Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RE: Battery Percentage Levels

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question with the new H Plus, what's the minimum battery percentage before the first alarm goes off on the ST16S ?

Went out the other day and got 20 minutes flight time down to 32% left on the lipo's.

Others have stated 25 minutes so can I go down to 20%?

With the original H which I still have I go down to 14.5v before landing so obviously I would like to get some idea in terms of the percentage to maintain safe flying & good battery life.

Many thanks in advance :)

I would like to know as well. I did get the warning one time but I too involved with finishing the flight and landing to check the percentage.

Refer to this chart to get a reasonably accurate assessment of remaining capacity:

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 791x590.
a7099620-241-Lipoly%20Voltage%20vs.%20State%20of%20Charge%202S%20-%206S%20Packs.JPG

While I can not speak as to when the warning will show up. This chart is a guide line to use, irregardless of what the ST-16 is telling you.
I still wish we could set are own warning voltage. Set it higher when fly long distance, lower when flying close by.
I have had mine bark a voltage warning, backed off on the throttle and flew around another 3 minutes before I received another warning.
It can be very subject to how hard or easy you are on the controls.

Looking at the chart I presume it would be about 20% battery level on the ST16S.
Will have a look at the H520 threads as I presume that would be similar with their st16s’s as remember someone manning about a 13 minutes flight time after an update. They also mentioned flying down to 20% as well.
Will have a look later, off to fly again now lol

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ok got it
Just finished my flight and first warning was at 26% landed at 25% on the second warning 22 minutes safe flying.
If I take the C23 off it would probably do 30 mins lol
Still can’t believe how quiet it is

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi,

Just a quick question with the new H Plus, what's the minimum battery percentage before the first alarm goes off on the ST16S ?

Went out the other day and got 20 minutes flight time down to 32% left on the lipo's.

Others have stated 25 minutes so can I go down to 20%?

With the original H which I still have I go down to 14.5v before landing so obviously I would like to get some idea in terms of the percentage to maintain safe flying & good battery life.

Many thanks in advance :)
Both batteries that we flew today gave us the 1st battery warning at 26%.

For what it is worth, as mentioned by most above the first warning is at 26% indicated on the ST-16s but then the warnings occur every 30 seconds there after. Also the Plus flight Pacs are LiHv and have a different voltage than the standard Typhoon H LiPo packs - Storage is 15.6 instead of 15.2 or, 3.9 volts per cell vs. 3.8 volts and fully charged we are at 17.4 vs. 16.8 for the standard Typhoon LiPo packs so be advised the chart above is LiPo and is slightly different than the batteries in the Plus

Also, after landing right at the ST-16s indicated 26% and letting the battery sit and cool for 30 minutes, the indicated voltage when plugged into my Hitec X2 AC charger is much lower and shows around 12% capacity is remaining. My routine is to be on the ground before the first warning.

Reactions: Barton and thoneter
so what happens if you fly the + battery in the 480?

Haven't tried and don't think I will, and I know some have said its safe to fly the 480 battery in the Plus but, I think I am going to hold on that as well. The extra cost of a new Plus battery vs a 480 battery is some what justified by the peace of mind I think I will have while flying.

I just got my new EV-Peak charger in today, and charged up my 3 batteries. I have one battery that has one cell only charging to 4.18v, all the rest charge to 4.20v. that battery has a very slight puff to the label part it as well. Is this battery still safe to be usable?

Last edited:
I know some guys will fly with a slightly puffed battery but if it were me I would give it a saltwater bath;) as I don't think it will get better and will likely get worse.

Reactions: Sweet
so what happens if you fly the + battery in the 480?

The Plus battery will not work in the 480 because it is a higher voltage as specified above... and even though the standard H battery is supposedly able to work in the Plus, we have seen this occur...

Swollen Battery Stuck

Have 2 standard H batteries that I kept from my setup... however unless I see more empirical evidence that the incident above, was an extremely rare occurrence, I will end up purchasing an extra Plus battery... not worth the $110 savings.

Reactions: Sweet and Ty Pilot
I just got my new EV-Peak charger in today, and charged up my 3 batteries. I have one battery that has one cell only charging to 4.18v, all the rest charge to 4.20v. that battery has a very slight puff to the label part it as well. Is this battery still safe to be usable?
I'm not disputing with Ty Pilot so that's not my intention is this post. I've got a couple batteries that I've been flying for over a year that are puffed. When I start to have charging issues or the cells get out of balance I will then retire them. I have 2 920's and I don't use the original batteries unless I need to do something with the 920 on the ground. The batteries are useless with a lot of resistance which is more of a concern for me. Keep in mind that's my SOP.

Like Ty there a a lot more learned guys than I but there's a lot of uninformed information taken for granted and passed around the forums. For me I have a lot of skepticism with what's said and compare it to what's found from reliable sources. A few learned fliers have already posted lipo battery sites to get reliable info. No intent to piss anyone off.

No worries here @thoneter I came to the 'drone world from the RC world in which power came from liquids like JP4 or Nitro methane and Alcohol, ;) this whole battery thing - I am still learning and I do tend to be over-cautious sometimes. :cool:

No worries here @thoneter I came to the 'drone world from the RC world in which power came from liquids like JP4 or Nitro methane and Alcohol, ;) this whole battery thing - I am still learning and I do tend to be over-cautious sometimes. :cool:
Overcautious is a good thing. I'm a cheap skate so I want to use my batteries to the bitter end which could lead me to my 480 planting daisies 6 feet under. The nice thing about the 920 is the battery redundancy. As far as batteries go there are some very learned guys here but I doubt they even have the full knowledge needed to know when a battery is going to take a dump. Maybe I like my batteries the way I like woman; a little puffy!

Reactions: Sweet and Ty Pilot
Repeating what has been posted previously... check the give of that H480 battery. If it is very flexible, it is likely heat that has expanded the label plate itself.

As a previous poster has stated, I have a couple with bowed nameplates that are the best in my fleet.

If there is little to no give (for a bowed plate) then by all means take the necessary action as to use and disposal.

By the way... that “stuck” battery issue was self-induced; a known deformed battery was inserted for use in calibration only. Pilot paid the price trying to get it out! The standard H480 in “normal” conditions fits just fine in the H520 and should in the Plus.

Just sayin’!

Jeff

Reactions: PatR
By the way... that “stuck” battery issue was self-induced; a known deformed battery was inserted for use in calibration only. Pilot paid the price trying to get it out! The standard H480 in “normal” conditions fits just fine in the H520 and should in the Plus.

PREFACE: I would do this experiment myself if I had the equipment...

Do any Plus pilots have the following, to conduct a test?

● H Plus
● H Standard or Pro
● 2 H Batteries
● 1 Plus Battery
● One of those handheld thermometer guns

To be valid, this must be done sequentially, under the same weather and flight parameters.

Do a normal flight, with camera running... no crazy stuff. Fly to same relative voltage level... just above 1st warning.

Fly the H (STD/PRO) with standard H battery. Upon landing, remove battery and immediately measure temperature.
Repeat flight with H Plus and Plus battery... again measure temperature.
Repeat flight with H Plus and 2nd standard H battery... again measure temperature.

Report results here... if the standard H battery run in the Plus comes back significantly warmer... this would indicate that the additional heat being generated will over time create conditions favorable to inducing swelling, at an accelerated rate.

That would certainly present a caveat to use of the standard battery in the Plus.

Last edited:
As I mentioned I am probably not going to do a battery swap, mostly because two batteries will let me do most of what I need for the time being. But I can report, that temperature wise, running them (H and Plus batteries) down to the first warning, I would guess that they are very close to the same temp.

Puffing of these batteries is not just from heat, leaving them fully charged for extended periods will puff the batteries as will running them too low.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval