Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

q500 GPS module pin-out

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. I am looking for the pinout for the GPS unit from my downed craft. I believe these modules have compass built in hence why it has 6 wires (red)+(Black)- white ? Yellow? orange ? Blue ? Those 4 id like to figure out. thumbnail.jpgwhich is sda scl and rx tx. Thanks for anyone's help

Is this what your looking for? All I have is a picture of the wires going to the plug. No idea what each one is.

2019-10-29 19.49.59.jpg

Reactions: Steve Carr
I believe these modules have compass built in....

Actually, no, the compass is NOT part of the GPS module. The compass is a stand-alone sensor in the nose of the Q500.

The drawing above is also Attachment 32 (Q500 GPS Wire Color) in "Way To Fix Drones project". You may find other articles in the document to be useful.

Last edited:
hi can u help in your fix drones article, the q500 mine is not powering up, the fault lies with the controlled ground side of the power chip.. mine q500 has 12 v on the 10kohm resistor on one side and to the power chip in 0v and also same voltage when i switch it on..power control chip. i dont have a short on any of the small transistors obviously not switching on transistor to fire up chips.. then if i cheat and short that fed resistor all comes on , when i run the gui software it tells me the input to output data is back to front but i have cross refrence all, any idea thanks jim

Have you seen Attachment 31 (Q500 “Power ON” Study) of the document below? It is my best interpretation of the way the power on circuit works.
IF I understand your description correctly, it sounds like you have 0v on the control pins of the power chips. This would normally close the chips, and allow current to flow. I am not sure I understand what points you are shorting across. If you can copy one of the drawings and mark it for what you are shorting, that would help.
It is not uncommon for the two large chips to fail, but I really do not know if that is your case.
See Attachment 31 of:
"Way To Fix Drones project"

thank you for promt reply.. yes you got it spot on, and thats what im thinking powerchips.. so the main resistor is a 10k that feeds the powerchip, and also runs to the transistor just under the power chips.. , so basically i jumped the power chip with the 12volt line and all fired up...i might actually put 12v on the pin in of the power chip and see if the chips fire, if they dont then im thinking a transistor??? im repairing this for a friend but he compass is missing the cpu wont shut down due to that will it.. shouldnt do?? thanks jimmy

also with these units is there any easy way to check the esc boards from front to rear.., as someone has played with this unit big time so i want to check all ta

is there any easy way to check the esc boards
Unfortunately, no. If there is a gross failure, it will show up on GUI when you do motor tests. But the ESCs have been known to have less than obvious problems that don't show up until you are in flight.
Has there been any history that suggests a problem with the ESCs?

he had bought it from ebay as selling for parts... so what i just found there is 3 boards the same 1517 and 1 1530 which there should be 2 of each correct??? there is a 1530 on rear left on b motor and there should be the same on rear a motor thats correct isnt it???? the fronts have 1517 pcb

Unfortunately, no. If there is a gross failure, it will show up on GUI when you do motor tests. But the ESCs have been known to have less than obvious problems that don't show up until you are in flight.

He just bought another on ebay so we can finish 1 out of 2 that he bought.. this other one he bought is flashing Its not connecting, on wifi ..THAT WILL BE OK.. Flashing blue and orange ?? what that normally mean.. also the main led on the main board whats color should that be when powering up and when all ready?? many thanks jimmy

Flashing blue and orange ?? what that normally mean.. also the main led on the main board whats color should that be when powering up and when all ready?? many thanks jimmy

Flashing blue and orange ??
Rapid flashing BLUE on the REAR LED means the board initialized properly but is not bound to the controller. Orange flashes mixed in means the compass needs calibration.

"main led on the main board whats color should that be when powering up and when all ready"
Should flash blue and red when first powered, then go to steady red.

This link has downloads for the "Cheat Sheet", the Owners Manual, and several other things you may need later.
"Downloads - Typhoon Q500 4K"

AWESOME TRULY appreciate it.. ill keep u in touch if i find anything strange with the main pcb on the 1st drone.. with the current sensing cct

on the gui all passed finally .. we dont no if the previous owner had issues with the esc... but i can not start the motors tho , the compass shouldnt have anything to do with the motosr to run?? or is it like u said , the main cpu will not initialize properly without the compass, thanks jim

ive marked where the missing voltage are

Attachments

• Q500 GPS Module Connections email.jpg
    Q500 GPS Module Connections email.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
The Motors will NOT start without the compass.
However, the main power to the ESC should be at ~12v
Please look at these pictures. I need to understand what voltage you have at each of the 4 indicated points with the switch OFF, and again with the switch ON.

Attachments

• Switch OFF.jpg
    Switch OFF.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Switch ON.jpg
    Switch ON.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member