Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question about 107 prep

Reaction score
I am ready to pursue my 107. It was recommended to me to pick up this book from Amazon.

For those of you that have already got your 107. What did you do to prepare yourself for the test?

Did you use a book/study guide?

Did you use one of the online 107 exam prep courses, such as RemotePilot101?

Do you do a combo of things?

Do you do something completely different?

Start here:

Then:

Here is Part 107 itself:

Here's a good resource:

IMHO, if after reviewing all of the above resources, take the sample test at jruppechtlaw.com

If you still are having difficulties with the sample tests, then consider one of the online schools. Frankly between the links above, as well as a myriad of links from a search on this forum for "Part 107" can provide all the resources for any pilot pursuing 107 certification.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
..... It was recommended to me to pick up this book from Amazon.......

I used that book as part of my study curriculum. It prepared me very well. I highly recommend it. I’ve always turned to ASA for my aviation needs.

When I saw all the info was available online, I thought "great!"
The problem I had with that is, it's all over the place. Video here, guidebook there. Nothing really structured covering the things you need to know for sure.

I chose REMOTEPILOT101 for a couple of reasons:
-It's structured well
-I learn better from seeing/hearing the info
-One price covers you forever, including frequent updates in the ever-changing world of drones
-Recurrent course is free! For life!
-Guy in videos is manned aircraft pilot as well. He is very well-spoken. (Jason)
-Test failure rate through his program is almost non-existent.
-You can ask questions and they answer them promptly. They also have a blog.
-They walk you through the process AFTER the test as well. (submitting test, what to expect, etc)

Learning by video (for me) is so much easier because they launch many visuals of what they are talking about. You really learn and understand the info better.
I highly recommend this course.

PS...scan the net for discount coupon codes. Sometimes you can find one.

I used the book from Amazon, watched videos and took a bunch of practice test on line. Passed on first try with a 98% (missed 3 questions), No matter how you go at it, I suggest that when you take the test don't hurry. Read the question and all the answers carefully. The FAA will throw in a couple of questions where more than one answer may appear right. Usually this is a matter of MSL vs AGL or true heading vs magnetic.

Good luck when you do test.

I've used REMOTEPILOT101 twice, once to certify and then to re-certify.
NDJollyMon posted his reasons and they are basically the same as mine.

I've used REMOTEPILOT101 twice, once to certify and then to re-certify.
NDJollyMon posted his reasons and they are basically the same as mine.

Thank you @Thecloth and @NDJollyMon. I've decided to go with the book I mentioned above. It just arrived today, so I'll have lots of reading for next week. My decision not to go with an online prep course is purely due to costs right now. I'll be studying the book and online resources and taking practice tests. I also have 107 holders local to me that can assist me in preparing for taking the test.

I recommend getting this book to study:

The Complete Remote Pilot

This book goes into detail about each of the subject areas you need to know. There are also practice questions at the end of each chapter. Use this book, along with FAA resources like the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge for deeper dives into individual topics. You can download it for free....or you can purchase a professionally printed version inexpensively if you want physical copy. I have both digital and physical.

I setup a folder in Acrobat Reader and downloaded the various FAA PDFs that the guide suggests.

Once you’ve studied and developed your knowledge base, THEN start in on the Test Prep Guide. The Test Prep Guide by itself does not have the knowledge development in depth to adequately prepare you. All it does it get you used to the FAA style questions, give a brief talk on the subject, and tell you why answers are incorrect. It allows you to see how well prepared you are and where you need more study. It’s not really designed to teach you the material.

I’m sorry, I should have been more specific in my reply. The Test Prep book did prepare me for the test, but the other books mentioned developed the knowledge base. I guess it’s not really clear that there are 2 phases: (1) developing knowledge and (2) prepping for the test.

Tony’s video is a nice “Cliff’s Notes” source. He covers a lot of what you need to know, but not in any depth to know why or develop useful knowledge. It’s geared more toward answering the questions correctly rather than learning the material. However, it’s a brilliant last minute review. After a good nights sleep, I watched his video (my TV has the YouTube app) over coffee the morning I took my test. It was perfect for reviewing everything and getting my mind in the right mode, just before I left the house.

Reactions: NealJ777
I guess it’s not really clear that there are 2 phases: (1) developing knowledge and (2) prepping for the test.

This needs to be in BOLD letters in every 107 test thread!!

Test prep is miles harder if you lack the base knowledge to answer the questions. It is far easier to prep when you know the material first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco