Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions Before Pulling the Trigger

Reaction score
I have been lurking for a long time and have been undecided about which drone to get. So finally, the H is for me! This will be my first.

So just a few questions:

I am thinking Pro Package without Real Sense. I can always add that later. Right? I don't see myself getting close to anything or hot dogging.

Who do you think will have the best holiday price, and what should it be?

Should I focus more on the who then how much? Since I am new I think that customer support will be important.

How can I be sure that I am getting the latest model? Sometimes the lowest price is the old one that has been sitting on a shelf for a little to long.

And any other things I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bob

Hello Bob...
Current (11/21/17) deals on the H for black Friday is $300 off both real sense and base Model...
at all major retailers..(Best buy,Costco,amazon...ect)
depending on where you live, check out of state vendors to save tax if you are taxable
I wouldn't worry about shelf models as the updates will take care of older builds

I would consider the one without real sense as I don't have it and probably would never need it as I don't fly low enough to use it. Spend the $$ on extra batteries as you'll get more use out of them !

After you purchase, join the Owners map !
Yuneec Typhoon Pilots Home Locations Map

Last edited:
Thanks Atomic08. I live in Delaware. What is this "tax" of which you speak? LOL

I do however live in the "Lower Slower" part of the state where we have no large stores. So I would have to go to Maryland and they do have tax. Most all of what I buy comes from online. That is why I am thinking Vertigo or Carolina Drones.

@BobDE
Welcome to the forum.
Atomic pretty well nailed the response.
I do not have the real sense on my H480. There are still a few places that have the module for sale as a separate item. $400-$600 depending on where you shop. The module is a design that the user can quickly install. (No need to send it in somewhere)
Black Friday is soon here and deals can be found.
Good luck with your purchase decision, let us know if we can be of any further help. And PLEASE make your first flight in a large open field.

Reactions: Robert Brooks
Hi Bob,

I am not from USA, but I do own a H with real sense and I think I had a bargain with that package. Since the RS is quite an expensive extra to put on later.
So if you plan to do some 'follow me' with the family or fly in not-racing mode in confined spaces I'd certainly advise to get RS included (and definitally with black friday announcements, if you manage to get complete package for the normal price of 'skinned' package).

RS works fabulously!

Furthermore I advise to search this forum (and/or YouTube) for tutorials. Captain Drone has a few very nice ones. And also I advise to buy the 'simulator'usb stick to get aquainted with the controls of the ST-16 before you get up in the air.

Cheers!

Reactions: Racepro60
Wherever you buy from, just make sure they are listed as a dealer on Yuneec's website. If purchasing on Amazon, look for the phrase "Sold by and ships from Amazon" and I would steer clear of any other sellers on there unless you can confirm they are a Yuneec dealer or Yuneec themselves. In the past I have seen several listings on Amazon that are not. Personally I have been using B&H for over 20 years, unmatched customer service and turn around. If you want a good deal, pick three or four of the big retailers; Best Buy, B&H, Amazon, Horizon Hobby etc, and start checking those sites at least twice a day starting tomorrow. The RealSense versions are down to 1,199.00 right now and the Pros are 999.00; each with a wand, backpack and two batteries, the base model is also 999.00. It wouldn't surprise me to see the base drop to under 800 and the others get below a grand by this weekend, but only time will tell.

Reactions: rdonson
You’ve received some very good comments above. All I can add is that I don’t regret getting the RS module even though I rarely use it (so far).

On YouTube also look for TH480 videos by Jeff Sibelius.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Yuneec H920+ (Plus) Pro Bundle - Commercial Hexacopter with Pro Action Grip and CGO
Your Price:
On sale:$3,299.00
Retail Price:$4,399.99
You Save:$1,100.99(25%)This includes the CG04

Yuneec Typhoon H - UHD Camera Drone with GPS
Your Price:
On sale:$799.00
Retail Price:$1,299.99
You Save:$500.99(39%)

At Vertigo Drones, Awesome!!

Vertigo Drones is a Yuneec preferred service and repair center. They specialize in only Yuneec products for aerial photography. They are also a member and supporter of this forum.

I'd like to add Terrestrial Imaging to that list, who is also a Yuneec authorized full service dealer with great after sale support. At the moment Yuneec is sponsoring a Black Friday sale through all their dealers. The current sale pricing is about as low as I've seen it since the H was released and see no reason for it to go much lower in the next month or so.

BTW, Terrestrial is another vendor that produces numerous tutorial videos for publication at You Tube.

I have the realsense model. We have a ton of parks with trees here. I used the follow me mode and it worked. Made me nervous when it was navigating between 3 trees, it did it pretty well. I do not regret it because this was one of the reasons for getting it, My h is above a lot of roofs, and there is alway a chimney, antenna, tree, or sat dish. It helps in those situations for me. I wish i could have picked my h up for 1200 fully loaded.

Thanks for all of the replies! I forgot a question though. Is there anything else that I need to get with it. Particularly an after market battery charger, or perhaps some lens filters? Thanks again!

Bob

Some are okay with the charge times that the supplied charger takes - others are not. An aftermarket charger is a good choice if you plan on flying more than a few times in a day. Also consider if you want a charger that will only do the Typhoon flight batteries or a more generalized charger that will do all types of batteries. When I go into the field I have four type of batteries that need charging so I got a charger (and all necessary leads) to fit the bill. Filters are always a good thing but honestly if this is your first multi-rotor, you may want to spend the first few weeks/month paying a little more attention to the flying side of "drones" rather than the camera side - you can fly without taking pics but you can't takes pics without flying. ;) But yeah, a good set of ND filters is part of the kit.

The Hitec X2 AC is a good all around charger for about 100 bucks - but you'll need to buy the necessary charge and balance leads.

ai17950404-114-thumb-main.jpg

Reactions: callmecue
Thanks for all of the replies! I forgot a question though. Is there anything else that I need to get with it. Particularly an after market battery charger, or perhaps some lens filters? Thanks again!

Bob
Something to consider is a backpack
This one work great for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...age_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=yuneecpilots-20
and my Review from last year when I received it
CHEAP Backpack for Typhoon H review
Also watch this from Captain Drone on how to store your props

Last edited:
Atomic08,

I was thinking about getting the Pro Pack. That does come with a back pack. Am I correct?

I guess that I have also been talked into Real Sense. I am thinking that it could be added later, but not for the same price that I could get now. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! LOL

Here's a charger I use for batteries. There is nothing wrong with the other chargers mentioned but this seems to charge, discharge and charge to storage equally well without the hassle of bag of cables. If you have more than just the H480 the other chargers are probably the better way to go. If you're looking to simplify you may want to consider these.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071W1DBZP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

this one seems identical but with a different name

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06X9S1CFM/ref=psdc_2234135011_t1_B071W1DBZP

rdonson,

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. The discharge and storage functions would make the batteries last longer and carry more of a charge. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Also worth considering is a launch pad if you're going to be launching/landing in dirt/sand/grass. I'd recommend one of the larger ones as the H480 just fits on the smaller ones and is a trick to center.

https://smile.amazon.com/LETMY-Univ...=1511383450&sr=8-7&keywords=drone+landing+pad

BTW, I highly recommend using the tent stakes. Early on I got lazy on one flight didn't use the stakes and was a bit shocked that the prop wash from the H480 pushed the pad around substantially. After chasing it for a while I just landed on level, close cut grass. Lesson learned.

Reactions: grandpawmoses
rdonson,

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. The discharge and storage functions would make the batteries last longer and carry more of a charge. Is that correct?

Thanks!

That's what everyone says and what I've experienced. Also get some LiPo safety bags for the batteries. I also keep my LiPo batteries in the safety bags inside a .50 cal ammo box. I'm probably overly cautious using the ammo box but I sleep well at night. :)

Leave the ammo box top loosely latched. Unless you've drilled holes in an ammo box they can become a hand grenade when batteries ignite inside a tightly closed box. In principle what happens inside the box is the same as what happens inside the casing of a grenade. The expansion of gasses is just slower in the box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval