Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question for the Experts on Here

Reaction score
To all of the people on this forum that can read telemetry and generally know the answer to just about every question that's asked on here, first of all thank you. We all appreciate you so much.

I'm genuinely curious though, how did you all become so knowledgeable about this hobby and Yuneec drones in particular? I'm just curious because this hobby hasn't been around for too long so I'm wondering where all the expertise came from.

Appreciate you all, keep up the good work.

Reactions: Jimmie
That's a good question that I have been a bit reticent about asking. There are hardcore amateurs here and pros also. I am neither. I just try to learn as much as I can comprehend and that's when I realize how much my brain needs to be helped along. This is the place to get info. If you are looking for Jimmy Hoffa then this might be the wrong forum. [emoji41]

Before I quit drinking I knew a lot more also. I hope the experts come by now and answer your question. Wtfd must have multiple degrees in ,well everything.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I learn from my mistakes, so If I want to know more about something I make as many mistakes as I can,,,,,,,,,,

I use my rainy days off to watch Youtube video's and learn from their mistakes, saves me making them,,,,,

I read, read read & read, then put that to use to see if it works,
I ask questions here and elsewhere,

There are a lot of types of drones that interest me, I have a few different ones, but the common thing is lipo batteries, so during the rainy mornings I'll watch that dry subject matter and keep my coffee warmed.

Thing is, if someone has a question I don't know the answer to then I read what others have to say about it, then I ask questions.

For all practical purposes I have been tech oriented since elementary school. I loved science and math and my hobbies have tended that direction. I love photography, electronics and computers, and aviation. Drones bring all of that together for me.

As far as learning Yuneec aircraft goes, I discovered this forum a short time after getting a Breeze 4K. I read many, many threads about the Breeze. I learned quite a lot and started discovering things about the aircraft on my own and in cooperation with a few others on the forum.

I started reading about the other models and poured over the info threads learning as much as I could. I asked questions when I didn’t understand and there are a lot of very intelligent members that provide the answer or at least steer you in the right direction.

If you want to learn about reading the telemetry I would highly recommend that you download a copy of Q500log2kml by @h-elsner from his website Private Homepage h-elsner on the downloads page. The download has the manual included and is very informative.

So read, learn, question, learn more, and share with the community.

Reactions: 7cyclops
You nailed it with attentive knowledge of videos and reading. I learn something everyday.

Reactions: JMolter
How did I end up here ?

One winter Saturday morning spotted a Q500 4K cheap, so I watched a bunch of reviews, Capt'n Drone & other's.
Decided to go for it because I could use my IMax charger on the main battery, I don't like priority batteris for drones but these,
Any way googling my questions I found this forum, hung around, shared idea's,

I guess a basic curiosity of just about everything. Seriously though, I've been doing RC since the mid-70s. Needed some basic knowledge about electronics. I started getting into computers in the late 70s. Learned about programming proms to make your own ROM chips trying to replicate game cartridges create custom cartridges etc. With all of this came an understanding of how the software works with hardware, i.e. firmware. Through all of this was a transition from analog electronics to digital electronics. Along with RC cars, boats, trucks, tanks, planes, helis, model rockets, etc. and basic knowledge of aeronautics is obtained. From there basic physics knowledge helps to explain some aeronautics. I and some friends we also interested in filming super 8 movies and editing. Now you need to learn about photography, lighting, scripts, acting, etc. Not being satisfied with holding a shaky camera, knowledge of stabilization is required like the concepts behind the Stedicam.

Now add drones, basically a flying computer with a stabilized camera, i.e a flying stabilized tripod which requires minimal skill to fly. Don't get me started on the intense mathematics behind the scenes just to get a drone to loiter, not to mention the math behind a PID (proportional–integral–derivative) controller which proportionally responds to and automatically dampens stick or gimbal movements. Throw in solid-state gyros on all 3 axis to know any movement in 3D space.

I guess what I'm saying is, it isn't any one thing, but more of a culmination of years of accumulated knowledge which is built upon to understand the 'easy button' that is a modern drone.

This is my path, others may have similar stories or other stories. Either way, this took a lot of accumulated work from books and the experience and mentoring of others. Because of this and knowing what it takes to actually get a drone to fly the way it does we tend to lose patience and can come off grumpy when someone new to this whines about, why doesn't it work. It should just work.

The fact that it does work constantly amazes me and I take none of it for granted. People new this just expect it to work with no underlying knowledge of what it takes. Most just turn it on and expect it to work.

I'm sure there is a multipage (as in hundreds of pages) flow charts showing all of the pre and post diagnostic conditions which need to be met by all of the sensors and triggers which need to work flawlessly, repeatedly time and time again every time you turn the ignition key of your car to start the engine.

We live in a complex world built upon the shoulders of giants.

Last edited:
I was a professional musician for 43 years so the complex world of computers and technology extraordinaire I left my knowledge of electronics left back in 60's when as a hobby I made amplifiers.

I'm genuinely curious though, how did you all become so knowledgeable.

Think of two kids. One on each end of a spectrum. Each kid takes a new toy out of the box.

The first kid looks at the toy. If it doesn’t work right or it doesn’t do exactly what he wants, he calls it a POS and tosses it in the waste bin.

The other kid reads the instructions, plays with the toy awhile to see what it does. Then he gets a screwdriver and takes it apart to see HOW it does what it does. And if it doesn’t do everything he wants, he tries to find ways to change it.

The mistakes, the tree branches, the new toys, the videos. Even the forum itself. Yes, these are great examples of motivation and available resources.

But here’s the bottom line:
The members you asked about are the kids with the screwdriver.

Think of two kids. One on each end of a spectrum. Each kid takes a new toy out of the box.

The first kid looks at the toy. If it doesn’t work right or it doesn’t do exactly what he wants, he calls it a POS and tosses it in the waste bin.

The other kid reads the instructions, plays with the toy awhile to see what it does. Then he gets a screwdriver and takes it apart to see HOW it does what it does. And if it doesn’t do everything he wants, he tries to find ways to change it.

The mistakes, the tree branches, the new toys, the videos. Even the forum itself. Yes, these are great examples of motivation and available resources.

But here’s the bottom line:
The members you asked about are the kids with the screwdriver.
And yes WTFD if you ever need an extension ladder just call me. Keith

To all of the people on this forum that can read telemetry and generally know the answer to just about every question that's asked on here, first of all thank you. We all appreciate you so much.

I'm genuinely curious though, how did you all become so knowledgeable about this hobby and Yuneec drones in particular? I'm just curious because this hobby hasn't been around for too long so I'm wondering where all the expertise came from.

Appreciate you all, keep up the good work.
I bought my H480 in 2016. Joined the forum and read every thread that was relevant from that point forward. If I didn't see the answer I searched online and watched all the videos I could find. Flew, crashed, flew more, learned from my and others mistakes then crashed again. It's a process. Just stay with it and do the same, the crashing will happen when it feels you are getting to big for your britches to put you in your place again.

FLying in or on anything has always instilled a fear in me. I used to dream about going nose down in a glass fronted helo. But I have always been fascinated with birds in flight,esp birds of prey. I could wath them for hours. Well when small drones appeared esp. in the media about 6 or 7 years ago I just had to have one,,,so I could soar.Wife bought me a sky viper 920HD,,BS. Crashed it about 50 times,thanks to Wal Mart extended warranty. No shame.After several other drones I ran into this forum,bought my Q500+ and last year my first H. These are a challenge for an old fart with CRS,but Thank you to this forum I have learned a lot and keep learning from those who share everyday.Sometimes I will carefully answer a thread just to take some pressure off the smart guys,,If I Can. Hope we can all keep this up through these times . Keith C.

Whats always puzzled me, is the trouble shooting part, and work a rounds how one learns that part ? I can see the mechanical part, but with no formal training how many years it must take to understand those concepts is quite frankly beyond me, l guess at first alot is found by chance ? Seeing as I'm a late starter maybe before I die I'll get that part ? Wish my dad was still here, he never graduated high school, but there was nothing he couldnt fix on his own give him a lock and he could make a key by hand, he would have made a good crook if he had a few days to break in ? This would have been right up his alley

Someone once told me troubleshooting could be taught. I guess in some sense, but I also believe it's something you're born with, like musical talent. "SPOCK: As with all living things, each will perform according to their gifts."

That said, you need to start simple and understand what it takes to make something happen. For example, your car doesn't run. Well at a basic level, a car needs oxygen, fuel, and a spark. If you determine it's out of fuel, that should be an easy fix, add fuel. If it still doesn't work, is it getting oxygen? Is there a spark? It's sort of a process of elimination which guides you down the rabbit hole.

Multirotors for me happened through an outside push. Having been in RC since my youth and later with military drone propulsion R&D, some people came to me one day and asked if it was possible to design and build a multi-hour capable electric multirotor. The initial answer was no. A couple days thinking about it changed perspective and that answer was modified to yes, but with conditions.

The people then asked, can you design and build it? I had no experience with multirotors but auto pilots, electric model aviation, and radio controlled aircraft systems were no strangers. My answer was “we can try.” That was the start of a hybrid multirotor design process learning it could be done but was hard on bank accounts.

You learn a lot about something unknown when you dive in feet first with product research and hands on practical experimentation. You sink or swim. To really understand these things it helps a lot if you build one or more from scratch. The web makes it pretty easy as there’s no shortage of places to go for answers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop