Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question for Licensed Pilots I

Reaction score
Question for Licensed Pilots

I Was checking on SkyVector and noticed a large blue circle covering most of Central New York State. This is the largest marked circle in the United States and I was wondering what it means and If a knowledgeable pilot could explain how it applies to our drone hobby.

When I click on the circle a box has the following information:

"UAS Operating Area BDR_11/125
Effective: 11/29 21:23Z to 3/30 02:00Z
From SFC to 100000AGL
valid for 60 days"

Mainly curious as to why such a large area
Thanks !
SkyVector.jpg

Someone has applied for and been granted special permission to fly a UAS (Drone) in those areas from Ground to 10,000 feet AGL.

NOTAM is here

Data Current as of: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:42:00 UTC
ZBW BOSTON (ARTCC),NASHUA, NH.
!BDR 11/125 ZBW AIRSPACE UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 60NM RADIUS OF SYR SFC-10000FT AGL WED THU MON TUE 2122-0200 1711292123-1803300200

Do a google search on NOTAMS (Notice To Aimen) it will explain more.
When a pilot of a manned aircraft plans a flight, they are suppose to check for any NOTAMS at the point of start, in route, and at their destination airport. Good way to make sure one does not fly into a NFZ.

There's only a few entities that can operate over people, CNN, police departments, Homeland Security I can think of off hand. The size of this zone suggests it's a government agency, and it would be pretty much impossible for a private business to be granted authorization to operate UAS there.. Little known is that our government often flies Predators over areas our President will be visiting for the duration of his stay.

Good on you for checking charts and NOTAM's!:) Most don't.

Site for checking NOTAM's; NOTAMS, TFRs, and Aircraft Safety Alerts
NOTAM Request for Accountability or Location: BDR and NOTAM Number: 11/124

Data Current as of: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 16:39:00 UTC
ZBW BOSTON (ARTCC),NASHUA, NH.
!BDR 11/124 ZBW AIRSPACE UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS SYR244012 TO SYR304004 TO SYR337006 TO SYR353011 TO SYR041013 TO SYR067020 TO SYR095018 TO SYR136018 TO SYR194007 TO POINT OF ORIGIN FL180-FL230 1711292121-1803302359

Last edited:
Thanks Bob and Pat for the reply !
I sort of know what a NOTAM is but how does this related to us drone pilots.
I friend and I where going to do some flying over our local rivers that are reporting ice jams
and just get some footage of the ice flows.
Can we go and fly around/within this circle?

Thanks Bob and Pat for the reply !
I sort of know what a NOTAM is but how does this related to us drone pilots.
I friend and I where going to do some flying over our local rivers that are reporting ice jams
and just get some footage of the ice flows.
Can we go and fly around/within this circle?
As a 'drone' pilot, or sUAS pilot you are an airman. NOTAM stands for Notice(s) To Air Men. Since you are an airman, then NOTAM refers to you. They are issued to make airmen aware of operations in an area/airspace that the NOTAM referrers to. NOTAM's should be checked before each flight if you are going to do it right.

Last edited:
@Atomic08 For a minute there I sorta did a double take when I read in your post - "From SFC to 100000AGL" :eek: Then I saw it was a slight typo.

Are you flying a commercial flight (107) or flying as a hobbyist?

Oddly enough here is an example of how the rules framework of the FAA has a few discrepancies or holes. I know @PatR is very well versed in UAV rules and 107 in General as well as AMA so maybe he can share his thoughts or if I'm missing something. Basically, if you are a hobbyist flying under the AMA's guidelines, checking NOTAMs is not specified as your responsibility but it does specify that you cannot fly where model aircraft are prohibited - which is difficult for 107 operators who are new to the NAS much less a hobbyist - to understand.

I just did a quick search within 50 miles of Syracuse NY and found 18 AMA sanctioned Airfields and I'll bet there are RC pilots flying at those fields completely unaware of that NOTAM and are operating as normal.

I would interpret that NOTAM as an advisory to manned aircraft that are transitioning through that area that there are unmanned aircraft/UAVs in that airspace, on those days, during that period, and at those times. It is not a restriction on UAVs over or above those that already exists under either of the rules frameworks outside of those times.

Meaning:

Monday thru Thursday - every week from November 29th 2017 thru March 30th 2018 - between the hours of 4:23 PM to 9:00 PM (Eastern Standard time converted from Zulu) - that Zone is in effect from the surface to 10,000 feet AGL.

Outside of those dates and times follow whichever rules framework you are flying under. ;)

Last edited:
I would add; the above is for the 60 mile radius circle you pointed out. Within that Special Area of Operation, there are 3 other SAOs that have their own restrictions within those areas.

A few things to ponder. A NOTAM is an advisory to and for Airmen, providing notification of a condition that could impact safety of flight they need to be aware of. A temporary flight restriction (TFR) is a mandatory restriction prohibiting everyone, except those specified to the contrary, to operate within a defined area. In the case of the referenced NOTAM the FAA is making Airmen (note I didn't say pilots of manned or unmanned aircraft) aware on unmanned activity in that area to alert them to their presence. Flight of other sUAS in that area is not restricted because of sUAS being operated by the entity that requested the NOTAM. If the airspace you want to operate in is normally legal to fly in you still can, but you have been advised that another system might be flying in the area so keep your eyes open.

Commercial or recreational really doesn't matter in some ways anymore. As the FAA has classified all RC helicopters, airplanes, multirotors, jets, etc. as "aircraft" everyone that operates them became an Airman. We are now called "pilots" regardless of whether or not we agree with that classification. Part 336 makes it pretty clear that all who fly are individually responsible for understanding when and where you can safely and legally operate. 336 included a very broad FAA punitive "catch all" that's referenced as being applicable to recreational flyers; careless and reckless operation of an aircraft. Because someone is new to the hobby or has ignored the many things that can affect them is not an excuse. The guy that put his Phantom in the path of a Blackhawk tried that one through his attorney and it's not working. They (FAA) also mention that recreational flyers need to operate within the safety guidelines of a national community based organization. The most widely recognized organization that developed safety guidelines is the AMA, and they most certainly do recommend modelers check available publications relative to flight safety and flight restrictions. In fact, they send advisory e-mails out to members in areas where TFR's would be applicable to their area and activities.

Now for the 107 operator; they have no excuses whatsoever for pretty much anything that wasn't directly related to an unexpected catastrophic failure of a flight control system. New or old 107 operator doesn't matter. They took the test and in so doing they made a blanket statement they are fully cognizant of the rules, regulations, processes, FAA publication system, whatever, and they agree to comply with the letter of the law. All of the laws, not just the ones they happen to be aware of. It's their individual responsibility to continue with their study of the rules governing our National Airspace System. It's a whole lot of reading and comprehension doesn't come overnight. Those $200.00 cram courses leave everyone that takes them woefully under educated. They only things they learned is the correct answer format for a particular test question, which is quickly forgotten. When they submitted their test results for a 107 certificate they swore they knew what they are required to know and agree to comply. They've nowhere to run.

So NOTAM's and TFR's are applicable to anyone that flies, without exception. You can ignore a NOTAM and as long as nothing happens all is good, however, you could become a flight risk to others through your ignorance. We can never ignore a TFR.

For those so interested, you can obtain a free copy of the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, a book that provides a vast amount of aviation training reference material and airspace system info. You may have to create a user account but that costs nothing. Just go to the link and download it. Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Other free reference materials can be found here: Aviation Handbooks & Manuals

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
WOW !
Thanks Ty and Pat for the detailed explanation.
First just a hobbyist, and was just surprised to see such a large area so close to home compared to the rest of the country.
I have since found out that the Syracuse Air Nation Guard based out of Hancock Field (Syracuse,NY) is now used as a base for General Atomics MQ-9B Reaper Drones.
Maybe this is why such a large area is noted.

Probable reason indeed, but why the Air National Guard needs a remotely operated aerial weapons platform to fly in U.S. airspace is very troubling. Sure, it can operate at altitude higher than a Predator but the Reaper can carry considerably more “stores”.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cosmoarts