Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Radio Interference

Reaction score
Question for those smarter than me:

I work for a community newspaper in central California. I am Part 107 rated. I have used my TH to cover many events. On 7-3-19 my scanner alerted me to a structure fire about 6 miles away. It turned out to be a mobile home that was fully engulfed when Fire Dept got there and I wasn't far behind. I have a press pass and usually check with someone before launching, but have never had an objection. In the interest of expediency, I launched right away. I got some good video. I was up about 6 minutes when a fireman told me to land because I was interfering with their radio communications.
The local city Fire Chief has asked me to be on scene to provide an aerial view of the situation, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to be on scene. Given the fact that more an more Fire, Police, & Sheriff's Dept are incorporating drones, I don't think I buy their reason for asking me to land. I did land immediately so as not to cause an issue, but plan to follow up with County Fire Captains.
We were in a rural location, in an orange grove, but I experienced no issues on my scanner.
So, my question is, is it possible for the TH's radios to interfere with first responders' radios.

Thanks

First, you did the right thing for landing when asked.

The only thing that makes sense is to sit down with the appropriate responders who know what frequencies their gear uses. Then compare that to the frequencies used by your TH. Then you can have a knowledgeable conversation on whether or not there might be interference.

Although it’s possible some form of harmonics created interference, my guess is an emergency responder wanted you out of the air and out of the way and used “interference” as a means to avoid argument. Lacking an authorization letter from California’s office of emergency services you were operating illegally anyway. We cannot interfere in any way with emergency service ops. If any of them on the ground felt their safety was threatened by the presence of a multirotor, or helicopter surveillance was being delayed, you would be interfering. The penalty is egregious.

Any verbal authorizations you may have or had would be worthless the moment you were arrested as whomever gave that permission would deny it happened to prevent them from receiving a negative review or punitive action from their superiors.

Living in the Central Valley I’m aware that some of the rural counties employ drones in their fire fighting operations but all that I’m aware of use department or LEA insiders, not unattached civilians.

Reactions: Phaedrus
If the Public safety spectrum does not include any other frequencies than the ones covered in @AH-1G ’s post, then the Typhoon H did not cause the interference.

That crew needs to find the source in that area that was. Quite likely a person with a CB on the 11MHz band or someone with other Amateur Radio equipment of some type.

Man, I feel like a bragging dad bringing up my journalist kid again. But, she's a drone enthusiast like her dad and keeps my first TH Pro in her arsenal of tricks. I'll simply relay the discussion (as it was relayed to me) she had with her first editor when she requested to use it in her coverage of local events/emergencies.

She was informed that under no condition was she to use her drone to cover ANY public event or emergency unless specifically approved by her editor, who in turn required specific explicit approval from the appropriate authority or onsite emergency Authority for the specific flight. Period. No exceptions.

This limits her personal liability, since the decision is not hers to make, and allows the newspaper to better manage its own liability. It also maintains appropriate cooperation between news services and regional authorities.

If you fly in an active emergency event and your flight is deemed as problematic for responders the liability is not only yours, but also the news service for which you are working.

Possible multiple news services flying multiple drones in any situation is a recipe for disaster and an unnecessary burden for emergency event Authority. This is how it was explained to her.

I agree with PatR, the radio interference was most likely an excuse used to gain immediate compliance and negate any possible argument.

Last edited:
All the above and if your volunteer support is to be a regular possibility, then you need to plan ahead to become a participant in their next training exercise.
Take a reporter with you to the exercise, it can make a good filler story.

Interference works both ways.
If they key up on a harmonic of the frequency the H is using, the H will channel hop to a clear frequency.
A training exercise will reveal if that is working as it should.
It will also show you how much stand-off distance they are comfortable with.

Last edited:
I don’t have an answer to the electronic “interference’, but I tend to think with @PatR .

You did the exactly correct thing by complying. Kudos. Even if you had written authorization and were in contact with the incident managers, as soon as they tell you you’re interfering, get out of the way and land. Let them work it out and authorize continued flight.

I agree 100% with landing as requested. Just saying that the interference with communications would be nigh unto impossible given the 2.4GHz and 5.8 GHz used with the TH, and the published frequencies from the post of AH-1G.

If you are using anything to transmit the video feed of the ST-16 from the HDMI port for a live feed to the station or social media that may be another source.

Although it’s possible some form of harmonics created interference, my guess is an emergency responder wanted you out of the air and out of the way and used “interference” as a means to avoid argument. Lacking an authorization letter from California’s office of emergency services you were operating illegally anyway. We cannot interfere in any way with emergency service ops. If any of them on the ground felt their safety was threatened by the presence of a multirotor, or helicopter surveillance was being delayed, you would be interfering. The penalty is egregious.

Any verbal authorizations you may have or had would be worthless the moment you were arrested as whomever gave that permission would deny it happened to prevent them from receiving a negative review or punitive action from their superiors.

Living in the Central Valley I’m aware that some of the rural counties employ drones in their fire fighting operations but all that I’m aware of use department or LEA insiders, not unattached civilians.

Pat, I didn't realize you are in the Central Valley. Any chance of getting together?

Thank you everyone for your replies. As always, I have learned a few things in the process.

I'd also like to add that I have had my H for 3 yrs this month, logged (recorded) 243 flights for a total of 45 hrs. I have had only one "run-in" with a fence (my fault) and absolutely no other flight issues. I am so pleased and impressed with this aircraft and very concerned it may become a paper-weight if the battery supply dries up. Aren't there enough TH's out there to make it worthwhile for at least one manufacturer to continue to make them?

Thanks again.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Pat, I didn't realize you are in the Central Valley. Any chance of getting together?

There’s always a chance. I’m in Calaveras County. That’s as close to a pin point location as I’ll give in an open forum.

Don’t worry about the battery supply drying up. You have alternatives available to you. Should you elect to take that route at some point but uncomfortable with doing the work involved, get in touch. You could bring it over to make the change or I could make a power lead for you you install.

Be advised, the labor rate is pretty steep. You get to buy lunch, reimburse for materials (~$3.00) and bring a 6er of Mtn. Dew. Shop space is SRO unless you can handle sitting on a milk crate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
For those who do not realize it, the California Central Valley stretches around 430 miles from Redding in the north to the base of the Grapevine in the south. It is one big flat piece of real estate!!

Reactions: PatR
Yep, and why I said there’s a chance. In an 800 mile long state the central valley covers over half of it.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Yep, and why I said there’s a chance. In an 800 mile long state the central valley covers over half of it.
Although we are not next-door neighbors, I have family Grass Valley and someone we've been wanting to visit in Placerville. So, I'll stock up on the Mt Dew, save my pennies, and see if I can find a worthy frog.

You have to pay him $400 just to stand in his presence. ;)

He lives on top of the only mountain in 200 miles. After the 3 day pilgrimage to the summit, you’ll need to speak the passphrase to enter the cave. Do not make eye contact and say:

“I am not worthy, I know not what I do.”

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt