focus of the Drone and the joy of flying adds to the passion! Not many can enjoy two of their passions simultaneously.

As you indicate, several of the new flyers have never experienced or gained the RC Flying skills, and most probably aren't even aware the "old RC stuff" is even available to challenge them.

The other RC flying options will never approach drones photo platform, and the drone platform does meet the thirst of many for the thrill of flying. The RC Heli or FTP Drone certainly won't meet the business needs, but are great for the off-time pleasure of a hobby that provides a rewarding challenge and refreshes one's love of RC Flying. I ride bikes for sport, exercise and to enjoy the quite countryside; adding to the off-time activity I've began flying RC Heli's again (20+ yr leave) to simply enjoy the flying skill, rotor sounds and hearing RPM change. I'd rather bike or fly RC than swing a club any day!

Reactions: Rubik and Ty Pilot
You had me Doug, until you dissed that “tuning fork in your loins.” My golf buddies out there will know that reference!

Regarding the topic of this thread...

As for purpose... on the surface it may be black and white, but... there are too many uses as well as enjoyments to box into one category.

I had some RC experience many years ago. I also built upon my love of photography 18 years ago to now. Looking to expand my options, multi rotors seemed to blend nicely. I still get that awe when reviewing my simple compilations.

What has been an unexpected surprise is this: the more I fly, the more I “need” to fly, for the sheer thrill of flying. I get grumpy when some of these winter days drag on beyond the conditions I will try. I do get out there when the temps are in the single digits (F) but don’t push for hours. A flight or two and then done as I do notice some performance issues once in awhile, not related to battery time.

The point is, camera transport is not always my incentive for flying. Sometimes the camera is just along for the ride; especially if something special is around as well. The mental breaks and rejuvenations are priceless. (Well... aside from the other “condition”... more equipment!)

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
The primary reason for a TH is for reliable repeatable and steady camera shots. It is the best off the shelf solution currently and has enough integrated with the camera to get the look you want. I know how to set my ISO and shutter speeds to deal with lots of different light. Every videographer I share my shots with plus demo it in flight immediately sees the superior flight stability of the 480. When the see the shot in the ST locked steady and look up at how much you can bounce around they are hooked. The demo usually involves rotating right stick around suddenly in all directions - which is always a good test of control function - while they look up from steady image and see how much the drone is jerking around but the video isn’t. That’s my passion and the H rarely disappoints.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I have some sample clips to show interested folk: “look at the lander gear bouncing around... now look at the horizon!” Getting a good shot/video in 20+ winds, adding gusts on top of that, is a great testimonial.

You had me Doug, until you dissed that “tuning fork in your loins.” My golf buddies out there will know that reference!

Regarding the topic of this thread...

As for purpose... on the surface it may be black and white, but... there too many uses as well as enjoyments to box into one category.

I had some RC experience many years ago. I also built upon my love of photography 18 years ago to now. Looking to expand my options, multi rotors seemed to blend nicely. I still get that awe when reviewing my simple compilations.

What has been an unexpected surprise is this: the more I fly, the more I “need” to fly, for the sheer thrill of flying. I get grumpy when some of these winter days drag on beyond the conditions I will try. I do get out there when the temps are in the single digits (F) but don’t push for hours. A flight or two and then done as I do notice some performance issues once in awhile, not related to battery time.

The point is, camera transport is not always my incentive for flying. Sometimes the camera is just along for the ride; especially is something special is around as well. The mental breaks and rejuvenations are priceless. (Well... aside from the other “condition”... more equipment!)

Jeff

Good point and I'm with you and I didn't necessarily mean it is only a platform for flying cameras and not something to enjoy flight, they are certainly are. I guess I meant; flying a camera precisely is what they excel at, above all other flying platforms in general. I do still love flying and find it challenging to get the exact shot and I find the Camera side of me is always challenging the pilot side. We just had several weeks of cold and wind so I can sorta sympathize with you more Northern folk enduring long winters.

Good point and I'm with you and I didn't necessarily mean it is only a platform for flying cameras and not something to enjoy flight, they are certainly are. I guess I meant; flying a camera precisely is what they excel at, above all other flying platforms in general. I do still love flying and find it challenging to get the exact shot and I find the Camera side of me is always challenging the pilot side. We just had several weeks of cold and wind so I can sorta sympathize with you more Northern folk enduring long winters.

Ty,

I actually embrace and look forward to the winters, even more so since last year when I ordered my first H (first multi). As I’ve stated elsewhere, once the lake freezes to a safe thickness, I have nothing but open sky.

The challenging time is between dock out and ice. I still fly, but I definitely do not have that 100 feet or 100 degree of clearance for take-off.

Also, I’m not discounting any opinions or viewpoints (not intentionally anyway). I agree with you and others as to the “intended” purpose. I’m just trying to come to grips with my growing addiction. Admitting it exists is the first step, or so I’m told!

Guess I’m also enjoying the friendly banter as opposed to a lot of the complaining we seem to be reading when expectations are slow to be realized.

All good!

Jeff

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I’d love to create a drone retreat here in Az in the winter. Daytime is in the 70s, lots of open sky and dramatic scenery plus amazing golden hours with sunrises and sunsets that challenge your camera setting skills. I’ve been looking at some dude ranches down near Patagonia along the border and hope to find some partners who want some different kind of cowboys like us.

I’d love to create a drone retreat here in Az in the winter. Daytime is in the 70s, lots of open sky and dramatic scenery plus amazing golden hours with sunrises and sunsets that challenge your camera setting skills. I’ve been looking at some dude ranches down near Patagonia along the border and hope to find some partners who want some different kind of cowboys like us.

May be able to join you in a couple years, if my lovely bride gets her way. Wants to winter in or near fountain hills. I might be talked into a couple weeks, maybe, if I can ship a ship or two. [emoji41]

LMK... I'm there, as long as I don't have to ride a horse with the ST-16 in follow me mode... :eek:

Nothing wrong with that. Ever ride one horse back behind a well proportioned cow girl on horse back?

Nice post.
I use my aircraft for videography and photography so I need a nice stable platform: electronic wizardry to keep the platform stable while I'm taking the shot. However, over the years I've gotten good on the pilot side of things so I recon I can hold my own should the GPS be turned off, say (indeed the U.K. PfCO Operations evaluation tests this).

I've seen people flying racing drones. They are INSANE. Looks very good fun, but not what I'm looking for in an aircraft: I need to make a bit of money out of my aircraft.
I need an easy to fly camera drone, that is why I got my Q500 4K, and I can not afford to replace it, so I fly safe and never fly out of sight. I don't think I could control one of those racing drones....everything happens just to fast for me....I have learned to fly drones in my back yard, in a very tight space with trees and wires, now flying out in a big field a long distance from me, feels strange, but my neighbor said I could fly over his property, so am getting farther away each time I go up. I started with a couple smaller drones and worked my way up to the Q500 4K, this is my 6th drone and all I need to do what I want to do...been flying for about 6 years now...am almost 71 years old and still playing with flying toys........Fly safe and have fun............

I'm going to echo bb1040. At 74, my hands aren't like they used to be, just got used to heli with stabilization, and hands went to wiggle mode, Sure is neat to watch, but **** on airframe. I need the added stability of the yuneec products to take pictures. Had 5004k and sold it to get typhoon hpro. best purchase ever, and really makes believers out of most camera pilots. Did I say 6 motors? Has saved my drone when I had prop collet fall off on old hex makeup. Absolutely enjoy landing exercising very slow landings .5 inch per second, impresses sceptics!! Enjoy flying and in the words of flying buddy, "keep it up" flying of course.

Ty,

I actually embrace and look forward to the winters, even more so since last year when I ordered my first H (first multi). As I’ve stated elsewhere, once the lake freezes to a safe thickness, I have nothing but open sky.

The challenging time is between dock out and ice. I still fly, but I definitely do not have that 100 feet or 100 degree of clearance for take-off.

Also, I’m not discounting any opinions or viewpoints (not intentionally anyway). I agree with you and others as to the “intended” purpose. I’m just trying to come to grips with my growing addiction. Admitting it exists is the first step, or so I’m told!

Guess I’m also enjoying the friendly banter as opposed to a lot of the complaining we seem to be reading when expectations are slow to be realized.

All good!

Jeff
100 feet or 100 degree of clearance for take-off. How about 6 feet from the bird when it takes off, that is where I am most of the time, then dodge the trees and the edge of the house......I fly in my back yard and around my house so the "100 feet or 100 degree of clearance for take-off." really doesn't work for me....JUST DO NOT USE SAFE MODE,when taking off, or things will get real exciting,real fast....

I need an easy to fly camera drone, that is why I got my Q500 4K, and I can not afford to replace it, so I fly safe and never fly out of sight. I don't think I could control one of those racing drones....everything happens just to fast for me....I have learned to fly drones in my back yard, in a very tight space with trees and wires, now flying out in a big field a long distance from me, feels strange, but my neighbor said I could fly over his property, so am getting farther away each time I go up. I started with a couple smaller drones and worked my way up to the Q500 4K, this is my 6th drone and all I need to do what I want to do...been flying for about 6 years now...am almost 71 years old and still playing with flying toys........Fly safe and have fun............
'Tis good that you don't fly out of sight. I've been known to push the boundaries of LOS on occasion but I generally fly a lot closer to me. One rule I work with is 'Never fly further than you are prepared to walk'. At 62 years old I'm not as nimble on my feet as I once was...and I certainly can't walk on water.

Last edited:
'Tis good that you don't fly out of sight. I've been known to push the boundaries of LOS on occasion but I generally fly a lot closer to me. One rule I work with is 'Never fly further than you are prepared to walk'. At 62 years old I'm not as nimble on my feet as I once was...and I certainly can't walk on water.
I just can't see what it is doing, that far away, even at 400 feet high, I get nervous, it is getting really small way up there. One thing I like about the Q500 4K is that if I get a little confused, I can just let go of the controls, and it will just sit there and wait for me to catch up....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis