Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 Crashed with message 5 motor error

Reaction score
Was flying the Q500 4K and all was going well. Got a message something like 5 motor error and then the drone flipped over and crashed hard into the ground upside down basically destroyed the frame and maybe the camera. I like the Q500 but don't know if it's worth spending the money to fix it nor what I'd need to replace other than the obvious frame. Surprisingly one propeller survived the crash but all others were destroyed. One of the motors doesn't feel right either. The camera was several feet away and the lense/antenna cover was off and one of the tabs that held the cover in place is broken off. Any ideas as to fix or abandon? I haven't started pricing the parts.

No wonder it crashed....it gained a motor and got confused!

Seriously though, sorry for your crash and catastrophic loss of the bird. I can’t help you, but others here can if you post telemetry files. Do a search here how to do it.....or maybe one of the experts will pop in and walk you through it. It’s not hard....the trick is adding an extra “.txt” extension so the files will upload.

Without information from telemetry files or GUI, I can only speculate the obvious, that a motor went out. Maybe the associated ESC.
Repairs on the bird would not be that difficult. Parts can be found on eBay, as well as "Parts Only" drones and kits that would likely be your best bet for repairing at a reasonable cost.
If you could upload the telemetry files from the controller, it might reveal something more specific about the failure.
IF the three black wires got pulled out of the camera, you won't know much until you can power it back up. Maybe on a steadygrip?

The error message means simply 'Motor error'. The message is confusing because it was made for the hexa that was in development.
It's a fault in the file strings.xml and should not raised for a quad:
<string name="str_motor_status_is_error">Motor error! Enter Five-Rotor mode! Please land immediately.</string>

GUI will indicate what motor/ESC is affected, telemetry too.

I’ll presume the Q is an older unit and has been flown many times, perhaps experiencing a few mishaps along the way.

If it is an older aircraft, experiencing a motor or ESC failure is something to be anticipated after long term continuous use. Your description of the damage is indicative of rather high parts snd labor costs to execute repairs of a system likely to experience a similar failure not far down the line.

My advice would be to replace the unit with a new one or elect to upgrade to a more modern and advanced model.

Here is the telemetry file. I had the drone up on this same battery taking some photos and after looking at the photos decided I needed to change the camera setting so took it up again for a short session. Looking at the voltage, I probably shouldn't have done the second flight without a fully charged battery. So I may have been the main contributing factor. Think just before the motor error a message that the battery was getting low. Things happened rapidly and I'm not as young as I used to be so my recall may not be correct. Anyway I had the bird in sight and was attempting to get it back and land it. There were wind gusts and just about the same time as the motor error message showed it appearted that maybe there was a wind gust at which time it flipped over and came down quickly and hard. I've had it for a few years and don't fly it often so am not a skilled pilot. I added the previous flight file in case it might have value. Thanks for all the responses.

Attachments

• Telemetry_00026.csv.txt
    123.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Telemetry_00025.csv.txt
    220.4 KB · Views: 7
No wonder it crashed....it gained a motor and got confused!

Seriously though, sorry for your crash and catastrophic loss of the bird. I can’t help you, but others here can if you post telemetry files. Do a search here how to do it.....or maybe one of the experts will pop in and walk you through it. It’s not hard....the trick is adding an extra “.txt” extension so the files will upload.
Thanks. Yep sometimes just have to have a sense of humor.

Without information from telemetry files or GUI, I can only speculate the obvious, that a motor went out. Maybe the associated ESC.
Repairs on the bird would not be that difficult. Parts can be found on eBay, as well as "Parts Only" drones and kits that would likely be your best bet for repairing at a reasonable cost.
If you could upload the telemetry files from the controller, it might reveal something more specific about the failure.
IF the three black wires got pulled out of the camera, you won't know much until you can power it back up. Maybe on a steadygrip?
I attached the Telemetry files below. I'll try the GUI tomorrow. Thanks.

Thanks for the analysis. One of the props wasn't damaged but can't remember which one. Later today I'll take a look at the damage and see it the prop on motor 3 was the undamaged one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis